Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide racker or not?

Freddie the Swede

Hi,

As a long time OPEN shooter I have never used a slide racker and would like to hear the Pros and Cons of it.

I'm reluctant to add another thing that might hinder the performance of the gun and mybe affect the reliablility.

Whats your experience of it?

Should I go with it or not?

Thanks

Fredrik Lundbeck

IPSC Sweden

Fredrik,

First off - welcome to the forum (I see you've been around about a month, but I haven't "met" you yet).

I'm a new Open Shooter, but I use a slide racker. I like the fact that I can rack the slide / clear jams more quickly than I could without the slideracker - my C-More mount makes it difficult to grasp the slide because only a small portion of the slide is "grasp-able". I also like that the slide racker serves as a "stand" for starts where I have to pick the gun up - no more dropped mags by inadvertently hitting the mag release button. The only downside is that when I first started using it, it was sort of "in the way" when I drew the pistol - but that problem worked itself out with a bit of dry-fire. Again, I'm new to Open so there are a lot of guys with more experience than me.

Hope this helps.

Doug

I have a Heitt Technology scope mount on my Open Para 9x23. I have no slide racker. I have front serrations on the slide and grasp the slide from underneath.

My Para 9x21 open gun is set up just like Sharon's. After using it for several years, I purchased an STI with a sidewinder slide racker. The switch from grabbing the front of the slide serrations to grabbing the sidewinder was almost automatic.

After a year with the sidewinder, I doubt I would go back to a gun without one. Much faster.

Bill

After a year with the sidewinder, I doubt I would go back to a gun without one. Much faster.

Bill

+1

I have a sidewinder on both of my Open guns and it's almost the greatest thing since sliced bread! It's much faster for empty gun starts and it makes picking the gun up of a table pretty much foolproof.

Pros

I'm a new Open Shooter, but I use a slide racker. I like the fact that I can rack the slide / clear jams more quickly than I could without the slideracker - my C-More mount makes it difficult to grasp the slide because only a small portion of the slide is "grasp-able". I also like that the slide racker serves as a "stand" for starts where I have to pick the gun up - no more dropped mags by inadvertently hitting the mag release button.

+1

Cons.

Racker add weight for my slide. That I don't like.

You can't take so much material off back off your slide if you use racker (more weight again).

You have to use racker in wrong side off the slide if you use Barry mount style mount in your gun.

Well I like racker anyway.

I might be too novice to make slide racker suggestions, but this plastic peg in the little hole on the side of the c-more works great for gun on table starts. No extra weight on the slide.

post-1666-1231330941_thumb.jpg

Yes for sure... it's bailed me out a time or two. I had a pretty nasty jam during a cof... I was shooting around a barricade and had a buldged case er something. I just turned the gun a bit and smacked th bastard on the 2/4 popping the little beasties out of there and continued. Without the racker it would have been a zero stage. Also, depending on the mount, and the slide cuts, it can be a bear to get in there. I know with Matt's cuts in the front of the slide you will make swiss cheese out of your fingers going there to rack. It looks cool, but might be a good idea to make a small corner break there for just that purpose.

JT

I like the slide racker on my open gun but there are two drawbacks for me, neither of which effect the shooting of the gun.

First, the slide racker must come off to field strip the gun, unless you are a lefty and have it mounted on the right of the slide.

Second, I have to retighten the set screw holding the racker on a near weekly basis. I have cleaned the screw and hole, applied blue loctite and have a small detent drilled in the slide for the set screw to bottom out on, but for some reason it won't stay put.

But I'll put up with the small problems for the percieved benefits: table starts and clearing the occasional misfeed.

fwiw

dj

I like the slide racker on my open gun but there are two drawbacks for me, neither of which effect the shooting of the gun.

First, the slide racker must come off to field strip the gun, unless you are a lefty and have it mounted on the right of the slide.

Second, I have to retighten the set screw holding the racker on a near weekly basis. I have cleaned the screw and hole, applied blue loctite and have a small detent drilled in the slide for the set screw to bottom out on, but for some reason it won't stay put.

But I'll put up with the small problems for the percieved benefits: table starts and clearing the occasional misfeed.

fwiw

dj

Mine stays tight, but I use red. :o You are right about the hassle of removing it to pull the slide.

I use the Briley racker that has two arms on the back that fits in a Bomar sight cut. You grab it with thumb and index finger and slingshot it. It doesn't give much lift off a table start, but doesn't stick way out to the side either, and is ambidextrous for clearing a jam either handed. The only down side I have found is if I switch to my Ltd. gun, I will shred my thumb and index finger on my Bomar blade before I realize I got the wrong gun in my hand!

I have a Heitt Technology scope mount on my Open Para 9x23. I have no slide racker. I have front serrations on the slide and grasp the slide from underneath.

I have the same on my SV and also had it on my old Para. I think the benefit to it is that you can get your grip very quick when you let it go.

There are pros and cons for everything.

the reality is if you have a flawless gun, maybe once every 2 years you need a racker. i see lots of folks with the ball-detent setup only using the racker when the gun starts on a table, or empty, requiring chambering under the clock. otherwise, it isn't on the gun.

What kind of optic and mount are you using? I suspect that will have a bearing on this decision. I use Aimpoints on all of our open guns and they do not interfere with grasping the slide traditionally so I see no need for it and don't use them. Are you using a Cmore, a slide ride, or a tube optic?

Edited by larry cazes

the reality is if you have a flawless gun, maybe once every 2 years you need a racker. i see lots of folks with the ball-detent setup only using the racker when the gun starts on a table, or empty, requiring chambering under the clock. otherwise, it isn't on the gun.

do the rules allow that?

do the rules allow that?

There isn't a rule (that I know of) that doesn't prohibit this.

I might be too novice to make slide racker suggestions, but this plastic peg in the little hole on the side of the c-more works great for gun on table starts. No extra weight on the slide.

So the peg? who sells it?

Thanks Kevin

5.1.8 maybe

IF a slideracker is considered to be a significant modification, the basis for DQ (dishonesty, cheating, etc.) don't seem to fit the situation at all since a slideracker is not illegal in open/limited.