Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coupled PMags

Rockchucker

available to us poor saps in kalifornia?

lol.. dream on....

I have been told twice over the last week, that due to some quirk on CA's laws, it is legal to purchase replacement parts for existing magazines and the parts do not have to be on an apples to apples basis. Some dealers have jumped all over this and are shipping unassembled high capacity magazines as 'replacement' kits to CA. This has apparently been going on for quite some time. I have not researched this yet, but it would seem to be an opportunity. :rolleyes:

Anyone from CA have any knowledge of this? I kow it is going on big time, but am curious as to the legality.

lol.. dream on....

I have been told twice over the last week, that due to some quirk on CA's laws, it is legal to purchase replacement parts for existing magazines and the parts do not have to be on an apples to apples basis. Some dealers have jumped all over this and are shipping unassembled high capacity magazines as 'replacement' kits to CA. This has apparently been going on for quite some time. I have not researched this yet, but it would seem to be an opportunity. :rolleyes:

Anyone from CA have any knowledge of this? I kow it is going on big time, but am curious as to the legality.

definitely testing the waters...

lol.. dream on....

Even if this is true, PMags came out after their ban so you would be ordering replacement parts for a magazine that is not supposed to be in the state. It might be a hard sell to tell people the spring in your PMag came from a legal magazine and you replaced the body and follower.

That was one of my same questions. But, I was told by several large mag vendors that the law or loophole in the law was big enough to allow replacement and the replacement did not have to be apples to apples.

And that is why I am brought this up for Californians to pipe up. It would work to their benefit if it is viable. There has been a lot of discussion on the calguns.net forum about this and as I said, a number of vendors are already selling the 'replacement' kits. We tried to get an opinion from Cal DOJ, but that was like trying to listen to the choir in a deaf school. Couldn't hear much.

lol.. dream on....

It's been going on for the longest time. Californians can purchase high capacity magazine components to repair/replace pre-ban high capacity magazines they currently own. Anything assembled new from these components is jail bait. Lots of info on www.calguns.net.

Edited by norbs007

lol.. dream on....

It's been going on for the longest time. Californians can purchase high capacity magazine components to repair/replace pre-ban high capacity magazines they currently own. Anything assembled new from these components is jail bait. Lots of info on www.calguns.net.

Yep, thats kind of the grey area. Mags aren't serial numbered, so who is to say whether it was a repair or a new new build, from what I am told. I am not advocating someone performing an illegal act, :roflol: just musing over the lunacy of CA's laws.

• 5 months later...
I use the Arrendondo couplers with 30 round Brownell magazines or stainless steel C Products mags.... However the Arrendondo's don't work with the PMags and the Buffer Technologies cinch strap isn't great either...

I was in Ralph's shop a few eeks a go and he had a coupler for Pmags on a bench. I'm not sure if he has them in production or not.