Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock accuracy ?

Springfield Champion

The 4 that I've shot pretty much all seem to be about the same in the accuracy dept with the 35 being a tad more accurate. The 22 and 23 in my hands off hand at 20 yds pretty much would only give 3.5" is this about average for glocks in your experience? The simple fact that they are reliable and work is reason enough to like them. It seems like with other pistols you get some that are more accurate that otherothers of the same kind but its looking like glock accuracy is not great, not bad, just ok. Which is ok. I have honestly only shot wolf and CCI brass through them so a ammo change may improve things greatly what has been your experience with them in the accuracy dept? Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's wild. I've never seen "Glock" and "accuracy" in the same topic title before . . . :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Just kidding.

Don't know alot about the accuracy of glocks. I do know I witnessed the host of this site shoot an 8" plate at 50 yards cold with a sub-compact 9mm glock. Now, I can't speak to whether that is the glock talking or the shooter, but it rates as one of the best shots I've ever seen.

J

They are typically a bit more accurate than 3" at 20 yards. 1 1/2-2" at 25 is what I have seen, but it is REALLY hard to do without putting some good sights on the gun. The stock sights are incredibly poor for accuracy work, as are a lot of the aftermarket sights. If you want target gun groups put target gun sights on it. A narrow Dawson front and Bo-Mar type rear works great.

They are typically a bit more accurate than 3" at 20 yards. 1 1/2-2" at 25 is what I have seen, but it is REALLY hard to do without putting some good sights on the gun. The stock sights are incredibly poor for accuracy work, as are a lot of the aftermarket sights. If you want target gun groups put target gun sights on it. A narrow Dawson front and Bo-Mar type rear works great.

Absolutely. Gotta change the crappy sights, and then watch the groups shrink. Glocks take a bit of getting used to also. They have a tendancy to reflect improper grip and trigger pull more than normal because they are lighter guns. So do most of the other polymer framed guns too, but it seems more prominent in the Glock because of the different grip angle.

Absolutely. Gotta change the crappy sights, and then watch the groups shrink. Glocks take a bit of getting used to also. They have a tendancy to reflect improper grip and trigger pull more than normal because they are lighter guns. So do most of the other polymer framed guns too, but it seems more prominent in the Glock because of the different grip angle.

There are other things which contribut to that. The Glock trigger takes a lot of getting use to. I've noticed that the triggers the last couple of years are quite improved over those a several years ago. They seem smoother, with possibly less overtravel. The OT was my pet peave with Glocks. While dry firing I was often unable to hold the front sight steady as the firing pin fell due to the long OT. I've noticed that this doesn't seem to be so bad with newer Glocks. Of course, most of my match guns have OT stops, and that contributes to their accuracy. My first Glock, a G22, had a HORRIBLE trigger. It took several years for me to warm up to Glocks, but now I own 10, so I guess I like 'em!

For a couple years I was using a Jarvis barrel in my G34, thinking I had the Glock accuracy world by the tail. When I would shoot poorly, I blamed me. Then last spring I took both the Jarvis and the OEM barrel to an indoor range. At about 15 yards I shot a close to 4" group with the Jarvis. That wasn't terribly satisfying to me, so I tried the OEM and got a sub 2" group. In this instance, at least, the Glock barrel was substantially more accurate. No, I wouldn't choose a Glock for a bullseye gun, but it has more than enough accuracy for action shooting. Glocks, IMHO, are still the best value on the market out of the box, when you look at a the total package: accuracy, reliability, handling, and cost.

I've regularly seen better accuracy than 3 inches out of my Glocks when I'm doing my part. As others have noted, better sights are essential, and trigger improvements such as a Vanek drop-in or at least a LWD 3.5# connector make a difference.

Curtis

With the right ammo, I've seen G17s do sub 1" groups at 25m, shooting from a rest (not a Ransom Rest). Best ammo I've ever shot through my G17 was Swedish surplus steel core and I've not been able to handload, or find factory ammo that can outshoot this ammo...

With the right ammo, I've seen G17s do sub 1" groups at 25m, shooting from a rest (not a Ransom Rest). Best ammo I've ever shot through my G17 was Swedish surplus steel core and I've not been able to handload, or find factory ammo that can outshoot this ammo...

Wow! 1" is great for ANY pistol!

+1 on the above.

BB

I bought a G17 for GSSF matches and for USPSA Production. I am really frustrated at the lack of accuracy...it pisses me off. My G26 and G19 both perform better in the accuracy department. Do did my previous G17 and my G35. Yeah, I have tried various brands of ammo and several reloads. Grrrr...not what I expected.

Thanks for the input, you never know which topics will take off on this forum.As for now I want to keep the glock stock. I like the big ole white sight for now, its easier to see in low light. I realize this isn't a target gun but 3and a half inches isn't awe inspiring but every stinking glock I have ever put my hands on has went bang and functioned and I love that in a gun, "TRUST". There has been a many an auto with an attitude problem occasionally. I never really considered loosing accuracy at the sights but come to think of it they are pretty big and wide. :wub:

Does changing the ammo make a big difference in auto's like it does in revolvers?

Glocks are capable of decent accuracy. Two weeks ago after a gssf match, i hit a 12 inch plate a few times at 100yds while shooting unsupported. but i missed with the other dozen rounds in the mag! the gun is a G22 with some polishing on the trigger but it does have dawson front and rear sights. i honestly wasnt expecting the gun to hit the steel, but the Glock did it.

-N

Don't know alot about the accuracy of glocks. I do know I witnessed the host of this site shoot an 8" plate at 50 yards cold with a sub-compact 9mm glock. Now, I can't speak to whether that is the glock talking or the shooter, but it rates as one of the best shots I've ever seen.

J

I think the final shot on that "walk back" with the TGO was 80 yards. ;)

And it had to have been the force. It was the first time I'd ever shot the pistol, and I hadn't even checked the zero. I was carrying it in my pocket, so Robbie didn't even know I had it when the walk back started. After everyone shot the first distance and started walking back to the second distance, I said hey, don't I get to play. They all thought it was real funny when I pulled the glock out of my pocket. But I had the last laugh. :D I can still remember the look on Robby's face as he was shaking his head slowly in disbelief.

I figured since I didn't even know where the gun was zeroed, all I could do was make sure I had surprise break for each shot, and the bullet would find the target.

be

J

I think the final shot on that "walk back" with the TGO was 80 yards. ;)

And it had to have been the force. It was the first time I'd ever shot the pistol, and I hadn't even checked the zero. I was carrying it in my pocket, so Robbie didn't even know I had it when the walk back started. After everyone shot the first distance and started walking back to the second distance, I said hey, don't I get to play. They all thought it was real funny when I pulled the glock out of my pocket. But I had the last laugh. :D I can still remember the look on Robby's face as he was shaking his head slowly in disbelief.

I figured since I didn't even know where the gun was zeroed, all I could do was make sure I had surprise break for each shot, and the bullet would find the target.

be

[Thread Drift]

I'm so glad you remember that.

For those that don't know, one of Robbie's (and possibly Brian's - Brian and I didn't practice that much together) was to set up a target and then start at something like 20 yards or so. You'd play a game of who could hit the target. And, if my memory is correct, what we'd do is each person would get one shot. If you missed you'd get a second shot to make the necessary adjustments. If you missed shot number two then you were out. To my recollection, we NEVER shot this drill with open guns. It was always an iron sight drill, normally with single stack .45's since they are ballistically challenged.

Anyhow, the drill was relatively easy back to about 50 or 60 yards. Not easy, but certainly doable. After each distance you'd take about 3 steps back.

That day was nearly exactly as Brian describes. Rob and I were playing - and I don't really recall who else. Maybe Kip? I don't know. And we kept stepping back, and stepping back. Brian was just watching. Hanging out. We were all giving each other a ton of grief about this that and the other.

And I don't know if the final distance was because one of us missed or what. And I didn't recall the exact distance. As Brian knows we got WAY out there at times - like 80-100 yards.

Either way Daddy E grins at some absurd distance and says "don't I get to play?" We're all puzzled cause he has no gear. Out whips this little Glock. He admits he's never shot it and we're all joshing him about excuses. Nope - one shot and one ding. It was truly an amazing shot. And one I didn't care to follow.

Glad you remembered that Brian. It's a good memory!

[Thread drift off]

Jackl

Glocks have gotten a bad rap from some folks (and certain gunwriters, I'm sad to say) because a lot of people just can't shoot them that well, and they blame the guns for their own lack of skill. But from the bench at 50 feet (the maximum distance possible at the indoor range on which I do most of my shooting), I've shot 1" groups with both my G34 and G17 on numerous occasions. As a matter of fact, my current Glock 17 came to me as an article sample gun, that I decided to buy from Glock after testing because it shot so well.

Does changing the ammo make a big difference in for accuracy for auto's like it does in revolvers?

Sure it can, like any other gun. For instance, both my G20 and G29 hate the Double Tap 180 gr. "target" load. My G20 shot approx. in 4", at 12 YARDS, but that was with a Lone Wolf barrel, so I'm not sure if a Glock OEM would be better or not. At the same distance my G29 (with issued Glock barrel) put 3 of those loads in about 6", and the bullets key-holed. I'm not sure what bullet DT uses in that load, but it's plum awful! Other DT ammo shot reasonable well, but for some reason the "target" load was anything but! <_<

There are a gazillion Glocks out there...all made from a variety of stamped parts. I am always surprised at how well they (most all) work and shoot. There are bound to be a few bad eggs though.

The barrels are usually rather good.

Slide to frame tightness can vary a bit. A strong recoil spring seems to keep the gun locked up surprisingly well, however. (In dry-fire, watch the gun from the side. As the trigger breaks, notice how much the slide springs away from the frame near the back rails.)

The springy lever that locks the slide to the frame (break-down lever)...if you get a dud, it can impact on barrel lock-up. Might make a difference in grouping.

So, did I just get a "bad" G17 or do I just suck at shooting a group?

Well, I kind of doubt it's you. Why not borrow someone else's G17 and see how that shoots for you?

BTW, if you want an accuracy load in 9mm, I highly recommend the Hornady 115-grain XTP. Ridiculously accurate in just about everything I've put it through.

So, did I just get a "bad" G17 or do I just suck at shooting a group? :roflol:

Ron,

You might want to take the barrel out of the slide and check the barrel to locking block mate. I noticed the locking block on my G17 had some battering on one side after a few 1000 rounds.