Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back-up limited gun

RangerTrace

I keep one, but I'm a believer that two is one and one is none. I carry extra ammo, mags, and usually an extra belt, holster, and mag carriers. I do cary spare parts for my limited guns, but I really don't want to hav to stop and work on a gun during a match, break my rythm. I'd rather just put down the non functional one and pick up the back up and go.

Worked out well once. Buddy and I went to an out of town match, his truck was broken in to and all his gear was stolen so I was able to outfit him and he got to shoot the match.

With my glocks, it's really more of a loner gun for potential new shooters. I usually have a back-up and the semblance of a back-up rig and ammo for a potential new shooter. I also use it for people like Driver8M3 who has been known to occasionally forget his gear (haven't we all ;) ).

Never really needed one, but seen more than one who has had gun issues during a larger match and went to a backup to stop the pain. If you can swing it, it's not a bad idea. Another option is to have a bag of the usual suspect backup parts handy.

In my experience, if I have a backup I won't need it. The only time I have needed a backup is when I did not have one. My backup gear has been used by others much more by others and it is nice to have equipment to loan new shooters or for people who have forgotten or broken stuff.

Most importantly, IMHO, you can't have too many guns. If calling it a backup helps justify buying more guns, go for it. You should have also a backup for your backup, just to coner all the possibilities. :)

Trace,

Though I'm a lousy gun racer, I try to prep like I'm going to win. When I competitively rock crawled, I brought consumables... driveshafts, axle shafts, few steering parts. But if I popped the motor or trans, I was done. Guns are substantially less expensive than a $50k car...

IMO spare parts for nearly everything consumable... I have a spare extractor, spare ejector, mag release, fiber optic fiber, fitted ambis... But for a bigger match, I'm bringing the Edge too. Its probably not a bad idea to pick up something that will save an expensive weekend if something goes TU that you weren't prepared for.

Edited by Sethmark

IMHO, backup guns are really more for when one gun is getting worked on, or to have a spare to lend out, rather than in case one breaks in a match.

If your gun breaks bad enough in a match to require switching out, you probably just trashed a stage (or more) and are out of the running to win the match anyway. But it is nmice having that backup while you have to send the broken gun off to get fixed. But not required (try shooting another Division for a while til the broken gun is fixed).

Of course, it does not hurt to have one..... if you can afford it.

You need at a MINIMUM: an extractor, thumb safeties, firing pin, firing pin stop, slide stop, parts to repair a broken Bo-Mar type sight, fiber optic rods, and springs. These parts ALL need to be fitted and fully functional, parts that you can slap in the gun and shoot with confidence. I will also carry a spare fire control part set (hammer, sear, disco, sear spring) and everything else I need to fix the gun short of a slide, barrel and frame, again everything is fitted and ready to go. I have needed to dip into the parts myself one time, and for others many times. I fixed a bunch of guns at or after the match in the last year, sometimes my fitted spares worked and sometimes I had to dig new parts out of the bag. A back-up gun doesn't cost a lot more than all of the spare parts I think it is prudent to have on hand, and it is a lot easier to toss one in the bag and pull the second out. I do not have a back-up gun for Open or Limited, or Production either. I simply have not had time to build them, and won't for the foreseeable future, so I will stick with spare parts.

I took backups this year to the Multigun Nats. I didn't need a backup shotgun, but a shooter on my squad did. His 1100 died on the first stage he used it on . So far I haven't needed my backup pistol, but it does give the excuse to buy another.

Back up gun (a near or exact twin of the G34/35's that I use) for majors.

Back up box of parts for local matches (for a Glock, that'd be everything except the bbl and slide in a Dillon snap top box).

For the Nats, I even had a contingency G34 top end (I shot Minor and Major 40 in my G35 for the Production and L10 matches respectively) and mags in case my ammo didn't show - I planned on shooting factory 9mm and 40 S&W if necessary.

All this is easy and inexpensive to do with glocks.

eta:

But, honestly, I've never needed any of the backup stuff.

Edited by kevin c

I always have a backup gun- of course I shoot Glocks, so it is cheap. My Limited gun took a nap (broken ejector) at a 3 Gun Nationals several years ago and I never got over it. It cost me a couple of horrible stages (bang- bang- f***) My backup gun is a different caliber and set up more for Defensive- rather than USPSA shooting. I do carry mags and ammo for it as well. The backup saved my investment at a training class a few years ago, and has improved several other folks matches and training classes too. It has been a parts gun, loaner gun, "here try a Glock for this stage/ session" gun, 2nd Classifier gun as well as a spare.

Also you have 2 options with back up guns. You can go the stock route, I.E. if I'm using the backup the match is probably over and I just want to keep shooting. You can go the twin route, I.E. make them identical so if one goes down you don't lose anything with the back up. Both my limited guns are customs but one is heavier than the other and I need to rectify that situation. Only reason though that I have 2 limited guns is probably due to the fact that I wanted a lighter gun after shooting the heavier one for a season.

I wondered about this when I first started, and had a back-up 1911 until Mrs. 2MoreChains decided to join in the fun. Since then I put together a small parts kit common to both our pistols, and keep that in the bottom of my range bag just in case. But lately have been thinking about getting another gun and setting it up as a back-up. I like the idea of having one that is interchangeable as the primary.

You guys are bad for the bank account! But are chock full of good ideas...

Major matches where considerable expense is involved I always have a backup, or make sure one of my buddies has a backup. Local matches, I never bother. In three years I have never resorted to a backup. I also keep all the parts Howard listed in my bag.

I'm convinced more than ever, now. I just need to move my M1A to make the purchase. Thanks for all of the replies!!

To each their own on this, but I'd rather keep the M1A and gather spare parts. As your money builds back up, you can jump into a back up gun.

I have several back ups that I've accrued over the years. And as was mentioned, the best thing about a back up gun is when your primary is down. You can send it to the shop and still stay active. That's by far the biggest benefit.

Again, repetitive with the other posters, but if your gun craps out on a stage at a match you've probably lost substantial points. Like if your gun freezes up completely you get a DNF and a zero for the stage. Even if your extractor breaks you're going to find yourself with a lot less stage points then you'd like. My spare parts bag will fix the vast majority of issues.

The back up gun as used for other shooters - that works for me. I get that.

I don't know, this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't sell the M1A for a back up gun. I might if you needed a primary, but not for a back up.

My last bit of advice . . . a back up gun is not a status symbol. Some perceive it to be, but it isn't. Be careful of that trap. The ony reason I have back up guns is because I wanted a new gun with different charateristics. Nearly every time the new gun would become a primary, and the old gun would slip as my back up. If you're going to build a new gun, at least get something different.

J

I have a back-up production gun because, well, A while back I got a new production gun. The old becomes the backup.

My back up open gun is ... my primary production gun.

Like others have said, if it goes down so hard a firing pin or extractor can't fix it, you're probably out a whole stage's points anyway. At least if I'm shooting open I can keep shooting and have fun and enjoy the match vs sulking home, even if it is shooting minor with a Beretta w/ a couple of 20 round mags.

-rvb

ps. I just placed an order for an SA M1A NM. :ph34r:

If your primary breaks, too late to be match effective as the damage is done. You will be fixing it between stages and a backup has to be approved by match personnel and re-chrono'ed. If you have buddies you can share the backup if someone needs it between eachother as the law of averages says only one of you may need it. Keep your main gun in good working order with visits to your gunsmith prior to big matches and your good.

I disagree strongly with the suggestion that once the primary breaks you may as well just pack it up. For 99.995% of us, this is just for fun. Speaking for myself, there's not a snow ball's chance of freezing in hell that I'm going to win... so a backup gun gets me PLAYING again.

Especially if I drove hundreds of miles and spent some serious bucks, I don't wanna go home with my tail hanging low just because I had a broken toy.