Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Appaloosa

So Hollywood finally filmed a Robert B. Parker novel --- and it wasn't a Spenser mystery. Since it was one of his recent forays into westerns, I figured that 4:30 on Saturday of the opening weekend would leave us with a near empty theater; clearly I hadn't counted on the grey hair brigade, who filled most seats in the house. :P :P

Since I was raised on Westerns, and on Robert B. Parker novels I was predisposed to like the movie --- and I did, despite the shortcomings in the villainy, leading lady, and plot departments. But then, I usually read Parker's novels for the dialogue and the relationships between protagonists and (usually good or at least admirable) bad guys --- and the movie didn't disappoint in the snappy dialogue department, or in the strange friendship between the protagonists Virgil Cole (Ed Harris) and Everett Hitch (Viggo Mortensen). If you're a fan of Parker's go see it --- it might be your only chance to see a Parker novel on the big screen....

I watched it last night. I was also raised on westerns, and I never thought that Ed Harris could pull it off (or Jeremy Irons for that matter). I thought Harris had great chemistry with Viggo Mortenson: so much was said between them by just a glance. It was worth the five bucks for me, aside from the aforementioned shortcomings I enjoyed it.

I was a little disappointed with Zellweger (sp)...I know every western has to have a female in it, but she just did not have what it takes to pull it off in my opinion...rest of it was good...when Hitch slapped him it reminded me of Tombstone when Wyatt slapped Billy Bob....

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, decent flick. I was a bit disappointed in a few things like the amazingly smokeless black powder. Yep...all that smoke screws up the cinematography but it is a point of realism that darn near every western (or pre-WWI war epic for that matter) ever filmed has missed. And I have to believe that an 8ga has a bit more recoil than was depicted. I've shot large bore black powder shotguns and while they don't have as much recoil as their smokeless brethren tend to, they aren't pussy cats as shown in this movie. But then recoil, like smoke, is an often ignored factor in movies. At least they were using brass cartridges that appeared to be about the right dimensions.

Wasn't impressed at all with Rene Z. But then I don't think she is that great of an actress. She was pretty boring even in Chicago and if it hadn't been for a smoking hot Catherine Zeta-Jones to play off of she wouldn't have even been noticed.

Jeremy Irons, Ed Harris (who directed) and Vigo Mortensen were awesome characters and I enjoyed their performances.

I'm hoping that they continue to follow up with more of Parker's works and maybe start getting some of the details right.

• 2 months later...

Just watched it. Not bad at all. Wish they would've done more with J. Irons character. Dialog is awesome. Renee was weak but her character was wicked. Ed and Viggo were excellent. Dialog was top notch.

Just watched it on DVD and I was very impressed, very good movie. I would have loved it if Rene Zelleger wasn't in the movie. There is something about her that makes my stomach turn, (she allways looks like she is smelling a fart or something.) Ed, Viggo and Jeremy were great.

Edited by danscrapbags

• 2 weeks later...

***** Possible spoilers below!

I finally got this from Netflix and unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. I thought there were huge holes in the story line, like they cut out parts to make it under 2 hours without any regard to what they were cutting. I felt they just didn't explain a lot of things.

I also thought that the gun fights/action scenes were done poorly. All of the blood was added digitally, even the bullet hole on Ring's head... which I didn't even see in regular speed, only caught it in slo-mo, was added in post.. and badly at that.

Then, after the shootout at the jail, they just cut to Virgil and Everett some time in the future... the house is all of a sudden built and they are all healed?

Overall, I felt that they spent too much time, money and consideration in trying to make it look true to the time period, and in so doing didn't pay enough attention to the story.

If there is to be a sequel, it will be called Resolution, which is the next Parker western book...read it yesterday and it would be the same kind of film...Hitch is the main character in the next one...good book, could be a great film.

• 2 weeks later...
I liked that Viggo shot from the classic dueling stance...he was supposed to be a classically trained West Pointer.

Nice touch.

I noticed that also, I also noticed that there wasnt any Hollywood quick drawing, when trouble was brewing they went ahead and got their gun in their hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the hell out of it, despite a few shortcomings

"That was fast."

"Everyone could shoot."

Definitely the best line!

(she allways looks like she is smelling a fart or something.)

Funniest damn critique i have heard of an actors performance...

I enjoyed the hell out of it, despite a few shortcomings

"That was fast."

"Everyone could shoot."

Definitely the best line!

That was indeed as good an explanation as they come

(she allways looks like she is smelling a fart or something.)

Funniest damn critique i have heard of an actors performance...

I concur... she did indeed look like crap in this one and earned a zero on the empathy meter.

• 6 months later...

Just watched it.

Pretty good movie. Some really solid parts.

Renee Zellweger...yuk. I haven't liked her in anything, less so now.

Glad she was eclipsed by the rest of the movie.

"I headed straight into the setting sun, and rode west at an easy pace. It was going to be a long ride...and there was no reason to hurry."

So this was the first thread in this sub forum the other day, and I read through the previous posts and figured that I needed to see it. I love Westerns and after watching History of Violence, I am a fan of Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen. So on my home from work tonight, I rented it.

I am very much enjoyed the movie. really good interation between all the characters. I see the reason for including Allie, or at least making the relationship between virgil and Allie so important. Provides a flaw that every great man has, and creates this interesting dynamic between Virgil and Htich.

The only thing I didnt care for was Renee. I think they could have found any actress off the street and the movie woudl ahve still carried through on its own merits.(see the hooker that Hitch shacks up with or Tilda) Another name was not needed to make me watch the movie.

Still a pretty darn good move. Thanks for starting the thread!

Matt