Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever Watched a Good Series Finale?

After catching the final episode of "The Shield" finale, it got me thinking:

Can you recall the last series finale that you watched AND enjoyed? Could it be that we as viewers have our expectations set far too high?

After catching the final episode of "The Shield" finale, it got me thinking:

Can you recall the last series finale that you watched AND enjoyed? Could it be that we as viewers have our expectations set far too high?

I can think of a few:

M*A*S*H

The Sopranos --- really, I laughed out loud! I get that I'm in the minority, but it reminded me of the ending of a John Sayles movie: "Limbo"

Newhart, absolutely. Perhaps the best moment in the history of television comedy.

I still think they should have had The Sopranos series end with the screen going black as Tony and the family are eating at the diner.....stays black for a few seconds.....then have Bob Newhart waking up in bed:

"Honey? You'll never believe the dream I had this time."

Suzanne Pleshette rolls over: "Oh, go back to sleep, Bob."

Carnivale was cut off short; that was a season-ender, and they just didn't come back. Same with Deadwood.

Let's see, one's I liked. Hmm. Well, referring to an online list of famous series enders (which might raise the question of how much did I really like them, but trust me, I did), they are:

• M*A*S*H* (of course)
  • Newhart (Also of course, though I had to be reminded of it)
  • The Prisoner (am I dating myself yet?)
  • Dallas (Well, I liked it, I don't care if no one else did!)
  • Babylon 5 (A first-class series all around!)
  • Star Trek TNG: All Good Things
  • Star Trek DS9: What you Leave Behind (conclusion of a complex plot that had been building for several episodes)
  • Star Trek Voyager: End Game
  • The Sopranos
  • Six Feet Under (the people that made SFU have gone on to make True Blood, which I think blows!)
  • Stargate SG1: Unending (Didn't really resolve the current plot conflicts; that was left to 2 made-for-DVD movies, which were themselves quite good.

Miami Vice, as much as I liked it, left me wanting more.

Magnum P.I. was funky. IIRC, the series ended and fans clamored for more so they brought him back and strung it out a bit more.

Stargate SG1 was pretty strong.

Farscape was just cut off at the end of season 4. Fans clamored for an ending, so a miniseries was made. I liked it.

Without any doubt, the all time best final episode for a drama was Babylon 5. I still go back and watch it from time to time.

As for comedy, absolutely Newhart. Laughed my ass off for an hour.

Doh!! How could I have left that one out? (have all 5 seasons and the extra movies all on DVD) Think I've been through them now 3 times total.

• 4 weeks later...