Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Equipment Purchase

I bought a case tumbler from Midway USA. It's their Fulton Armory brand, came with a media separator, and has worked fine for me for several years. It is smaller than the Dillon. I don't shoot as much as some guys here, so it's not a big deal to me.

Digital calipers are now so cheap there is no reason to mess with dial calipers, and Vernier calipers are right out. Midway USA might have them a few bucks cheaper than $39, but not much.

Don't mess with the Dillon primer tray. There are plastic ones that are much cheaper. Midway again.

I like a digital scale. I like to weigh 10 charges in a row, to get average powder charge to .01 grain, and some idea of the variability. I think it would be a serious pain to do that on a balance. The digital scale is a little pricey, but I think it's worth it for the time saved. The Dillon scale comes with a calibration weight.

I use a Lee (U) die for .40, because of the Glock Bulge. Not sure it's absolutely necessary, and the undersizing does result in more effort required to pull the case off the powder funnel in station 2. I don't worry about a case gauge. You can use the barrel removed from your gun, or, like I do, just go to the range and shoot the rounds.

I don't have a strong mount, and I don't see the need for it. I reload sitting down, though. I do like the roller handle.

DD

Update Follows

Went ahead and ordered the Dillon scales(both digital and beam) directly from Dillon. Sorry Brian, I just could not wait till mid January. Nearly every forum I looked into had nothing but good things to say about either one.

I ordered some MG 124 CMJ . I will probably get powder and primers local since I can get them for basically the same price once shipping and hazmat are figured in.

Should have the 550B kit next week. Will work on a bench this weekend.

Thanks for all the input.

Maybe I will want a 650 in 12 months. If so I'll count on somebody here to buy my old worn out 550.

Later

The only thing I can add to the discussion is an option on a tumbler. I have a Thumler Ultra-Vibe 18 (bowl, not roller) tumbler which is super-heavy duty and handles around 1K 9mm cases at a time. It is the only brand I would consider other than the Dillon.

I also like the media separator I have from Cabella's (a private label from another maker) only because it has an enclosed cover which keeps the mess and dust down.

I use Dillon dies in my 550B with the exception of the Lee FCD in the final station.

Curtis