Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Equipment Purchase

Hey everybody Happy Holidays!

OK, lets cut to the chase. I am going to purchase a dillon 550b package from Brian's store. What I am looking for are some unbiased and truthful opinions on the various assorted dillon items available. I have been reading this forum nearly every day for the last month and I realize this is a "dillon or nothing" site. I also realize that some here may be uncomfortable telling it like it is so I am including my email(sandfam7300@fuse.net).

I will be loading 9mm exclusively for at least the forseeable future. I have put my hands on the SDB and it is just too cramped so it is the 550b for me. I will be shooting entry level production USPSA at the local club and practicing mostly during the warm months only. Hence I have all winter to reload so I don't need the 650 or 1050.

So:

1. I know I want digital calipers due to being almost 50 and wanting to take the easy way out. Are Brian's any good? Or are there better ones out there.

2. Scale. I would like digital but won't be loading several different loads so I feel it may not be needed. Thoughts? Are either version of the dillon scales good scales. Recommendations?

3. Pretty sure dillon dies are the way to go unless somebody convinces me otherwise.

4.CV-750? are there better ones out there?

5. "as it should be" upgrade. Is this the way to go?

I have taken up enough space and time. Thanks in advance.

I load on a 550 and I shoot every weekend and don't feel that is slows me down at all so I think you have made a good choice...espcially as a first choice.

1. I just don't trust digital measuring devices, call me old fashioned but I want actual graded numbers. With that being said if Brian sells it it can't be to bad.

2. The digital scales I've played with, at friends houses, can't make up their mind if they want to show you 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 or none of the above for the same charge every time. I have a 1970s balance beam scale. Sure it might not be the REAL 4.2 but its the same weight for what ever it is every time if you line up the beam.

3. Dillon dies are top notch. I choose the EGW U die for my .40 loads due to glock bulge and use a Lee FCD to take out the bell but other than that Dillon dies will work grea.

4. Bigger is usually always better but if you don't want the big one you can't go wrong with the 750

5. There is a reason its called as it should be. Do you need it...no, I don't have the strong mount so therefore I don't have the 2 bins. I do have the roller handle and think its almost a must. Now if you get the strong mount I think your silly not to have the two bins that mount to it so you might as well get the "as it should be" if you want the strong mount.

Edited by steel1212

1. Digital calipers are nice. Dont have to be expensive. I bought mine at Harbor Freight.

2. Digital scale is the only way to go. Dont know about the Dillon scales since mine is an RCBS. It's been working fine for over 4 years. Buy any name brand scale and you'll be fine.

3. Dillon dies are the best. But Lee's are ok too. I have both and dont see a huge difference.

4. The only thing that separates tumblers from one another is the motor. If Dillon will back their motor then by all means get the Dillon. I bought a Midway tumbler (Frankfor Arsenal) and the motor crapped out in less than a year. Then I bought a Lyman and the bowl started to accumulate "junk" from the media/dirt/polish. I simply took the motor out of the Lyman and put it in the Midway bowl, and have had no problems ....... so far.

"as it should be" upgrade. Is this the way to go?
I would definately get this package, since it has most of the accesories you will want.

Can't beat Brian's (and Dillons) affordability and customer service. :cheers:

I have a pretty extensive collection of reloading stuff....

MUCH stuff has come and gone over the years.

I have and use the 550, the Dillon digital powder scale and the Dillon digital calipers. I have used a number of calipers and the Dillon is as good as any and a good value, IMO. I have and use the big Dillon vibrating brass cleaner and the big media separator. I would go with the big ones as (perhaps) you will end up with growing needs as you continue to shoot.

There are a lot of good dies out there. I use Dillon and am happy with the results. I do use the Redding Seater on several of my presses and it truly is the best... Again IMO...

DON'T buy cheap calipers. (or any other cheapo shit )

Buy Once - Cry Once. :cheers:

I'm going to have agree with just about everything Chris said !!

I know it's hard to believe that Dillons really are "that good" compared to everybody else, but they are !!

I dont think anybody loads more rounds per month then practical pistol shooters, and we all kind of came to a consensus

on reloading equiptment, what works for us... Thats why you hear the same story all the time on here...go Dillon !! :cheers:

I have been up to observe one monday night shoot. I will be back for sure. Thanks. One thing, could you shoot me a pm or email and give me the rundown on brass pickup rules for the club? I really want to keep as much as I can.

I have a smaller tumbler so I can only clean about 300-400 rds per session. I would like to have the larger bowl, but it is not absolutely necessary. I just switch loads more often.

The smaller Dillon media separator however IS necessary. I can't imagine trying to sift media from my brass with some sort of sifting tray or those rotary things that go on top of 5 gallon buckets. Once you get a Dillon separator you will never look back.

The size is just right for the smaller - medium size tumblers. If you get the large Dillon tumbler ...... you will want the largest size media separator too.

The only Dillon die that you need on the 550 is the powder through belling die, which goes in at station #2.

My three toolheads, one each for 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP are all set up the same.

Station #1 : EGW/Lee Undersize and decapping die

Station #3 : Redding Micrometer adjustable bullet seating die

Station #4 : Lee Factory Crimp Die

I do have the strong mount with all the bins, and the plastic roller handle. I also stand when I reload. Some people would rather sit down. If that's you, then you probably don't want the strong mount.

I have heard that the jewel cases that DVD's or CD's come in will make a good improvised primer flip tray, for when you're filling the primer tube(s).

The other chatchkey's I'd recommend to get would be a case gauge and some check weights.

Check weights are fine, but instead of spending the money on that, find a 115 gr bullet that weighs EXACTLY 115 grains, then mark it and keep it next to your scale. Use that as your check weight. You can do the same thing with a dime or penny if you have to. We generally weigh charges around 3-10 grains so it makes sense to have some smaller check weights. My digital scale came with a 20 gram and a 50 gram check weight. That translates to 308 & 770 grains!

:surprise:

So needless to say I use a 115 grain bullet as my check.

And as to a case gauge I prefer to pull the actual barrel I plan on shooting those bullets in and use that to case gauge. I have seen case gauges that were a little looser than match-fit barrels. It's also been said that two barrels fit for the same gun can be way off as well. Don't be lazy. Pull the barrel out of the gun and check it that way. It doesn't cost a thing either. ;)

I have an XL-650 that I bought from Brian with a great deal of very much appreciated advice from him. Here are my thoughts:

1. I really like the digital calipers. I have two of the inexpensive ones from Midway (looks like the same as from Harbor Freight) since I use them for woodworking as well. They show exactly the same measurements as each other and my dial type caliper. I have no qualms about the accuracy of these units.

2. I bought an inexpensive scale which works excellently. It is a My Weigh Durascale 50 digital scale ($59). Some type of scale is absolutely mandatory and this is a good, relatively inexpensive digital one. You can find it here: My Weigh Scale

3. The Dillon dies are excellent.

4. I have the very inexpensive one from Midway that works extremely well. It is a fraction of the Dillon cost.

5. Definitly get the As It Should Be package along with the ball end hex wrenches.

Edited by XD Niner

Hey everybody Happy Holidays!

OK, lets cut to the chase. I am going to purchase a dillon 550b package from Brian's store. What I am looking for are some unbiased and truthful opinions on the various assorted dillon items available. I have been reading this forum nearly every day for the last month and I realize this is a "dillon or nothing" site. I also realize that some here may be uncomfortable telling it like it is so I am including my email(sandfam7300@fuse.net).

I will be loading 9mm exclusively for at least the forseeable future. I have put my hands on the SDB and it is just too cramped so it is the 550b for me. I will be shooting entry level production USPSA at the local club and practicing mostly during the warm months only. Hence I have all winter to reload so I don't need the 650 or 1050.

So:

1. I know I want digital calipers due to being almost 50 and wanting to take the easy way out. Are Brian's any good? Or are there better ones out there.

2. Scale. I would like digital but won't be loading several different loads so I feel it may not be needed. Thoughts? Are either version of the dillon scales good scales. Recommendations?

3. Pretty sure dillon dies are the way to go unless somebody convinces me otherwise.

4.CV-750? are there better ones out there?

5. "as it should be" upgrade. Is this the way to go?

I have taken up enough space and time. Thanks in advance.

1. I sell the same digital calipers Dillon does. Or in other words, we buy them from the same place. And for $39, I couldn't imagine not having them compared to dial calipers.

2. Same deal with the digital scale. But unfortunately at $140 Dillon's is a little pricey. However, I've sold a zillion of them and can't remember the last time I had a return. And in a poll somewhere in the forum, the Dillon Digital Scale was the winner, but a solid margin.

3. Yes.

4. The new sealed motor in the new 750 tumbler is killer. Everyone else's tumblers are fairly flimsy compared to Dillon's.

5. With press options, it's all or nothing with the As it Should Be.

Give me a ring if you have more questions... but I will be hammered on the phone till after the first of the year. But leave a message and I'll get back to you.

be

toll-free: 877 219-5598

New loader also using the 550B. All the info you have so far should set you on your way. Spend the money for the Strong Mount and the Aluminum Roller Handle, It will make for a more enjoyable experience. You will not regret and both are worth every cent!!!!

A balance beam scale may be repeatable and accurate, but it is way too slow.

I'm trying to understand your comment here. I use a beam scale and I usually only check every 10th round. Should I be weighing it every single round?

Weighing every 10th round (powder charge) is ok, but it takes a balance beam longer to settle down than the digital. And the Dillon powder measure is very consistent, I think you'll find. Probably not a concern in your case, but if you really get into consistency and start separating your bullets by weight, it's a PITA waiting for a balance beam to do its thing.

Alan~^~

Actual machine, no opinion from me, I have a 650 and a couple 1050

Dies, Dillon id OK, EGW U die definite, Lee Factory Crimp as well, seating is OK from Dillon, On my .40 I use a Micrometer Adjustable as it allows me one set up for Limited and Production, just twist the die and change the powder measure. On the subject of scales, a beam scale is great for single dumps, a digital is better for multi dump averaging. It is suggested that after you get your charge weight down, you throw 10 and see how the average is running, 5.0 x 10 shouldn’t be off by more than a tenth or two, (49.8 to 50.2) would be with in a couple hundredths and not measurable as a single throw.

Now tumblers are a different animal altogether. I would go with a Thumbler Tumbler. This is an industrial strength tumbler with the proper bowl shape, The Dillon tumbler has straight sides and doesn’t seem to roll the brass around as well. The curved in sides actually allow the unit to be run with the lid off. It is cleaner, Dillon’s will send the media up over the top. I have the large tunble and easily load 2000 cases into it. The Thumbler also has a removable bowl to make dumping easier.

A roller handle is an excellent upgrade as is the strong mount, although I have actually made my own. Be sure that you set up the height of your machine correctly, you want the down stroke to end where your normal extension ends. You shouldn’t have to bend or twist at the bottom of the stroke. I have added 5 inch lifts under my 1050s and about 6 or 7 under my 650, I’d go higher on this, but I have already had overhead clearance situations, need to trim the case feeder support and tube.

While on this subject, GET A CASE FEEDER. I have two sets of calipers and a set ok micrometers. If you have a 1-2 Micrometer you can use that and it is at least as accurate and I fide easier to use for OAL.

I have a large Dillon media separator, but you can get away without this, a pice of hardware cloth ¼” size and a wood box with a second box under it, you dump and shake back and forth. Works and can be a money saver.

Case gauges are almost a must, with the EGW U die, you will likely never have a problem. Pulling your barrel is OK, but the chamber and ramp MAY not give you a true picture, A gauge checks the full length and diameter of your round, your barrel won’t.

OH, one more thing, Your Bench, it MUST, repeat MUST be solid, wobble is very bad for consistancy.

Jim