Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shoot a compact in IDPA?

hartzpad

Does anyone really want to shoot their concealed carry weapon that is a compact but doesn't because Glock 34 size weapons are in the same class? An alternative would be to have a division within each class for shorter than 4" barrels and one for 4" and larger barrels. If I forget about competition completely, then size doesn't matter of course and you shoot what you want to shoot. I do shoot the same pistol type and trigger in IDPA that I conceal everyday for carry, so it is very good practice for CC, even if size is different between them.

I don't expect any change in the current IDPA rules and divisions (I think it works great as is), just wondering if anyone wanted to shoot their concealed carry weapons in IDPA but doesn't because larger weapons are in the same class as the small ones. Of course, the upside is that 5 divisions keeps it very simple and keeps the gamers out.

Edited by hartzpad

Does anyone really want to shoot their concealed carry weapon that is a compact but doesn't because Glock 34 size weapons are in the same class?

I carry either a full-size M&P40 or a Keltec 32. I shoot the M&P in our IDPA-like matches, but for a different reason...

The last match where I shot BUG was mostly 8 round stages. My 10 year old was shooting SSP and I was having to do reloads on every stage. He beat me and I still hear about it all too frequently. Now I also shoot SSP so if/when he does beat me again (and he has come very close), it will be straight up.

One of my favorite carry guns in the cooler weather is a Colt Officers 45 ACP. It's basically a full custom 1911 with a 3.5 inch barrel.

I shoot other gunsat least 90% of the time in IDPA but I do use it in a half dozen or so club matches each year an a few club practice sessions just to keep comfortable with it.

The shorter sight radius is only a problem at longer ranges... but it's a 7 round mag gun so it's at a little disadvantage in CDP... but for a few local club matches it really makes no difference to me.

USPSA is a lot bigger and more competitive around here and I shoot with as good a gear as I can get. With my local IDPA match I shoot my Glock 23, IWB holster, concealed by a t-shirt. I still try to shoot as well as I can but doing so while being minimally gamey.

If there were a class that better fit the gear I was using I would definitely enter it, but as things are the rules don’t stop me from shooting the gun I want. That said, I’m not motivated to take the gear I have to any bigger competitions.

I shoot a compact because that is what I have, and I can't afford/justify buying another gun to play the game.

If you look at it objectively, what "advantage" do you get with a 5"+ pistol over a 4 incher. Longer sight radius? Faster splits? With IDPA rules, most targets are 10 yards or less, there's not much steel, and round count is low. I've seen compact guns do very well.

Anecodotally, at our club's last match, we had stages where the draw represented nearly %10 or more of your total match time. My results sucked because of lousy draws. A full size gun wouldn't have helped me.

I will say though, our local hotshot is winning every monthly match using a G34! I heard a rumor that he practices though.

Does anyone really want to shoot their concealed carry weapon that is a compact but doesn't because Glock 34 size weapons are in the same class?

I carry either a full-size M&P40 or a Keltec 32. I shoot the M&P in our IDPA-like matches, but for a different reason...

The last match where I shot BUG was mostly 8 round stages. My 10 year old was shooting SSP and I was having to do reloads on every stage. He beat me and I still hear about it all too frequently. Now I also shoot SSP so if/when he does beat me again (and he has come very close), it will be straight up.

IT'S NOT "IF" BUT IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME "WHEN" :goof:

BTW I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I believe BUG as prescirbed by IDPA does not include reloads. Just 5 round stages.

I shoot whichever gun I happen to be carrying at the time. I participate (not compete) in IDPA shooting events so I'll be better prepared in the event that I ever have to defend myself.

How many guys have you seen carry a G34 or a Hi-Cap STI on a daily basis?? I'm sure that there are some out there whom do. And if it works for them, then that's great. But most guys I know don't compete with what they carry. Hope they never have to find out at the most inopportune time that they shoulda been practicing with their carry gun. Or wished they'd been carrying their competition gun.

Of course, the upside is that 5 divisions keeps it very simple and keeps the gamers out.

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: That has got the be the funniest thing i have heard in a long time.

I dont care what GAME you pick there will always be "THE GAMERS"

With that said, We have one guy that regularly shoots his carry gear for the practice and few others that do it on a regular basis.

You will never keep the "gamers" out of playing a game....... If IDPA wants it to be "real life" and use "real" carry gear then make the rules as such. Until then, people will still shoot whatever gun they are comfortable with and the "gamers" with shoot the non-carry type guns.

I admit, I am one of the so called "gamers" and I shoot a non carry type gun. However, I shoot IDPA as a game and not as training or anything else because that is what it is, a game.

With that said, I have shot my carry gun on occasion and have really enjoyed it. Interesting to note, that my times are not that much different shooting my G19 vs my G34.

Edited by nwb01

I shoot a sig 229 (2.75" barrel) in production uspsa, and in SSP idpa. I have heard some "sub compact" jokes about my choice of firearms, but it's a workhorse.

so yes.

...uh.. according the the Sig website your 229 has a 3.9 inch barrel. It's physically bigger than a G23/G19. I don't how you get sub compact jokes, it's barely a compact. In fact, it's nearly as big as the M9, in military form it's known as the M11. Or do you have a SIG 230?

I know some folks that have for a while. But most of them change it up when they want to become competitive. I keep telling myself that I'll shoot a match with my G27 or my 3" Model 65.... then I think about where I would end up in the overall placements and I switch back to my "gamer" gun. :blush:

It would be fun and I really ought to one of these days.

I shot the whole '05 season, including two sanctioned matches, with a Detonics Combat Master, loaded 7+1. I learned a lot about the gun and gear, which I carry every day, and also learned the limitations of shooting that gun when compared to a 5" gun loaded 8+1. I still shoot the short gun a couple of times a year, and for BUG stages, but I don't like intentionally handicapping myself with equipment choices. That said, I don't make much of differences in equipment that some consider critical; only my USPSA "race" gun has a beavertail and magwell funnel, I often use a IWB holster, etc.

I'd love to see a divison for compact sized (G19ish weapons in the XD, the M&P, etc) with stock triggers and recoil springs required. Or something along those lines...

A 'STG' division (stock carry gun) would be sweet.

I've been shooting my G19 (only mod is a 3.5 connector) in our weekly indoor matches. TRUST ME. The gun is slower than my 34 with a light spring, trigger job, and bunnyfart loads. There's no comparison.

I shoot a sig 229 (2.75" barrel) in production uspsa, and in SSP idpa. I have heard some "sub compact" jokes about my choice of firearms, but it's a workhorse.

so yes.

...uh.. according the the Sig website your 229 has a 3.9 inch barrel. It's physically bigger than a G23/G19. I don't how you get sub compact jokes, it's barely a compact. In fact, it's nearly as big as the M9, in military form it's known as the M11. Or do you have a SIG 230?

Even the breechface is less than 3.9 inches, so maybe sig got it wrong?????????

1001836ns3.jpg

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/1001836ns3.jpg/