Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Participation at Matches

99gski

1. Mostly USPSA. Steel matches when available locally. IDPA when they are not conflicting with something else. (which is rare lately) I believe we are getting an ICORE club this year so I will hit those when able.

2. I shoot locally about twice a week. (except during the winter) Mostly with revolver but will shoot something else occasionally and for 3-gun matches.

3. At least 4 majors a year. More depending on how far away they are.

4. I've shot the last 4 USPSA nationals with a revolver. (got to finish 3 of them :rolleyes: )

5. I think I already shoot as much as I can and don't know how much more I could afford to shoot. As it is right now I am backing way off, or stopping completely, shooting sporting clays this year as that has become extremely expensive and time consuming.

6. I became a little bored shooting limited and was talked into shooting revolver for a season and got hooked. I find the shooting a challenge and fun. As are the shooters. Plus, it can be real fun to beat up on the auto's occasionally.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,Julie.I have decided to shoot revo this year.I just got tired of the "race" and have dedicated this year, and maybe more to come,to having FUN and shooting revo all year.I plan on shooting as many matches as possible and smilin' the whole time.

Bubba-

My mentor and #1 friend has shamed me into shooting revolver this year instead of open as I had planned. Local matches and Area 1 only. My 5" 625 doesn't play well in other sports.

Would like S&W to bring back the regular 5" 625 so I can buy a spare.

1. I shoot revo in USPSA, IDPA, and steel matches

2. 7-8 times a month - 5 steel matches, 1 USPSA match, 1-2 IDPA matches

3. I just got very serious with the shooting game last fall, I've only participated in one major (level I) match, and one bigass steel match. However I will be hitting as many as time/shooting fund allows this year. Likely 7 or 8 larger matches, the vast majority of which will be shot with revo.

4. I will shoot the USPSA Nationals with revolver this year.

5. We are considering getting pin shooting up and going again in my area, other than that I would consider an ICORE match if one was closer to me. I would also think about trying bullseye with a revolver for fun.

6. I like shooting revo because I get all my brass back ;). One of the main aspects of revolver shooting that appeals to me is how much the dang thing teaches you about trigger control, recoil management, and most importantly - making each and every shot count. You just can't keep throwing rounds downrange in hopes of getting better hits...

Here's the number one reason though - it's fun! I have more fun shooting revolver than any other gun. Not quite sure why but every time I pull the wheelgun out I'm more relaxed than when I pick up an autoloader.

7. Got that one covered already.

Edited by needknees

1. I started shooting revolver in IDPA and have since gravitated into USPSA and Steel.

2. Usually 2 to 3 a month.

3. I've been averaging 3 to 4 majors a year for the last 4 yrs or so, and so far only 2 have been with a bottom feeder. ;)

4. I shot the 2008 LPR nationals with my revolver and am considering a repeat in 2009.

5. I would like to try ICORE and maybe Steel Challenge if any matches were close enough.

6. I like the extra challenge and the fact that the other folks are as crazy as me and we always have a heck of a good time. Also, I've always had trouble counting past 6.

7. I think I've already covered this.

It's great that someone else is trying to help interest in the round gun.

1. What sports do you shoot your revolver in (USPSA, ICORE, IDPA, Steel, NRA, etc.)?

2. How often do you shoot revolver at the club level?

3. How many majors do you shoot each year (state/regional/areas)? And with a revolver?

4. Do you shoot a national championship with your revolver and if so which one(s)?

5. Would you consider crossing over to other shooting sports with your revolver? If so, which ones and why?

6. Why do you like to compete in the revolver divisions?

7. If you don't shoot revolver in matches, are you interested in giving it a try - why or why not?

Thanks so much!

Julie

Hello Julie,

Thanks for asking.

1. USPSA, IDPA, ICORE when I can find a match in New England, Steel

2. This time of year minimum 2 times a month, warmer weather, almost every week.

3. A7, S&W Winter Nationals, MA State IDPA, Ne regional IDPA, North East Section USPSA

4. No

5. Yup, even try occasional 22LR gallery with my 617

6. problems counting past 6 but working on it. Bought an 8 shot :surprise:

7. N/A I do occasionally stray and shoot a bottom feeder but it is rare.

See you in Springfield end of Feb. Looking forward to the Friday PM Squads.

Gary

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

1. USPSA, ICORE, Steel

2. An occasional match but I plan to shoot it more this year at club matches and the like.

3. Usually an Area match, some regionals, and state matches close.

4. If I go to the NATs this year it will be with a Revo

5. I shoot everything I can afford to at this point.... :goof:

6. It is up to shooting skill and ability, not an equipment race. Everyone is on a level playing field, period.

7. NA

If you need to talk to hardcore wheelgunners go no further than the PSA Shootout, which you undoubtedly know S&W generously sponsors every season! (Oh yeah, THANKS!) :cheers:

It is the second biggest Revolver match in the US, next to the IRC. If you want to see diehard wheelgunners hammer the steel and do some smoking reloads this is the match to do it. We finally got Jerry Miculek, Gary Thibedouax and other diehards from down south to make it up and I do believe they had a great time with the Wheelguns.

If you need us to do any info gathering for you at the match please let me know and we can try to capture whatever data you need for your project!

Great topic, many of us are grateful to see this!

DougC

1. What sports do you shoot your revolver in (USPSA, ICORE, IDPA, Steel, NRA, etc.)?

3. How many majors do you shoot each year (state/regional/areas)? And with a revolver?

4. Do you shoot a national championship with your revolver and if so which one(s)?

5. Would you consider crossing over to other shooting sports with your revolver? If so, which ones and why?

7. If you don't shoot revolver in matches, are you interested in giving it a try - why or why not?

1. ICORE, local steel matches and our local run n' gun matches.

2. Every match , usually 2 per month.

3. One(Rocky Mtn. Reg. ICORE) , but would like to do more.

4. Not yet will go to IRC someday.

5. Yes ,NRA or USPSA .

6. It's alot of fun and the people are great. :cheers: Also not so much of an equipment race .

7. n/a

Scott

1) USPSA (B Classification) IDPA (SSR, Sharpshooter) some NRA Action Pistol and PPC

2) USPSA one or two times monthly during the season (March to October) IDPA every other month

3) USPSA one or two state/sectional matches

4) No, but still hoping

5) Yes. Planning on trying ICORE this year

6) It's fun, challenging, and different.

In USPSA you have to approach stages in a completely different way then you would if you were equipped with a Limited pistol, for instance.

In IDPA, due to different stage design guidelines, it isn't quite as difficult to plan out a stage (IMHO) but it's still different and fun.

Viva La REVOlution!

1. USPSA, ICORE, Steel.

2. AT least twice a month depending on work.

3. Usually three to four.

4. Shot the Nationals in '07 and '08 with a wheel. Won C Class in '07.

5. Can't afford anymore games. Wife would probably divorce me and she is my sponsor. :roflol:

6. I started just to be different at the local club and then found out that it was more fun than Limited. Also, once I started shooting a wheel and going to other matches where there were other wheel-gunners, I found out what nice folks shoot revolver.

7. N/A

Thanks for taking an interest Julie.

I shoot revolver to avoid having to shoot against 9X21 , and now that's not working anymore either. Maybe CAS....

For the record, the S&W Indoor Nationals will be his 2nd Major IDPA match - he shot the CT State Championship in October.

Craig

Hi Julie - hope the responses build interest in wheelguns!

1. What sports do you shoot your revolver in (USPSA, ICORE, IDPA, Steel, NRA, etc.)? - USPSA , ICORE, IDPA, Bullseye league (all limited/iron sights so far)

2. How often do you shoot revolver at the club level? weekly, if I have enough "domestic credits" available

3. How many majors do you shoot each year (state/regional/areas)? First IRC last year, usually a couple state or area/regional level matches each year. And with a revolver? since about 1995 have settled on revolvers as my favorites and rarely shoot an auto anymore

4. Do you shoot a national championship with your revolver and if so which one(s)? IRC

5. Would you consider crossing over to other shooting sports with your revolver? Sure! If so, which ones and why? NRA Action Pistol looks like one I'd like to try, Steel matches if available

6. Why do you like to compete in the revolver divisions? Like getting all my brass back, less of an equipment race, reliability, great S&W DA trigger pull, revolver division attracts the nicest people, same guns I hunt with

John

1. USPSA

2. Twice a month (?)

3. (2008 was my first year shooting, I've only shot in my local matches)

4. N/A

5. I'd like to get a short S&W625 to shoot our local IDPA-ish match. (non sanctioned and none too much like IDPA. We jokingly call it "IPSC Lite")

6. I've always shot more revolver than semi auto. I like that it's a different set of skills.. "An elegant weapon for a more civilized time." B) Plus, I'll admit it. I like to see how many of the semi auto shooters I can beat. :D

7. N/A

Edited by cas

1. USPSA

2. 2 times a month

3. 3-4, 2 this year with a revolver

4. Shot '07 USPSA Nat's in Limited, hope to shoot revo in 2010 USPSA nat's

5. ICORE & Steel - if they were in my local area

6. It's FUN! Also, it is more of a challenge, and revo shooters are a different breed (mostly in a good way :roflol: ).

7. I don't always shoot revolver, mostly because there are no other local revo shooters. With a new forum member (Mikej) starting to shoot revo locally, this may change for the better :) .

Edited by chemepharmd

I've got a 627 9mm and a 625 .45. I bought the 627 for Steel and ICORE, but I'm still working out the bugs with the caliber. I asked the guys at the PC about .355 bbls either for a 9mm or .38 super and they literallly laughed at me at SHOT. Guess I won't be using that gun anytime soon. The 625 I bought had a "Randy Lee" action job in it. Apparently it wasn't the Randy Lee from Apex though because I had to put another $200.00 into the gun to get it to work at all and it's still at the gunsmiths.

Plan is to use the 625 for the occasional USPSA match in the off season. I just got it to break up the year and do something a bit different. I'll probably only shoot it at 4-5 matches a year. But who knows, I might like it.

ICORE was what I really wanted to shoot. Unfortunately right now I'm a bit steamed by the PC guys. I guess there's a huge market for 1 1/2 inch barreled 8 shot .357 mags but not enough competition shooters interested in 9mm or .38 super. And I'm not willing to pay $1600.00 for a .38 Super 627 on GunBroker.

1- USPSA & Icore& a little IDPA

2. 3-4 times a month during season

3. 1-2 level III a year

4. no nats yet

5. sure would try NRA action etc

6. I like the round gun & I like the added challenge

7. I shot the REVO all last year and plan to shoot it this year also

Good Morning,

Craig sent me a link to this thread, and I felt compelled to finally register on Enos. So for my first Enos post:

USPSA, ICORE, IDPA, Steel, Bullseye

Usually at least twice a week.

2008 was a good example:

IDPA - Outdoor and Indoor Nationals, NJ & PA state championship, Blackwater IDPA Shootout, PA Independence and Frozen Penguin match, NE Regional, Carolina Cup

The Independence and NE Regional in ESR, the remainder in SSR.

See above.

N/A

I compete with a revolver because I feel like I am cheating when I shoot a semi-auto pistol.

N/A

Thank you,

Ken

See you in a few weeks at S&W.

Hi everyone,

I am considering putting together a program to increase the number of revolver shooters in the action shooting sports. I think its wonderful to see people dusting off their old single stacks to shoot them from the club level all the way up to national championships and I would love to see the same for revolver. If you wouldn't mind chiming in with your answers to the following:

Thanks so much!

Julie

1. ICORE, USPSA Don't shoot NRA AP yet.

2. 2 time or more a month. (if I am not at trade shows or other shoots.)

3. 1 - IRC would like to shoot more but not enough time.

4. same as 3

5. don't shoot IDPA (no local club)

6. It is the toughest division to shoot. (you have to think in terms of 6 (USPSA) or 6-8 (ICORE) to shoot a stage. Anyone can buy a 29 rd S_I and shoot as fast as you can with no regard to where you are going to reload or what target you need to shoot and from where.

7. n/a

Thanks for your interest in Revolver.

David

PS. It was good to see you again at the SHOT SHOW.

USPSA, ICORE, Any kind of steel, Steel Challenge, Pro-Am NJ (Pro-Am USSA when/if they offer it)
Every match, unless they don’t have a category for revolver, then I shoot a brass thrower.
All matches shot with a Revo if possible, my "major match" definition may be different than others

but I travel to 4-6 out of state/multiple day matches a year.

Shot the Steel Challenge with 3 revo's, will shoot the Nationals SC with 2, maybe 3 revo's,

hope to shoot the USPASA Nat's this year and the just posted Revo match in Memphis, Pro-Am NJ,

PSA stock & open revo.

Not much to cross over to, maybe IDPA but I have enough games to play with all that I shoot,

would like to do the Bianci Cup again with a Revo.

As others have said, it's the challenge to get thru a 24-32 rnd COF with only 6 rnds

at a time, not having to clean mags after every stage/run is a bonus too :rolleyes:

Thanks for thinking of all us round gun shooters Julie, not sure I want the extra competition any program you

come up with will create but what the heck, the more the merrier B)

Hi everyone,

I am considering putting together a program to increase the number of revolver shooters in the action shooting sports. I think its wonderful to see people dusting off their old single stacks to shoot them from the club level all the way up to national championships and I would love to see the same for revolver. If you wouldn't mind chiming in with your answers to the following:

1. What sports do you shoot your revolver in - USPSA, ICORE, IDPA & Steel

2. How often do you shoot revolver at the club level? - at least 2x weekly

3. How many majors do you shoot each year (state/regional/areas)? 1 or 2 And with a revolver? 1 or 2

4. Do you shoot a national championship with your revolver and if so which one(s)? No

5. Would you consider crossing over to other shooting sports with your revolver? I'm already a revo shooterIf so, which ones and why?

6. Why do you like to compete in the revolver divisions? I don't have to chase the brass.

Thanks so much!

Julie

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much!

Julie

Answers don't include this past year, since I concentrated on shooting bottomfeeders...bought three M&Ps in six months. ;) Going back to round guns in the upcoming season.

1. IDPA, occasional USPSA.

2. Monthly.

3. 1-2, usually with revolver.

4. Just once - IDPA Nats in '99.

5. No, due to time constraints.

6. Because it's fun, and because I've got a huge soft spot for 4" K frames.

7. n/a

Currently IDPA, used to use one in NRA Action but stopped shooting that years ago.

Currently I only shoot revolver in IDPA, but will stop after the Cherokee Match in Atlanta.

My first major with a revolver will be the S&W Indoor in Feburary, then the VA Indoor and finally the Cherokee match.

The S&W Indoor will be my first one.

Most likely not.

I'm mainly doing it for the Cherokee Match. I l like the idea of a revolver only (sort of) match for IDPA, to promote revolver shooting.