Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many magazines/holders do you have....

Freddie the Swede

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shooting Open I normally walk to the line with one 170 and three 140s, but that can vary a little. Sometimes I'm going to start with a big stick and reload to another big stick, but it's unusual. Sometimes I'll only have three 140s (like on short classifiers).

Open - 3 mag pouches, generally full, plus my start mag in a pocket. What mags I carry depends on the stage - I only carry a big stick if I need to use it. Very rarely will I have two big sticks on my belt at the same time....

L-10 - 5 pouches, plus start mag in a pocket

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's just me, but I don't wear my mags on the belt except when I'm actually shooting (or getting ready to shoot). My mags stay in the range bag while I'm taping / scoring / brassing / etc.

How many mags I bring to the line depends on the stage. I will typically bring at least one more mag than what I think I need to shoot the stage with. Since I primarily shoot Open, that means I usually only bring 2 or 3 mags. More if I'm shooting standards with multiple strings with multiple reloads.

I have 4 mag holders on my belt.

I shoot L10 (and limited at three gun matches with the same 1911)and start with six on my belt and one in the gun. It gives more options on field courses with six round arrays. Never had to use them all in an IPSC match, but have needed all of them in a hosefest fun stage.

Hurley

On my belt of my Open rig, I only have 2 pouches. really the second pouch is just my "barney" loader as I've not had to dig for my 2nd 140 before. I'd love to get away with only 1 pouch, with 1x 140, But it is nice to have an insurance/barney mag on your belt. With my 170 big stick to start off in my pocket.

I shot with Robin Taylor in a match once, and I recall he ran a plain jane leather gun belt, with a dual leather mag pouch. Shot a Glock 34 in Limited minor with 3 mags with Taylor Freelance base pads, and I remember thinking that didn't seem to be enough mags. I was pretty green at the time.

It was a match with quite a few high round count stages and I don't think I ever saw him run dry, and he placed quite well if I recall correctly. Got me thinking.

Edited by Aristotle

SS - 6 on belt 1 in gun. Barney in pocket. I have used 5 on a 32 round stage with a bunch of small arrays. Its always nice to have extras in SS incase of a death jam or meltdown.

Lim-4

Lim 10-5

Production-6

Weld 300 Match, I ran 9 mag pouches on my production rig and went to the line on the 60 pieces of steel stage with two more extra mags in a pocket and a barney round. I watched half a dozen lim shooters go empty with three full mags and that wasn't happening to me.

Ammo is like water. Gotta have it.

Production in the land of the 10 round mag limit. I have 6 mags on the belt and one in my back pocket. The club I call my own tends to run shooters through two stages back to back, so having a full deck saves time.