Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Custom" work on a gun you don't expect

MichiganShootist

I have a beloved Colt pistol in which I have invested quite a bit of money. It's a limited production Officers model which is no longer being made. I love the gun and MOST of the work done on it... but now I find myself in a bind due to work done on the gun by a major industry "player".

One of the well known suppliers milled my slide front and rear a few years ago for their brand night sights. Now that I find the sights going dim (even though they were to last decades) I thought it was time for some new sights. At this jucture I find out that they milled the rear of my slide for a standard Novak sight... but the front slide cut is for some half a$$ed custom measurement... for which no company makes front sights. (other than the guy who cut up my slide) I went back and checked their WWW site and catalog and it says "Novak like" slide cuts..... TALK ABOUT FINE PRINT!!! :sick:

Isn't that just great. So instead of a .330" X 65 degrees or .330" X 60 degrees (which covers about 90% of the sights in the Brownells catalog)....I find mine slide is cut to .300" X 60 degrees and every one I have spoken with says that re-cutting the slide is really not a good option because the variation is so small. So the only options I seem to have are.... buying another set of their expensive but crappy sights or buy a front sight and pay to have it custom fit to the gun. ....(which may or may not work)

Making matters worse is the fact that this gun is a 3.5" barreled .45 so all the front sights made for 5" guns are the wrong height--- further limiting my options.

Buyer beware. I would have never allowed them to put a proprietary cut in my slide. :angry2:

In keeping with the forum rules I didn't mention the name of this firm.... But I do answer all PMs :devil:

Edited by MichiganShootist

That's what I was thinking Flex. I doubt if the "seller" made his own sights.

I checked my records just now----and they are just 30 months old... and they only way you can see them at all is in a TOTALLY black room at about 24" or less from your face. Plus the white "rim" around the vials have always been hard to pick up in the day time. These sights and the milling cost over $200 so... they should have been right.. and should have lasted for a Hell of a lot longer.

If I had my choice.. I'd probably go to a FO front and some form of all black rear blade... which is the competiton sight picture I am more used too... and hell at my age and marital status... I'm not allowed out after dark anyway.

Well after a couple phone calls.... I found out that replacing the vials in any night sights will not happen ...not for me... not for anyone!!! It seems that the NRC has very strict rules about these tiny little radio-active items being "messed with"... so there is no way that they can be replaced. I was told that if you had a few hundred thousand of them ... you might be able to make a really small dirty bomb. :surprise:

I did get myself worked up enough to call the "supplier" of my sights...again...(probably call number 10 or 20).... and now they are willing to have me ship them my slide .. (at my expense and risk)...and will "consider" replacing the sights "if" they feel that they have dimmed too much. :wacko: It's like dealing with the government.

I think Brian (or the guys out at Dillon) need to make a house call on this company to train them on customer service concepts. Everything is company and procedural focused not client focused.

Rant off--- At least for a while :closedeyes:

Isn't that just great. So instead of a .330" X 65 degrees or .330" X 60 degrees (which covers about 90% of the sights in the Brownells catalog)....I find mine slide is cut to .300" X 60 degrees and every one I have spoken with says that re-cutting the slide is really not a good option because the variation is so small.

Isnt that an STI front sight cut which is .300" X .060" X 60 degrees. If it is then there are sights being made for it.

Isn't that just great. So instead of a .330" X 65 degrees or .330" X 60 degrees (which covers about 90% of the sights in the Brownells catalog)....I find mine slide is cut to .300" X 60 degrees and every one I have spoken with says that re-cutting the slide is really not a good option because the variation is so small.

Isnt that an STI front sight cut which is .300" X .060" X 60 degrees. If it is then there are sights being made for it.

The .300X.060X 60 degree is the STI dovetail.

I used to fit normal Novak's, and Wayne would have Trijicon install the vials. That was pre 1994 though.

I know this is a hate rant, and we shouldn't be discussing stuff, but I think Kimber is also .300 wide. Anyway, we're saying that you could probably get a replacement sight if you didn't want to seek warranty work by sending in your slide.

Back on topic: :angry2:

Thats not an odd ball sight cut, that's the factory Browning Hipower, STI, a host of others. It is also Hienie's, Wilson combat's, etc etc. I also believe it is the standard front cut Novak uses when putting sights on Officer or the 380 caliber 1911 like pistols. Mike the height you should be able to get a MKIII Browning Hipower Nightsight front from any of the after market brands.

Flex... please move it to the gun smithing section.. there is good information here.

BTW all

My front cut is (according to the company that cut it) .300" X 60 degrees X .075" and they claim the front sight is .130" tall.

Thanks to all for the thoughts shared

Flex... please move it to the gun smithing section.. there is good information here.

BTW all

My front cut is (according to the company that cut it) .300" X 60 degrees X .075" and they claim the front sight is .130" tall.

Thanks to all for the thoughts shared

Those dimensions definately sound like a mongrel cut. It seems the best thing is have a Novak blank machined to fit, then send it off to Trijicon.

Sorry to hear about your frustration. The F/O front sight on my gun broke halfway throught he season this year, I measured it, and searched the net for the same sight. None, so I went to my gunsmith with a drawing on a piece of paper of the dimensions I wanted, and a slight change so it hopefully wouldn't break. 1 hour later it was done!

Michigan,

I know a great smith in your "general" area (Wisconsin).

Charlie Milazzo.

If you want me to query him about this I would be happy to.

I have NO doubt that with his skills he could find a way to fix this situation.

JK