Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 SMM3G - Mesa, AZ (3/26 > 3/29/2009)

Round counts:

Rifle 181

Shotgun 88

Slugs 12

Pistol 67

TOTAL: 348

I can never remember.. are these counts if you take 2 shots at all paper.. or just one?

Two for Rifle and Pistol paper targets; one for clay birds, slug targets and long range rifle targets. But if you can shoot one "A" hit on a paper targe - you won't have to take another shot. I would also suggest reviewing the stage descriptions posted on our web site.

K?

A2Chic :ph34r:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round counts:

Rifle 181

Shotgun 88

Slugs 12

Pistol 67

TOTAL: 348

I can never remember.. are these counts if you take 2 shots at all paper.. or just one?

I checked the stages descriptions and if I remember correctly it was something like 100 rifle and 40 pistol _targets_.

Are stage descriptions released early for this match like they were for the Area 2 Championship? This will be my first SMM3G and I'm super stoked.

If you haven't already found them... the stage designs are on our web site. The link is on the left hand side of the home page under "Stages".

A2Chic :ph34r:

I shot the ROs match today - a lot of fun, as always, and a lot of well-designed stages. If you like rifle hoser stages, you will LOVE this match. Several high round count shotgun stages too, probably as a result of the criticism last year. Long range rifle seems less than in previous years, but that's probably a blessing given the wind we had today. Several stages have changed significantly in layout, so don't get too hung up on the match booklet.

This happened to me on Stage 5 :D ...

BrokenAR15TriggerPin.jpg

I shot the match yesterday as well. Lots of good stages and the round count was definitely higher than the last year I shot it. The winds were pretty vicious at the end of the day blowing over targets constantly. I saw them bringing out more stakes at the end of the day.

Fortunately I didn't have any real equipment problems (I had one malfunction with my Saiga that required running the bolt on the last stage). My main problem was my short attention span forgetting where targets were on some stages :wacko:

Everybody seems to be dealing with wind this weekend. :surprise:

Thursday, the RO's were getting poppers blown over. 65 mph winds overnight knocked over a LOT of stuff including a porta potty and closed I-40 around Holbrook!

But the SMM3G staff got everything up again and we've been running on time.

Weather nice since Friday! RO's cool! The flash bulbs on the longer range targets(Flash Targets) are a big improvement! Immediate feedback! Lot's of great people and sponsors here! Thanks to all of them for sponsoring and letting us play!

Love my Sabre side sights, too. :bow: They are great for the close up rifle! (I just love everything about my "Diega"! That's my Sabre rifle's name! Get it? The Sabre Tooth in Ice age?!?!?!?)

My squad is way cool and patient with me...It's just been really fun...so far! Two more stages tomorrow!

Everyone's at the banquet tonight. I'm going to sleep! :yawn:

Wish I could shoot better... :(

Anyway, good match! Thanks for all the great help and work everyone puts in to make this happen!

P.S. Love the abandonment barrels! :bow: Seriously. They're working great!

Chris and Nor Cal crew, go and kick butt!!! (I vote Chris S. for Tactical Division win)

Rich

rich-if chris is shooting superstition, he's doing it in one day-he's shooting the larue 3 gun in waco this weekend...

That's funny. I saw Chris and mentioned his name was on the squad list for the Larue match. He said he didn't even know his name was on there.

I shot the ROs match today - a lot of fun, as always, and a lot of well-designed stages. If you like rifle hoser stages, you will LOVE this match. Several high round count shotgun stages too, probably as a result of the criticism last year. Long range rifle seems less than in previous years, but that's probably a blessing given the wind we had today. Several stages have changed significantly in layout, so don't get too hung up on the match booklet.

BrokenAR15TriggerPin.jpg

The broken bolt at RM3G and now this. You are having all the luck at the big matches. I had a few jams (which never happens at the local matches) but at least nothing broke.

I just got home from shooting my first 3 gun competition ever- The Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun. I was the worst shooter in my group, but my squad mates were awesome (Squad 7) -you know who you are. This is really fun shooting, unbelievable, awesome, raging, and is a way cool match. I learned a lot, had a lot of fun shooting, had a great time with the RO's who were great, didn't give anything away, but knew I was taking it sure and steady as my first 3-gun. Lots of mentalness, lots of shots, just everything you could want in a match. Got to see some great shooters-in my own squad-also Taran, Nils, Tasha-just really an eye opener. It's a game, a great game, go if you get the chance. I want to do it again! Thanks!

BrokenAR15TriggerPin.jpg

Well we talked about your broken bolt and now your trigger pin, at the match (I like

to break windows !! :lol:) but I think I've got you beat this time since I did'nt get to finish. This is what happened

to me on the first shot of rifle/pistol stage 9. 150sec in FTE ended the match for me, this was my last

stage of the match ... :angry2::angry2:

It's ok, I was having a really bad match anyway and needed this for a sort of control,alt,delete, of my current

performance level... :cheers:

post-10849-1238475368_thumb.jpg

post-10849-1238475389_thumb.jpg

What do you guys think on the cause ?? I dont generaly have "any" gun/ammo problems as I take most things into account

and test and inspect everything ?? 07 LC case, once fired, some pressure signs of a flat primer with firing pin cratering(ejector mark)

but I'm not sure if thats enough. I'm using Varget with a 69 SMK and dont think I could get enough in there to OP ??

Could the bolt have not been in battery ?? Here's what I did different right before the failure, I decided, like a dumbass, to

borrow a friends 52 rounder which works flawlessly in his guns but was untested in mine right before the stage. My ammo

lenth did rub the noses but I hand stripped 40 rounds through it and decided it was going to work ?? Could this mag have

put pressure on the bolt preventing complete lock up (everything in the gun is lightened), would it matter ??

Edited by P.Pres

P.P.

the case was over-stretched when you put your powder and bullet in it. has nothing to do with mags. how many firings had you done on that case? If it was "once-fired", I'll wager that it wasn't...unless it was fired in a SAW or other machine gun...

jj

P.P.

the case was over-stretched when you put your powder and bullet in it. has nothing to do with mags. how many firings had you done on that case? If it was "once-fired", I'll wager that it wasn't...unless it was fired in a SAW or other machine gun...

jj

+1

Probably shot out of a SAW. Those things F brass up worse than any other gun on the planet.

What do you guys think on the cause ??

Tough to say. Could the bullet have set back when you were chambering it (perhaps due to 52-round mag) ? Have you checked the headspace of your barrel (could it be at the high end of spec, or even too long) ? I doubt it was out-of-battery, as an in-spec AR15 firing pin cannot touch the primer unless the bolt is properly rotated into battery. Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree with JJ that the case may have been weakened in some way before you loaded it.

Great match except for a couple of things that have plagued SMM3G for the last couple of years. The long range rifle steel needs to have backers or be painted. Quite a few targets just plain disappeared into the desert background and were very hard to see even with scopes on 4X. On one stage there was a LaRue target near a gray green bush that was invisible to the shooter and more than a couple shooters noted that they had to "area fire" at it as they didn't know where exactly it was. SMM3G was the very first match to use target backers, I just hope they remember to do it again!

Tac Iron was once again treated like the red head step-child. The plaque was half the size of the the plaque for Tac-Scope and the first place prize was once again worth about half of the first place prize on the other tables. If the division is dying just drop it but don't treat it as a third class also ran division, it is insulting to the shooters who work just as hard or harder than those of the other divisions. Now before you think this is just an Iron Sight guy whinning...I jumped divisions and shot my Iron Sight rifle in Tac Scope against the optic boys and girls, so I was unaffected by the treatment of the Iron Sight Division....but that still doesn't make it right.

Now those were the couple of down sides, the up sides were many more. The stages were outstanding, a great balance of multi-gun fun from hosing to precision. Great and consistent R.O.s. Some good old Shotgun loading, and hard pistol swingers and drop turners. This in My mind is one of the top 3, ( SMM3G, DPMS,RM3G) 3-gun match in the U.S. and I will always be there! A great big thanks to all the sponsors and staff that continue to make this a don't miss event! Kurt Miller

This was the 13th SMM3Gun and my 3rd visit. Having shot several major 3 gun matches over the years this “square-range” match is still one of the best in the nation!

Stages were well understood by the range officials and things ran on time and by the (IMGA) book. Stats were accurate and updates were quick.

Range personnel were as per usual at this match, fair, thoughtful and friendly. I do however find it amazing that year after year these diehards

can still put up with us and maintain their excellent attitudes!

Stage 5 required accurate slug work (when I could get the slugs too work) followed by scoot and shoot rifle finishing up with additional accurate rifle fire.

6 combined some close and hose with longer range rifle targets that tested many competitors.

Stages 10 and 11 were straight forward shotgun only courses that were swift, fun and balanced shooting with reloading.

Stage 1 was a move and shoot rifle stage that finished up with one’s pistol and array of paper with two drop turners.

This one caught me with a miss on both rifle and pistol. Stages 2 and 8 were “puzzle stages” with several keys to the kingdom.

Stage 8 puzzled me enough to bring on a third miss penalty.

Stages 3 and 7 were simple at first glance but the use of all three guns combined with movement and target placement made for a challenge.

The chopper fuselage was again a starting point for another all shotgun stage on stage 4 where reloading was emphasized (an emphasis I fail to capitalize on).

Stage 9 had walls, ports and hi-speed riflery with two very quick pistol swingers at the finish that created a flurry of “insurance shots”.

The SMM 3Gun is the spring ice breaker for many of us around the country. It is a great match to rub shoulders and compete with some of the best USA.

Fun is sure to be had and between the excellent logistics, stage design and location this match is an example of how to produce a successful Multigun match.

We are blessed to have several of its kind and I need to shoot them all!

A BIG thanks to all the crew that made the Superstition Mountain Mystery 3 Gun a great experience!

Another BIG thanks to the massive support of the shooting sports industry and their generous contribution to the incredible prize tables!

Patrick

I thought the overall stage design was excellent, nothing was super hard, except seeing some LR targets 2 I think which is not bad in the overall scheme but man they were hard to see, optics shooters complained about them as well.

Stage 8, In my opinion should not have been there , if the average shooter cannot figure out the stage in the 5 minute walk thru then its too difficult. Most everyone I saw was asking previous shooters what they had done, i was doing the same, if the targets had simply dropped when shot it would have been much easier to shoot.

All the other stages were GREAT!!!, a very good mix of skills, for each gun, i did hear some Hicap pistoleros complaining about not needing to make a reload, but shooting a SS .45 required a few instead of too many, so it was nice.

The wind made for uncertainty with the rifle, but it is a good test. There were plenty of good things about the match and very few things I would like to see changed.

For the LaMarca's farewell match it was the best I've seen in a long time.

trapr

Huge huge thanks to the ROs, Staff, MDs, and of course, the sponsors.

This was my first major 3 gun match and it left me breathless! Wide variety of stages and great people, can't ask for more.

Edited by Papa Wheelie

Boy am I getting a lot of chiding in P.M.s.... NO I DID NOT SHOOT A SCOPED RIFLE!!!!!!

I shot my IRON SIGHTED RIFLE (that I always shoot) IN TAC SCOPE!! You might say I shot the whole match on 1X :roflol: KurtM