Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How light is your trigger?

Freddie the Swede

I made my own trigger job many years ago with a brownells bought trigger jig. I think I made it really good as it has worked flawlessly for many thousand rounds ( ~30.000).

It's now in my second OPEN gun.

I have the weight set at around 2 Lbs or just below 1.000 metric grams.

I feel that this weight is about right for me as I live in Sweden where we have a rather cold climate.

In the winter we have a lot a snow and freezing temperatures from mid october until late march.

I feel that if I go lighter I will have trouble in the cold.

What do you feel is right for you and your climate?

Cheers

Fredrik Lundbeck

IPSC Sweden

Edited by Freddie the Swede

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 Major Open 2011 is 4.0 pounds, Limited 2011 is 3.5 pounds, I keep all my 1911/2011 type guns between 3 and 5 pounds. I shoot better if I have a trigger I can aggressively prep, then break the last pound and a half when I want to break the shot.

9 Major Open 2011 is 4.0 pounds, Limited 2011 is 3.5 pounds, I keep all my 1911/2011 type guns between 3 and 5 pounds. I shoot better if I have a trigger I can aggressively prep, then break the last pound and a half when I want to break the shot.

Good to know I'm not the only one. I keep mine a little heavy for the same reason. Once you prep the trigger it's going to be the same as being a light trigger except I think I have a better idea where the break is with my heavier trigger.

Chris

After having some issues with doubling with a sub 1.5# trigger about 3 years ago, I set mine to break around 3#. I don't feel any disavantage in this pull weight and have had no issues with doubling.....well, just once, when I let it get really, really dirty. :surprise:

As long as the trigger is smooth, I like the 3# trigger.

fwiw

dj

I keep all my 1911/2011 type guns between 3 and 5 pounds. I shoot better if I have a trigger I can aggressively prep, then break the last pound and a half when I want to break the shot.

This is good advice. Lighter doesn't aways mean better. I made the trip to Dairy Queen this past weekend.

Too light a trigger for my shooting style finally caught up with me...