Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scales/Box

open17

The 2008 rulebook defines two divisions as having to "Make weight and size".

Production and Single Stack. Just curious----how often do you encounter a set of

scales or a box at a match? Personally I have NEVER encountered either one, but

then I don't shoot a lot of major matches.

Anybody seen box/scales at a match this year? Where?

I gotta ask. Why ask?

"Just curious" pretty much covers the why. I see chrono check and some fairly close

visual examination of the guns to determine division compliance. That's at the Area

level, and I did go to Nationals in Missoula last year. The box and weight rules were

put in place as division compliance tools. I don't see them being used here in the

Northwest, at least at the matches I've attended. Just wondering if it is the same

across the country.

They used the box and scale at the Production Nationals this year. The weight issue with the CZ got sorted out. Although it was fun trying to explain to Amidon that 2.6 pounds was not 38 ounces.

Chuck, Any idea where the box came from? Thinking of getting one for Dundee, just so that

those that want to check their guns can. Already have a suitable digital scale. Thinking it

might be nice to be able to check your gun before heading off to Nationals or whatever.

They used the box and scale at the Production Nationals this year. The weight issue with the CZ got sorted out. Although it was fun trying to explain to Amidon that 2.6 pounds was not 38 ounces.

Chuck, Any idea where the box came from? Thinking of getting one for Dundee, just so that

those that want to check their guns can. Already have a suitable digital scale. Thinking it

might be nice to be able to check your gun before heading off to Nationals or whatever.

Check with Steve Horsman (Steve H). His email is singlestack40@gmail.com. You really could just make one though. That's what I did. I made it from wood parts just a bit large and sanded it to the minimum dimensions.

Later,

Chuck

Just curious is the box for USPSA the same dimentions as the one that has been in use for several years in IDPA???

No. At one point it was going to be the IDPA box, supposedly because of it's cheap price

and availability. But that got changed somewhere along the line.

It's not the IDPA box

It's not the IPSC box

It's not the 1911 Society/Single Stack Classic box

It's the USPSA Production/Single Stack box.

The box is the same as the IDPA box in two of the three dimensions. The USPSA box is 3/8 of an inch longer. Therefore, you can use the IDPA box as a guideline. If it fits the IDPA box, it will fit the USPSA box.

There actually was a bit of thought given to the size of the box, although I know that some will doubt that.

I believe in short order there will be "official" USPSA boxes for sale in the USPSA store.

Gary

Chuck..

what was the issue??

just curious..

For one of the matches I put on earlier this spring, I had a tech inspection stage. I did tech inspection for two reasons, the first being to help people out for Area 1 and the second being that the match was part of the Northwest Section Championship Series and the guidelines recommended it. The tech inspection included chronograph for everyone, an IDPA box for Production and Single Stack, a scale for Single Stack (the published weights from Production were not available then), and a magazine gauge for Open, Limited and L10.

There was one Open shooter whose brand new big stick magazine didn't fit the gauge. He was disappointed about shooting the match for no score, but appreciated the heads up about his gear before getting to Area 1 and which ever other major matches he attended.

mattk

There actually was a bit of thought given to the size of the box, although I know that some will doubt that.

Gary

Gary, At one point it was going to be the IDPA box. Done deal---see below. What was the issue

that caused the box to grow a bit in one dimension?? Just wondering.

From the USPSA forums, December 2006, by the Prez:

The USPSA/IDPA box was brought into play for many of the reasons already discussed:

* To the best of our knowledge, all currently legal USPSA Production pistols fit

* The IDPA box already exists, is readily available and INEXPENSIVE

* Having one box makes sense from an ease of enforcement standpoint

* Using the IDPA box dimensions allows many shooters to compete in both sports with the same equipment

* The box is one of several criteria to be considered for approval

* Manufacturers need to know if a new pistol may be considered for approval

* The box appears to be generous in size for real world working pistols

MV

Chuck..

what was the issue??

just curious..

Do you know of an SP-01 that weighs 38 ozs? With the magazine? Mine came in at 41 oz, it's actually a bit lighter than factory spec because of the aluminum grips. The chrono guy said I was being bumped to Open. We actually had to get a Factory SP-01 from the CZ table to weigh to find out I was legal. And we shot the afternoon squad. I'm sure there must have been at least one CZ shooter in the AM. I'm not sure what they did with him/them.

Do you know of an SP-01 that weighs 38 ozs? With the magazine?

Looking at the list of Production legal pistols and their respective weights, I see at least one that is incorrect. The Sig Sauer P220RST does not weigh 30.4 ounce, it's probably in the 41-42 ounce range.

mattk

The firearm manufacturers supplied the weights for the guns to USPSA. If they are inaccurate, that can easily be corrected by actually weighing a gun, if one is available. In some cases, it doesn't seem like the factory did that at all..... :ph34r:

Getting info on guns, weights, number made, etc., is a real hassle sometimes.

Troy