Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC AIRSOFT?

JThompson

On the agenda to be voted on!!

27) Action Air

People are no longer entering shooting along the traditional pathways. If IPSC wants to expand its base, it needs to understand what motivates people, especially young people, to choose shooting from the array of other activities available to them today, and at the same time, recognize the constraints that have been imposed on recreational shooting over the years.

With increased urbanization comes the loss of land available for shooting ranges. This creates additional travel time to shooting ranges, adding time pressures to already busy schedules. Fewer and farther ranges mean less actual range time.

Surveys confirm that it was fathers or friends that got most shooters initially started in shooting. The data also shows that non-shooters contemplating recreational shooting are concerned about not having convenient access to places to shoot and that they want a safe, controlled environment to overcome the initial apprehensions of maybe doing something wrong.

Much like training wheels on a bicycle, Action Air provides a safe, controlled, home environment that can enable and provide helpful teaching, training, and mentoring. Reinforcing safety, safe gun handling, and honing fundamental skills at home will increase the quality of the actual range time, decreasing those initial apprehensions, and building interest.

Furthermore, there are reduced costs to get a person started in shooting. Action Air gives the beginning shooter (and family members) an opportunity to become interested and involved in shooting without the initial costs becoming a burdensome factor.

Many Regions have extended waiting periods for handgun licensing and permits. Action Air would allow these future members the opportunity to practice and shoot while waiting. People today, young and old, have become accustomed to immediate gratification with television and the Internet. They aren't used to waiting. Action Air allows for the interest and enthusiasm in shooting now, not a year down the road.

Action Air matches would provide an excellent environment to develop competitive skills, far less daunting than jumping into competition for the first time with a handgun. Action Air shooters can make the mistakes and enhance their skills before taking the next step.

Action Air shooters can be further hooked by introducing a Crossover Proficiency Test. This will allow Action Air shooters to participate in IPSC handgun matches following the successful completion of a live fire Crossover Proficiency Test.

Action Air provides a safe, controlled, convenient environment for the introduction to IPSC shooting, making it an overall part of the strategic plan to recruit and retain new shooters. Recognizing Action Air as an actual IPSC discipline legitimizes it and allows for the organization on the Regional level under the overall supervision of the IPSC General Assembly.

Action Air can be one of the biggest recruitment tools of new shooters entering IPSC competition because it meets the needs of the new shooter and fits in with today's world of less, free and more structured, time.

37. Motion

That the provisional Action Air Rule Book be updated to the 2009 Handgun Rules and be provisionally accepted for one year.

Moved

Seconded

Carried___

Denied___

....IMHO allowing airsoft or wax bullets as the cowboy shooters have just gives fuel to those who want to ban lead and/or shut us down all together....

People who have that agenda don't need an airsoft argument to help them along (they were doing it before airsoft ever existed).

Conversely, most airsoft shooters:

- Transition to real-steel when they have the opportunity.

- Wish they could.

More shooters = more acceptance = more people on "our side" of the political fence.

The potential to grow the sport FAR outweighs any downside. Airsoft IPSC/USPSA events ALREADY take place, and already try to emulate IPSC/USPSA events. This proposal won't change that, but it will open the possibility of a single body to manage and promote the sport.

The idea of leagues and matches in urban/suburban settings should be very appealing. Matches could be held more often, with setup and shooting costs being much lower. More matches = more income.

I've gotten back nto shooting USPSA this year, after many years off. I'm now shooting airsoft, for many of the reasons mentioned in the proposal (cost, availability of places to shoot, close duplication of "the real thing").

Airsoft also opens a much wider door than sub-minor ammo in real guns (such as .22LR events). Any place you can safely run a .22 event, you can run a "real" event.

Man, I've heard a lot of ridiculous things this week.

If you wanna 'play' with toy guns, be my guest.

If you wanna 'play' with paint ball toys, be my guest.

If you wanna use bb guns, .22's, laser, simunitions, whatever, knock yourself out.

Just don't try to do it under the International Practical Shooting Confederation. It ain't practical and it ain't shooting.

Give an inch and they'll take a mile!

You know what ? Acually go ahead, it's the airsoft guys that should be upset about

this proposal. Remember those bubble gum cigaretts years ago that got banned

because they were a way to entice "children" to the real thing later on ? :P

Well thats the argument thats going to be made later on when IPSC is accused of

attracting young people to shoot man sized targets with simulation toys. Then they

will ban Airsoft and any other toys that shoot a projectile and we'll be back to where

we started from. Problem solved. Although ? what about all that other side attention that

IPSC will attract ?? :o The scrutiny? Oh my ? Mabey they will just want to ban "Combat

Simulation" all together ?? :o

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

Oh my ? Mabey they will just want to ban "Combat

Simulation" all together ?? :o

Well then, at least we could get Electronic Arts, Activision, Blizzard, Rockstar Games, Valve et al on our side.

No! For some twisted (insert political here) reason blowing a head off, conducting a crime, or having intercoarse in a video game is perfectly "normal" entertainment ??? Shooting an NRA bullsey target standing at 25m is an unhealthy, distructive

activity which promotes violence ??? :wacko::wacko:

If you wanna use bb guns, .22's, laser, simunitions, whatever, knock yourself out.

Just don't try to do it under the International Practical Shooting Confederation. It ain't practical and it ain't shooting.

Well, remember that some countries have already 100% banned handguns but there's still people in those countries

interested in the sport. Basically it leaves Airsoft as their only recourse other than packing up and moving to another

country.

Should the International Practical Shooting Confederation just say tough and ignore these people?

WELL SAID!

Well, remember that some countries have already 100% banned handguns but there's still people in those countries

interested in the sport. Basically it leaves Airsoft as their only recourse other than packing up and moving to another

country.

Should the International Practical Shooting Confederation just say tough and ignore these people?

YES!!

It isn't practical shooting. I certainly feel sorry for countries in those situations, but don't blame IPSC because you can't shoot it there.

Start up a new organization to govern it.

Should IPSC govern paintball?...darts?....horseshoes? Where does it end?

I agree with vluc and Smitty.

You live where you cannot own a firearm or shoot one let alone run an actual match, then join IPSC as a foreign member of some other region, travel there and shoot.

At home start your own Airsoft shooting association, do it along the same lines as IPSC, but it just ain't IPSC

Jim