Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PreMatch Jitters

Gunreaper

Preparation starts before you get to the line. Know where your at in the rotation. I start to calm my nerves when I know I am "In the hole" or "On Deck".

Visualize how you are going to shoot while the people ahead of you are shooting. When it's your turn, take a deep breathe, relax and just shoot. Most importantly, have fun.

Here's the thing... those jitters are simply your brain reacting to the fact that you're about to do something really damn cool and exciting. That's it ;) Save that stuff up and use it... The problem most folks encounter is how to focus it onto something useful. Mitch is right on about the breathing - some slow, deep breaths will help to bring the heart rate back down and level your head. And I mean purposefully slow and deep. Remind yourself that the nerves/jitters are normal, and just an indication that you're excited about what you're going to do, and then focus on the task at hand - run the stage through in your head, still breathing deeply and calmly. Keep breathing smoothly and deeply right through "Make Ready" and to "Standby"... then give it hell.

What I love is the post-stage adrenaline hit... when its hard, my hands will shake for a good 3-4 shooters after me :lol: Breathing helps with that, too...

practice with a timer

devolope a routine you go through from the time you are on deck until that buzzer

ask someone to run you during practice sessions

shoot classifiers with multi strings and starts

shoot some steel matches... they start you many times in the match and it will burn a lot of that off after a few stages...

focus on the task at hand.. block out everyone else on the range

if you have extra time use it running through what you are going to do... cut the grab ass when you are in the hole from that point on it's all business

have a firm plan and a backup should something go south... that is don't walk to the line thinking oh shit, what am i doing... driving up the anxiety

put the time in in practice... the more you do it the less anxiety you will have and the more capable you are

drop your shoulders if you are tense... I drop my shoulders and loosely shake my arms and fingers... wiggle your toes.. you can't wiggle your toes and be tense.

i had a very bad case of what you are dealing with... it was in a steel match i finally got over shaking really bad at the line... you simply can not hold that level of anxiety for as long as you're on the line. you burn that adrenaline out of your system and accept.. you are still keyed, but the really severe stuff fades to a manageable level

thats all i have for you... that and time

Edited by JThompson

<_< heart rate control is a skill that can be practiced just like, drifire.

first step in learning is, = can you make your hart rate go -UP- with just thoughts? practice that part it is the easy-est part.

Try to do it with out angry thoughts

Second tool is to under stand and make this something that you know as a fact. _-If you can bring it -UP- with just your thoughts = thin you can bring it down with just your thoughts.

one tool to help your thoughts do its part is breathing exercises Read up on proper breathing. most of us do not breath properly. Oxygen is a very powerful tool for the brain.

Do not let your chin drop down = it lets the air in the thought area get turbulent and less Ox reaches the lungs.

Oxygen IN the lungs and CO2 Out is the key.

One more hint on breathing = fill your lungs like you are filling a big jug of water that has to last you two days in the desert. ..Breath out like the old air is dirty water that you want to get rid of before you put the clean water in.

Take 10 seconds to fill your lungs and take 20 seconds to blow all the air out All of it

Worry is caused by -"What IF" to keep your thoughts from wondering ...= Give your thoughts direction on what you WANT to happen don't allot any time on thoughts of what you Don't want to happen.

<_< But thing again ...I don't know nothing

Maybe not as intense as my first ever COF, but I'm sure we can all say most of us all still get them. I know I do, as I've said before, the day I no longer have those jitters, is the day I will probably hang up my holster and find something else to do with my time.

Those jitters are good, now find a way to channel them towards a goal.

I find that a quart of vodka before a match will calm me right down. :cheers:

Seriously, I remember those butterflys in the stomach and heart in the throat when stepping up to the firing line, especially at a big match.

I've always found that it disappears when the timer goes off,... or maybe I was too busy shooting to notice.

After the first stage or two it generally goes away.

You are absolutely right.

Repetition and time will replace that nervousness with calm and confidence.

The excitement I get now doesn't come at the beginning of the stage, it comes at the end.

If I shot well, that is my happy place. ;)

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Before I became a competitor in shooting sports, I was (and still am) a competitive fencer. I have competed local, state, nationally, and internationally in the sport of fencing. I found out that I get nervous about how I am going to do before the first bout against an opponent. After the first bout my nervousness goes away, no matter how it went. I get a feel for how I am feeling and can focus better the rest of the tournament.

The suggestions that others gave are helpful, but for me it all comes down to getting that first stage out of the way. It is about finding your comfort zone where you can harness your energy towards your goal. I can practice every chance I get, but it never matches how I feel at a match. As long as I know that it is not a match I don't get the nerves that come to me at one.

:sight:

As soon as you can, get yourself out to

one of the larger regional matches, and

you'll NEVER get the jitters at a local

match again.

My first larger match kept me awake all

the night before (never got to sleep at

all:((( - but I still calmed down once the

shooting go going - everybody was very

nice and helpful, so it wasn't as stressful

as the night before.

The more experience you get, the fewer

jitters you get.

Good luck - stay with it. It gets better.

I usually go tease and cajole Thomas Moore or John Fadorsen til I am relaxed.

Everybody still gets amped up sometimes. Like Matt, I like it.

Relax. Accept that you are as good as you have prepared, today. Find the Target. Aim. Shoot. Repeat.

Once you step up to the line and the RO is asking if you're ready?

You're done bro.

The time for worrying is OVER.

All the worrying and prep time was what should have come BEFORE you stepped up to the line.

You will do as well as you've prepared to do.

If you've put in the time dry firing and practicing reloads when the weather is bad and practicing on the range when you can and your budget allows then you will do well.

If not then your performance will reflect that also.

Take/make the time to prepare and remember:

"Do or do not....there is no try."

ALSO:

+1 on the breathing exercises.

DO this one:

Inhale for 3 seconds, hold for 3 seconds, exhale for 3 seconds, hold for 3 seconds

Do that a minimum of 3X and you can measure your heart rate going down.

Sympathetic vs Autonomic nervous systems.

Only part of Autonomic we can consciously control is breathing and its the bridge between the two.

Try it.

JK

• 1 month later...

We have our issues in our tissues! Your psycho-emotional state will manifest in your body. The suggestions on breathing are right on. One of the fastest ways to change the character of the mental state is to change the breath. If you will include in your pre-shooting routine, a moment to observe your "condition", (shoulders tight, jaws tight, forearms tight, facial muscles drawn tight??) and with each out breath, let those structures relax. Simple stretches, don't forget to breath. The excitement doesn't go away, the anticipation doesn't diminish, you change your relationship with it and direct it more to your own purpose. It really IS a Quantum Universe and Consciousness really does participate in the creation of material reality.

The secret to immortality is not a fountain somewhere. It's easier than that!!! Don't forget to breathe!! Nuthin' to it.

We have our issues in our tissues! Your psycho-emotional state will manifest in your body. The suggestions on breathing are right on. One of the fastest ways to change the character of the mental state is to change the breath. If you will include in your pre-shooting routine, a moment to observe your "condition", (shoulders tight, jaws tight, forearms tight, facial muscles drawn tight??) and with each out breath, let those structures relax. Simple stretches, don't forget to breath. The excitement doesn't go away, the anticipation doesn't diminish, you change your relationship with it and direct it more to your own purpose. It really IS a Quantum Universe and Consciousness really does participate in the creation of material reality.

The secret to immortality is not a fountain somewhere. It's easier than that!!! Don't forget to breathe!! Nuthin' to it.

For me prematch jitters means that I have too much invested in the outcome of the match. I am usually overly concerned about doing well which creates my own jitters (anxiety) which then shows up as tension in my body. Redmanfixit is exactly right. Relaxing and stop focusing on the outcome of the match, stage, etc. and begin focusing on the fun of shooting helps.

Edited by Jimlakeside

Here's the thing... those jitters are simply your brain reacting to the fact that you're about to do something really damn cool and exciting. That's it ;) Save that stuff up and use it... The problem most folks encounter is how to focus it onto something useful. Mitch is right on about the breathing - some slow, deep breaths will help to bring the heart rate back down and level your head. And I mean purposefully slow and deep. Remind yourself that the nerves/jitters are normal, and just an indication that you're excited about what you're going to do, and then focus on the task at hand - run the stage through in your head, still breathing deeply and calmly. Keep breathing smoothly and deeply right through "Make Ready" and to "Standby"... then give it hell.

What I love is the post-stage adrenaline hit... when its hard, my hands will shake for a good 3-4 shooters after me :lol: Breathing helps with that, too...

Yep - I sometimes shake for the next 2-3 shooters and that is a large part of the addiction to open!!! :rolleyes: Use it to your advantage!!

I didn't get the jitters until I actually joined USPSA. Before that I shot just for fun and didn't care about the time. Last match though, I helped with set-up the day before, and with set-up the morning before. I was so interested in everything going well for the match in general that it just took almost all the jitters away. I had the best time I ever had at a match. (And I even blew the classifier!)

So if possible, try that. Nothing makes me laugh more than seeing the gamers pick apart a stage. That was a true eye-opening experience.

I do practice though and find that the more I practice leading up to match day, the less nervous I am. I still get excited, but I know what I can and cannot do at that point with clarity. Then I can focus on being, seeing, and doing.