Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Custom Shop "Infinite"

Chuck Anderson

I saw it, and I wont personally be buying one. To each his own, but I am quite happy with the feel, weight, and size of my plastic grips, as well as the versatility to easily shape and contour them to fit my hands.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it, and I wont personally be buying one. To each his own, but I am quite happy with the feel, weight, and size of my plastic grips, as well as the versatility to easily shape and contour them to fit my hands.

got to feel svi aluminum grip and right away I said "CASPIAN" I can just

get a caspian platform and call it the same.Aluminum grips are too expensive. if the range

of price was $175.00 maybe?

get a caspian platform and call it the same.Aluminum grips are too expensive. if the range

You said it before me. If I want steel grip I can use my Para and I like lighter open gun so STI with plastic grip is fine for me. If the price is around 175 $ for aluminum grip I might try it.

:surprise:

Caspian open gun or limited ;ETC; can be made to weigh the same or less than STI or SVI

in fact with the weight of the Caspian Hi-Cap frame I feel that I can make a more balanced

gun using the Caspian frame.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :devil::blink::roflol:

Whats the gun with the grey grip?

Looks like it has some big a** rear sight?

Neal in AZ

That's a 6" Open gun that belongs to one of the employees. The rear sight you think you are seeing is a Docter red dot.

Sorry Bobby, it's a Burris Fast Fire, unless Docter started putting On/Off switches on the side.

Yes Sir, you're prolly right. Didn't remember that actual Manufacture, and I fondled so many this weekend. I thought the one on that gun came on when you removed the cover or something, it was a long weekend. My feet still hurt. But yeah, a red dot sight of some sort.

No worries, I had to pull up the original of the picture to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I think there were only around 1000 of the little mini red dots at the show. I swear everyone had one on something.

I like my 2011's with polymer grips but I may try one of the new stainless grips just for the heck of it. I suspect that if you save anything between a Caspian open gun build versus a 2011, it will be quickly offset by the price difference and the lack availability of 170mm mags for the Caspian.

Caspian open gun or limited ;ETC; can be made to weigh the same or less than STI or SVI

in fact with the weight of the Caspian Hi-Cap frame I feel that I can make a more balanced

Jim/Pa

Exactly the point, for some. Balance. Only you won't be limiting yourself to 18+1 rounds with the STI grip.

It's not for everybody, but until you've shot one with an Al grip you are guessing.

Well, as someone who has shot the new grip, I can tell you it is a big difference. You may or may not like the difference but it is there. On my open gun it shoots so much softer that when changing back to the polymer grip it is like going from minor to major power. Not everyone will see the change as significant or even neccessary, but it is an option we didnt have and now we do. If you dont want it then the polymer s still available. I dont know if it would be as good on my limited gun, but I now have it to try. I will not be converting all my guns but I might convert 1 more.

As to the using of "Infinte" for the custom shop, they could have picked something better. <_<

Also they tried this custom shop thing back 4 or 5 years ago and it didnt last 1 year so lets see how long it last this time.

Jim/Pa

I know I'm drifting and I apologize but I don't see how this is possible. If you make everything exactly the same, slide cuts, parts, etc. Your still left with a metal grip vs a plastic grip. Now unless you cut the snot out of the grip itself and it still has enough meat to be supportive but then you loose the whole point of the metal grip right??? :huh:

Well, as someone who has shot the new grip, I can tell you it is a big difference. You may or may not like the difference but it is there. On my open gun it shoots so much softer that when changing back to the polymer grip it is like going from minor to major power. Not everyone will see the change as significant or even neccessary, but it is an option we didnt have and now we do. If you dont want it then the polymer s still available. I dont know if it would be as good on my limited gun, but I now have it to try. I will not be converting all my guns but I might convert 1 more.

As to the using of "Infinte" for the custom shop, they could have picked something better. <_<

Also they tried this custom shop thing back 4 or 5 years ago and it didnt last 1 year so lets see how long it last this time.

Yes a heavy gun shoots softer. But what do you loose in exchange? Speed? I believe that is a major variable in our sport. I have no intention of switching as I like a light gun even though there may be a little more flip/recoil. I sat at dinner with the guy who designed the metal grip and told him right there I didn't think it would catch on. Sure allot of shooters will have to try one but in the end I think most will go back to the plastic.

The custom shop didnt last because they got so busy they had to allocate all resources to building stock guns. STI has grown so much its hard to describe. I heard today they took orders for 2500 guns the first day of the shot show. 200 of those are the first STI AR15. We ordered quite a few ourself. They sold out of that production run the first day.

As for the name "Infinte". I dont care for it. The SV followers will hate it, wont change how they already feel. The STI people will chuckle at it and move on. Wont change how they feel.

Jim/Pa

I know I'm drifting and I apologize but I don't see how this is possible. If you make everything exactly the same, slide cuts, parts, etc. Your still left with a metal grip vs a plastic grip. Now unless you cut the snot out of the grip itself and it still has enough meat to be supportive but then you loose the whole point of the metal grip right??? :huh:

Dont have take much off the Caspian frame to let the weight fall forward some to make a good balance at

the middle of the mass, with an S__I type gun you dont have a choice but to have more weight in front

of the grip. Not that much differance in weight anyway.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :mellow::devil::)

What can I say ?? I get along fine with SVI and STI. Both companies know that a healthy, "prodding" competitive atmosphere actually fosters good products for everyone.

While there might be some jokes about the chosen line of products name, the truth is that one does homage to the other and does no harm. SVI's Infinity name alludes to the myriad of enhancements Available in their product line, kind of a factory/custom. SVI's emphasis is really towards customer's choice of features as offered in their guns rather than a straight production approach. STI on the other hand being more apt to offer a more stabilized production line, has had their Custom line finally expanded to be closer to a custom offering than ever before.

Neither of them as of recently had been offering parts for installation in their gun other than their own. Yes, I know SVI earlier offered Schuemann barrels, but that WAS their only option, and now everything IS on house built. This is good, but I'd rather see some other parts from other manufacturers being offered in their guns. That is for both of them. Now STI is opening the door to an "outside" supplier, incorporating that supplier's brand to be included in the build. That pleases me, and I only hope that it is a beginning towards allowing/using other choice parts too from outside suppliers. Heck, not that I mind it that much, after all that is a good part of my business: truly customizing by offering the choice parts on your dream guns. But that's ok. The more the merrier.

All I know is that Dave Skinner "promised" me in front of Russell Skinner and other "verifiable" witnesses that I should have those new aluminum grips in my hands within 90 days. I AM counting the days ... Those grips, very likely will be available to gunsmiths (and others) in a similar finish as the sample at the Shot Show for custom re-doing and finishing. In addition there will be some more traditional finishes. But the whole thing is that they are promising their availability: "sooner and for a $ (dollar) less than anyone else.

Now, I wonder if SPS is "eavesdropping" in all of this ... (??? :devil: )

Now, I wonder if SPS is "eavesdropping" in all of this ... (??? :devil: )

Aha we can expect a stippled tin foil grip with no preceived recoil at all as when they launched the Pelicano the add said "Aim once, hit twice" I wonder why we don't see any of them around today.. :devil:

Ok I'll be nice...