Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI opinions

RangerTrace

Work took me to the Dallas area today so, I stopped by SVI to take a look. I have always liked the looks of SVIs, but rarely see anyone shooting one in limited. At least not in my area.

Anyway, they took the time to build/price me a 5" sight tracker on the gun builder program and I was pretty impressed with the price. I also had the chance to feel the aluminum and stainless grips they will be using! I think I'm going to start saving money/selling things to buy one. I'm not unhappy with my Tripp gun at all, but I would like to have a backup gun for matches.

What do ya'll think of the SVI limited guns?

First response would be " YOU HAVE A TRIPP GUN!!! :cheers: "

Second response would be "YOU HAVE A TRIPP GUN AND WANT SOMETHING ELSE!!! :angry2: "

All kidding aside, you have a Tripp gun? :roflol:

Ok, Ok, nothing wrong with SVIs in my opinion other than the price but they do use all good parts to the best of my knowledge.

First response would be " YOU HAVE A TRIPP GUN!!! :cheers: "

Second response would be "YOU HAVE A TRIPP GUN AND WANT SOMETHING ELSE!!! :angry2: "

All kidding aside, you have a Tripp gun? :roflol:

Ok, Ok, nothing wrong with SVIs in my opinion other than the price but they do use all good parts to the best of my knowledge.

Yes I've had my Tripp gun for a few months now and have put 2000 flawless rounds through it. Yes I know, most of you shoot 2k a week or month. Oh well, at least I'm trying. Anyway, I want a back up, (spare) limited gun. I've attempted to trade a few folks out of a gun on this site with no luck. So, I thought I might try another angle. The SVI would be around $2800.

IMG_0982.jpg

I can certainly speak volumes about the quality of the Tripp gun, as I have Trace's younger brother. The SVIs I've handled have all been top shelf production guns. Comparatively speaking the SVIs are not as tight or with the attention to detail that Virgil used, but still outstanding firearms.

I started out using an SVI site tracker and it ran flawlessly! It took me to M class in limited in 2 years. That think would EAT anything I used for ammo (except the squib rod I tried using once just for the fun of it.... :rolleyes: )

I think Brandon and Sandi do an outstanding job with their pistols. You will be very happy with your purchase. I like the idea of having the details of the pistol worked out for your preferences.

Good people, good guns. I say you did well.

I've had mine several months now, It's definately a nice pistol, no question about that, but given the price, that's a minimal expectation. If I had it to do over, given the price, I'd opt for a nice custom from Bennie or Dawson or Tripp.

2734062289_d4624ded5b_b.jpg

Work took me to the Dallas area today so, I stopped by SVI to take a look. I have always liked the looks of SVIs, but rarely see anyone shooting one in limited. At least not in my area.

Anyway, they took the time to build/price me a 5" sight tracker on the gun builder program and I was pretty impressed with the price. I also had the chance to feel the aluminum and stainless grips they will be using! I think I'm going to start saving money/selling things to buy one. I'm not unhappy with my Tripp gun at all, but I would like to have a backup gun for matches.

What do ya'll think of the SVI limited guns?

I have owned an blued 5" SV limited gun for 2 seasons now. Very nice reliable pistol. I must say their parts appear top notch. I got mine from speedshooter and had it the day after I ordered it as at the time it was in stock and ready to go.

A few months ago I decided to finally get the 6" gun I always wanted and I decided to go the custom route. It's nice to be able to talk to the actual smith building your gun and discuss things like the size of the safety levers, weight preferances, balance etc. I don't know how much better this will be than my tried and true SV but good or bad, it will be exactly as I wanted it.

I have a bone to pick with Infinity/SVI. :angry2:

Their guns are so well designed and built to the point that there is not much I can do to improve them. I mean, really, how is one to be able to make a decent living out of fixing manufacturers shortcomings, if there are not that many ?????

Keep it up, Brandon (and Sandy and all)

I wouldn't trade my SVI for anything...... except maybe two more just like it. :wub:

My Brazos open gun and my SVI are the only guns I own that haven't been to the gunsmith for some sort of upgrade.

Don't need one.

Edited by 38superman

I've run a factory SV limited gun that I purchased from Shooters Connection since 2001. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Built like tank, runs like a Vette (when I do my part.)

My 6" 38 Super is built on an SV frame, slide and small parts (bbl by Kart :wub: ) by Neil Keller (www.kustom-ballistics.com) - just as good if not better.

I have had my SV for a year and a 2 months. In that time, it has fired approx 8,000 rnds. 6 times it had a fte. I replaced the factory extractor with a Aftec. It is now perfect again for a little over 1200 rnds. The Gun had 8000 rnds through it when I got it. I have shot Tanfoglios, Sti edge's and other every plastic gun made. I Would not trade my SV for any of them. If this gun blew up or was stolen. I would not think twice about replacing it with another SV.

Gotta admit I've always liked the way they look. Clean lines, unique slides, very smooth looking. And yet somehow, the fit is better than the finish more times than not! :)

Just wish they did some sort of contingency program like STI. Other than that I would give 'em 2 very big thumbs up! B)

I have two SVIs. Great pistols. I have a Tripp built SS. I am having a SVI SS built. The pistol that gives me the most trouble is my STI Trojan. Oh yeah I did own a STI Edge. Good pistol but prefer the SVI.

Sandy is the guy who innovates more than anyone else. His stuff is more expensive but it is worth it. But that is just my opinion.

Sandy showed me his new stuff at Nationals. It is way cool what he can do with the grips, triggers etc.

I have a bone to pick with Infinity/SVI. :angry2:

Their guns are so well designed and built to the point that there is not much I can do to improve them. I mean, really, how is one to be able to make a decent living out of fixing manufacturers shortcomings, if there are not that many ?????

Keep it up, Brandon (and Sandy and all)

WOW. Now that is a compliment. If Venry likes them, they gotta be excellent!

SV machining is the best in the industry. Their finished guns are almost too pretty to shoot! Brandon has the operation running well now and I have been very impressed by the guns coming out of there. I LOVE my limited SV and will Never sell it. Almost had them build me an open top end, but decided to build my first ground up gun instead since I already had an STI frame anyway.

So, start saving!

SV machining is the best in the industry. Their finished guns are almost too pretty to shoot! Brandon has the operation running well now and I have been very impressed by the guns coming out of there. I LOVE my limited SV and will Never sell it. Almost had them build me an open top end, but decided to build my first ground up gun instead since I already had an STI frame anyway.

So, start saving!

Thanks!!

I've been trying to decide what do buy for awhile now. Sv or st. I'm leaning toward the sv. I wish I could find a used one in 9mm for idpa. That sounds like a good place to start with one. Maybe I won't get thrown off be for talking about idpa,but I thought some of the uspsa guys might have there old idpa gun in the safe waiting for me.

Brandon