Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finger cut off when loading primer tubes!

shooterbenedetto

Just a note of encouragement to your friend: Merle Eddington won the National Championship and the World Championship shooting without the last joint of his trigger finger. His only problem was RO's continually yelling "Finger, finger" because of the missing tip giving the appearance of his finger being in the guard.

A-G

Thank you I'll tell him next time I see him..

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know what brand the primers were? I only ask because of the reputation some have for being more 'touchy' than others.

He said winchester :o a bit eye opening considering winchesters are one of the harder primers to set off. He did say when the primer got stuck in the pickup portion of the tube/tip, he tapped it twice. The third time is when it went off.

He seems to be doing fine. He did mention shooting his open gun hurt a bit too much from the recoil.

Saw this post last week, then got a stack of primers stuck in the tube just the other day. Started to get ready to impatiently "give the tube a little tap on the bench" and remembered... thanks for the post, may have saved me some grief.

from any Dillon Instruction Manual:

PRIMERS: Never force primers. If they get stuck in the

operation of the machine, disassemble it and gently remove

the obstruction.

Never attempt to clear primers that are stuck in either the

primer pickup tube or the primer magazine tube. Never,

under any circumstances, insert any type of rod to attempt to

force stuck primers out of these tubes. Trying to force primers

out of the tube will cause the primers to explode causing

serious injury or even death.

If primers get stuck in a primer magazine or pickup tube

flood the tube with a penetrating oil (WD-40), throw the tube

in the garbage and call us for a free replacement.

Never attempt to deprime live primers – eventually one

will go off. When it does it will detonate the others in the

spent primer cup. Depriming live primers is the single most

dangerous thing you can do in reloading and can cause grave

injury or death.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just pulled out the Dillon RF100, which had been a back up to the vibraprime. I guess one or two upside down primers every now and then is better than losing/damaging digits.

I also ran a q-tip down all of my primer tubes and primer assemblies on the loaders. They came out real dirty.

I think the RF100 primer tube is stainless steel instead of aluminum. I do notice the primers zip out of the RF100 tube, and exit more slowly with a couple of shakes required for my regular tubes. The RF100 is expensive but very nice.

Actually ... after thinking about this a bit more and how I use the tubes --- I probably lean in way too close to make sure I am picking it up right --- I decided that the $300 for the FT100 was not such a bad deal after all ... so went over to Brian's store site and placed an order. Might be an over-reaction but ... hey, I have gotten used to where my fingers are after these 65 years together ....

Edited by mike early

Actually ... after thinking about this a bit more and how I use the tubes --- I probably lean in way too close to make sure I am picking it up right --- I decided that the $300 for the FT100 was not such a bad deal after all ... so went over to Brian's store site and placed an order. Might be an over-reaction but ... hey, I have gotten used to where my fingers are after these 65 years together ....

Yup. Truth is if even a small amount of care and caution is used when handling primers, this is just a non issue. Enjoy the auto filler, though.

When loading the primer tubes- how do you usually get the last on in the tube that is stuck in the plastic nipple that the pimers go into?

I just had a change of heart after rereading this. Especially since the tube now has 100 primers in it!!! I'm alos thinking of using gloves when loading the primer tubes... as an extra precaution.

Wow. I have always let my son do this for me. I always made him wear safety glasses, and have preached to never push hard. I just had to tell him, he will not be doing it again until he gets much older. Thanks for the word of caution

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A year and a few months ago I shared my experience on ar15.com of losing 1/2 my thumb to the cylinder gap of a 460XVR ... many said how they appreciated my taking the time to share the graphic nature of what can happen. Most like myself know to keep stuff away from the cylinder gap, but sometimes you need a smack in the face reminder.

I've been guilty of trying to force primers in certain ways, but certainly not anymore. I appreciate the time taken to post this, and wish your friend the best. As in my case, I can't get my thumb back, but hopefully save others from the same pain.