Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loading the .40 with lead bullet

philproulx

hi

i just started to shoot lead bullets in practice cause of the cost of FMJ and CMJ

i use hodgdon Longshot

5.8 gr on a 180 gr

at 1.145 OAL

wsp

STI edge

with a bar-sto barrel

i got good results since that cast lead come from wheel weight

i got bad results out of IMR 7625--

now i'm switching to medium-fast burning powders

gonna try UNIVERSAL and TITEGROUP

i what to check some other interesting load

with other powder

Okay, here are the 4 loads that I tested from my STI Edge with a 5" barrel. All 4 of these use a 180 gr. (actual weight is 185 gr.) Midstates lead truncated cone bullet.

4.8 gr. IMR PB loaded to 1.175" OAL

5.3 gr. IMR PB loaded to 1.175" OAL

4.2 gr. WST loaded to 1.175" OAL

4.5 gr. WST loaded to 1.175" OAL

With the 185 gr. bullet weight the IMR easily made major with a bit of smoke but not bad for outdoor shooting. It had a snappy recoil impulse but the sights still returned well.

The WST had a harder time making major. The 4.5 gr. load made it barely but with very little smoke. The recoil impulse wasn't as snappy as the IMR PB and the sights returned well.

These numbers are out of a slightly slow barrel. I chrono'd my E3 loads from this barrel and they ran about 30 fps slower than in my old STI barrel.

BTW, it takes 917 fps to make 165 pf with a 180 gr bullet and 892 to make 165 pf with a 185 gr bullet.

Conditions were mostly sunny and 45 degrees with a slight wind.

Chris

Edited by Resjudicata

I've been using 4.2gr of VV N310 under a 180gr moly coated bullet loaded at 1.2" OAL for several years. This is a VERY soft shooting load that is very consistent in my 5" STI Edge. NOTE: Do NOT use this load with 1.135" OAL!!!...the pressure will be much higher!

Unfortunately, I'm out of N310 and need to find something less expensive! Tite-Group is much cheaper, but I'm not excited about the prospect of running a smokestack...

I've also got Unique, SR7625, Bullseye, Ramshot Silhouette, W231, & PowerPistol all setting on the shelf.

If you have a favorite load with one of these powders, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
I've been using 4.2gr of VV N310 under a 180gr moly coated bullet loaded at 1.2" OAL for several years. This is a VERY soft shooting load that is very consistent in my 5" STI Edge. NOTE: Do NOT use this load with 1.135" OAL!!!...the pressure will be much higher!

Unfortunately, I'm out of N310 and need to find something less expensive! Tite-Group is much cheaper, but I'm not excited about the prospect of running a smokestack...

I've also got Unique, SR7625, Bullseye, Ramshot Silhouette, W231, & PowerPistol all setting on the shelf.

If you have a favorite load with one of these powders, let me know.

I have been playing around with Silhouette which is supposed to duplicate the old WAP. I don't know about that, but it has been very good so far. With a 180grn S&S LFN in a 5" XD Tactial I tested it over the chrono. 20rnds, 90 degree day, 5.8grns Silhouette, OAL 1.135 (This was an XD after all... it liked this length), Average speed was 989 for a power factor of 178. SD was 10.7. Shot into 2" at 15 yards over the chrono. In that gun I could back off about .1grn I guess. Same gun, same day with a Berry 180HP... Average speed was 950.5 for a PF of 171.1. Again nice accuracy. The gun felt good with this load, tracked nicely, and was not dirty with either bullet. I got a little smoke with the S&S 180, but I think it's the lube he uses. Not diesel like, but some smoke.

I tried Silhouette a few weeks before that in an XDm40 and the lead S&S 180 when it was only 75 degrees outside and with 5.7grns (.1grn lighter) got 169PF so I don't think Silhouette is "temperature sensitive" in that those readings from a gun with 1/2 shorter barrel and .1 less powder seem about right, although my notes show that my OAL that day was 1.130 instead of 1.135.

I am really liking the Silhouette so far. The gun runs cool and feels great... to me at least, though I am no Master or anything.

As to Unique... In the XDm a few weeks earlier with a 73 degree day, 20rnds again (I always shoot 20 over the chrono) OAL 1.130, 5.4grn Unique, S&S 180, Average speed 980.3, PF 176.5, SD 11.0. Notes say it was smokey... My memory says quite a bit more than the Silhouette load above. However, ran cool, clean, and was accurate in that it stayed well within a 3" circle I use as a target over the chrono at 15 yards. The chorograph is always at 10 feet though in case you are wondering. Again, probably could back off .1grn and still be with a cushion for PF, but I was just testing the lead bullet with some different powders on these occasions and had to start somewhere.

These loads are a result of having just acquired some S&S lead bullets and trying them out for the first time in some of my guns with the powders I had. I also tried some Longshot, 7.0grn which gave a quite brisk 1062fps in the XDm for PF of 191.2. It did not lead the barrel and was, again, nicely accurate out of that gun. Although the PF was about 20 points higher than would be necessary for USPSA, Longshot is a nice powder in that it did not feel that much heavier and there were no pressure signs whatever at that loading... and indeed the book says you can go up to 8.0grns if you so desire with a 180grn bullet but not below 6.5.

Edited by Justsomeguy