"guy" Movies

Vince Pinto

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy....here we go...no particular order:

Pulp Fiction

Dogs of War (Christopher Walken debuts his truly dark side)

Das Boat (the original German version with subtitles...thank you)

Tora Tora Tora

Midway

Bridge on the River Kwai (probably my #1)

Longest Day

Flying Leathernecks

American Pie (and one summer, at band camp...)

Patton

And a BUNCH more.

Yes, there are a bunch of oldies in there. They don't make decent guy movies often anymore. Many of those movies are older than I am.

I'll chalk up another vote for

The Man Who Would Be King

and

Jeremiah Johnson

and add a vote for the 1952 movie "The Wild North" with Stewart Granger and Wendell Corey.

And let us not forget Kevin Costner's tribute to male egotism, Tin Cup.

And I just saw "First Knight" (Connery, Gere) again on AXN and that is definitely another "guy" movie.

Duty, honour, courage, a really hot chick B)

Not to mention excellence in the martial arts.

Here are some of my fav "guy" movies in no particular order...

- John Woo's "A Better Tomorrow"

- Matrix

- Saving Private Ryan

- Way of the Gun

- Heat

- Bad Boys

- Live and Let Die

- Die Hard

- Field of Dreams

- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly :)

- Band of Brothers

Some of you guys are missing an essential element of Guy Movies: chicks don't dig 'em. That pretty much covers most of your action, martial arts, western, sci-fi, and war movies.

Blazing Saddles

Young Frankenstein and all other Mel Brooks movies

Dumb and Dumber

Something About Mary

Bound

The Man Who Would Be King

The Wild Bunch and all Peckinpah movies

The Magnificent Seven

The Road Warrior

Terminator (by the director of chick-flick Titanic, no less!)

Reservoir Dogs and all Tarantino movies

Way of the Gun

Goodfellas and all Scorsese movies

The Thing and all John Carpenter movies

Some of you guys are missing an essential element of Guy Movies: chicks don't dig 'em.

Married with Children:

Marcy derides Al's favorite program, Psycho Dad, because it had 75 shootings in the first 5 minutes.

Al's reply was "A man's got to reload." :lol:

BE

:blink: can't believe my eyes again! :blink:

Did you mention "Trinity is Still My Name", that spaghetti western with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer?

I thought those (enjoyable) movies were only known to italian people: never realized they crossed the ocean.

BTW, I still have a lot of fun when watching it (for the zillionest time, as all other Hill/Spencer movies) on TV. ;)

One final word about the list: I am guilty of having forgotten one of the best action films that can be poetic at the same time: LEON by Luc Besson (I think it is the same "The Professional" L2S reported, but I'm not sure about its title in the U.S.).

It's a rarely perfect movie: along with a tragic story goes that wonderful, almost poetic, description of a rude man being teached and educated by that young girl, who eventually is the cause of Leon's death.

And Jean Reno characterizing of Leon is really incredible. :blink:

I wonder why our French friends didn't mention a French movie, by a French Director, with an (almost) French actor? (must have been this latter part to upset them) :D

Skywalker,

Yea, "Still My Name" is one of the funniest movies of all times! The first time I watched it with my girl - I don't think I've ever seen anyone laugh so much at any movie, ever.

"How's little windy?"

"Why, if everyone was as generous as you..."

"The kid 'id be an alcoholic."

"If everyone was as generous as you..."

"You'd let yourself be robbed from morning till night."

And Erik,

Some of you guys are missing an essential element of Guy Movies: chicks don't dig 'em.

As I was typing my list, that was a major part of my criteria. But since my girl can quote pretty much the entire script of Blazing Saddles, and regularly speeds to her favorite scenes on the DVD, maybe the criteria should be "most chicks..."?

;)

Skywalker,

Yea, "Still My Name" is one of the funniest movies of all times! The first time I  watched it with my girl - I don't think I've ever seen anyone laugh so much at any movie, ever.

The dinner scene was so gross, I bet they had a blast making it.

A movie that no-one has mentioned is the 1964 film “Zulu”. It recounts the battle of Rorke’s Drift where about 100 British soldiers held off an attack by 4000 Zulus that had decimated the main British column of 1200 men. There were 11 Victoria Crosses awarded for this engagement. It has all the ingredients of a “guy” movie and my wife usually sleeps through it.

My favorite Stupid videos Are

1. They Call Me Bruce

2. Dumb and Dumber

3. Ace Ventura, Pet Detective

4. Any IDPA Training video

5. The Quick and The Dead (With Sharon Stone)

6. Honeymoon in Vegas

7. Deuce Bigalow, Male Gigalo

8. No Retreat, No surrender (John Claude VanDumb)

9. Smokey and The Bandit

10.Escape from L.A.

Deuce Bigalow, that's a good one! Same for Kingpin. Ever notice how women tend to like the Austin Powers movies even though they are at least as dumb as these?

benos, I'm talking generally. I know a woman who can quote from Saddles, Lebowski, and O Brother. (But she's married.) Most of them just look at you funny when you say, "We gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes!"

A movie that no-one has mentioned is the 1964 film “Zulu”. It recounts the battle of Rorke’s Drift where about 100 British soldiers held off an attack by  4000 Zulus that had decimated the main British column of 1200 men. There were 11 Victoria Crosses awarded for this engagement.

Totally forgot about this one. Great depiction of one the most awesome small unit actions in history. Michael Caine does some of the best work in his career, and his career had just barely begun. I will put this one right up there with "The Man Who Would Be King" as one of the all time great "guy movies".

Do not confuse this Zulu with the later film Zulu Dawn (1979). They are not in the same league.

Regards,

Alright, Guys, I've liked them all save one. "First Knight"???<_<

Liota

Twould appear that we don't count! Of course, we can really get 'em with this thought...

If we like all of their movies, they're not GUY movies anymore <EVIL LAUGH>

A movie that no-one has mentioned is the 1964 film “Zulu”. It recounts the battle of Rorke’s Drift where about 100 British soldiers held off an attack by  4000 Zulus that had decimated the main British column of 1200 men. There were 11 Victoria Crosses awarded for this engagement.

Totally forgot about this one. Great depiction of one the most awesome small unit actions in history. Michael Caine does some of the best work in his career, and his career had just barely begun.

I saw Michael Caine interviewed on Parkinson and he recounted his surprise at being selected to play the part of a foppish British Officer when he was actually "a little cockney git". There was also a fine performance by Nigel Green in the role of Colour Sgt Bourne.