Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resting my V-Tac free float tube against barricades.

badchad

Hey I got what I needed - I got to have a few beers and whiskeys with Kel and we have managed to offically agree the movie lines we plan to use and 'over quote' for the next 6 months ...... what are you guys on about ? :unsure:

"For the greater good!" Repeat as needed to justify whatever you've done!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
I shot a match this weekend and I had to shoot long targets around a barricade, and I think it had a steel ridge that I wasn’t anxious to rest my rifle against.

I figure my options are:

1. Don’t worry about it, the v-tac finish is strong enough you can rest it against anything and not scratch it off.

2. Don’t be so vain. All good shooters scratch the hell out of their rifles.

3. Always keep some skin between the barricade and the rifle.

4. Put some grip tape or (something else) around the forearm to keep from scratching the finish.

So which option is best, and did I miss any?

You missed some.....

5. take a power sander to that V-tac --- once you get past the first couple dozen scratches it gets much easier.....

6. Build three identical rifles, put them on slings of the same length, spend two weeks carrying them all everywhere --- from the same shoulder. They'll bang into each other and be scuffed up in no time letting you get to the shooting....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Try this:

First wrap a towel around your handguard. Best not use your wife's best bath towels. A fairly used hand or dish towel will do. Next wrap the whole thing with duct tape - your choice in color.

Voila! You have a scratch proof forend! Of course, it won't be pretty, but your rifle will be well padded and still look good for the safe! :rolleyes:

I've had bark from a tree I used as support ground into the knurling on my aluminum FF tube for several months now. I tried using a toothbrush to clean it out but it just kinda smeared and spread it. Now I just say "F' it". B)

I am goiing to shoot the ipsc european rifle championship this year and my V-tac was allready ''scratched'' (not that i care :roflol: )

But i made it the Dutch color Orange for this upcoming match ,looks tactical :surprise::surprise:

post-1530-1241349799_thumb.jpg

Edited by patrickbeijer

Patrick, now do the stock and the pistol grip and you HAVE IT!!! Nice rifle! KurtM

I am goiing to paint the stock in the colors of our flag ,red white and bleu :roflol:

And get rid of that silly tube on top!!!!!

trapr

see you in July

I am trying to..... but even with my new CTR02 with irons its hard for me to get used to so in July i will shoot open after that only irons :cheers:

• 3 months later...

Don't motorcross racers always drop their new helmets to put the first scratch on it before they race with it?

Grip tape is actually good to have on the forearm. I used to use an upper with the original JP handguard and it had grip tape on it to make it extra "grippy". This month I used a PRI carbon fiber forearm with grip tape on it and it worked very well.

The tape isn't on there to protect the forearm, but to give a better hold, but it does protect the forearm.

Grip tape rocks!

I have to say I had mixed feelings when I got my AR a year ago. The first competiiton stages felt painful when I had to brake the nice finish. For the same reason I waited too long before applying the grip tape. I tought it would look bad (yeah, I know....). Once the tape is on, I think it is better looking, a tool like my previous competition rifle is ( a SIG 551 with a super ugly homemade forearm mod).

If you are shooting with it, don't hold back. When it has served it's time, it is time to get a new one. Most likely you will itch for a new one before it brakes anyway.

/isto

• 1 month later...
TMC,

Here's one for you, after working the range at Regiment after Airborne school:

84f45cf6.jpg

4ed02781.jpg

Rich

ETA: And it functioned the whole time. :D

Not be an a**hole.....but did you pay for that rifle.....I mean literally? Your military right....so you didn't actually BUY the gun....right!

I shot a match this weekend and I had to shoot long targets around a barricade, and I think it had a steel ridge that I wasn’t anxious to rest my rifle against.

I figure my options are:

1. Don’t worry about it, the v-tac finish is strong enough you can rest it against anything and not scratch it off.

2. Don’t be so vain. All good shooters scratch the hell out of their rifles.

3. Always keep some skin between the barricade and the rifle.

4. Put some grip tape or (something else) around the forearm to keep from scratching the finish.

So which option is best, and did I miss any?

Unfortunately, the finish is not as durable as you think or would like it to be. When I was putting together my upper (having someone else do it), the f***ing idiots at the local Bass Pro Shop's "gunsmith" scratch mine pretty good. I think they were trying to force one of the hex head screws into the holes of the top of the forend. Nevertheless, the finish probably could be "upgraded" for wear resistence....but who has time for that. I guess you could do that in the offseason or something.

TMC,

Here's one for you, after working the range at Regiment after Airborne school:

84f45cf6.jpg

4ed02781.jpg

Rich

ETA: And it functioned the whole time. :D

Not be an a**hole.....but did you pay for that rifle.....I mean literally? Your military right....so you didn't actually BUY the gun....right!

Too late... :roflol:

I think the point being made is that the rifle is a tool and whether "you paid for it" or it belongs to Uncle Sam, they're made to use. If you "scratch it" or get it covered in mud while using it for it's intended purpose, don't whine, just clean it up and go on. If you can't live with that then put it in the safe wrapped in plastic and it'll be nice and new when you pull it out in 6 months to wipe it down.

This is just like someone who buys a Pick-up and then cries when it gets the first scratch in the bed :surprise: ...........HELLO it's a truck....