Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canted optics mount on an open gun

Desk_jockey

Some guys in my USPSA club shoot open guns that have a canted sight mount. Sort of like a standard mount turned backwards and bent upwards 45 degrees i.e the sight sits to the left of the top of the slide on a 45 degree angle. Glass is still over the bore axis but it seems to give more clearance for the ejection port and racking the slide.

I have forgotten to ask who makes it at teh last 3 matches and can't find it on the internet.

(I am a production newbie drooling over open guns so sorry if this is old news)

How do you adjust the C-More when its on the mount???

jj

Usually while cussing. :rolleyes:

Derek at MC does flip the adjustment screws on C-mores. The other issue is your X-Y axis is rotated about 30 degrees so it will take a couple more tries to get it zeroed.

I put one on my Open gun recently and it wasn't hard to sight in at all, really no worse than a standard C-more. I didn't reverse the controls, I just took an allen wrench and cut it down, then put a hollow ground screwdriver tip on it and it works nicely. Popping the top end off to make an adjustment isn't a big deal, just put the paperclip in the guiderod, pull the slide stop and 5 seconds later the top end is laying on the bench, just a couple seconds and it is back on the gun and ready to shoot. So far I like the mount a lot, well once I shot a couple matches with it and stopped whacking the end of my thumb on the end of the scope during the draw I like it LOL. I can run just horrendously beat up brass with zero issues, something that just isn't possible with a typical scope mount.

I love mine (I have two). I'm a lefty so my slide rackers stick out the right side of the gun anyway. I flopped the left/right adjustment screw myself without too much hassle. It really isn't all that hard. Mine both came directly from Barry because I wanted unanodized silver ones.

• 4 weeks later...
So far I like the mount a lot, well once I shot a couple matches with it and stopped whacking the end of my thumb on the end of the scope during the draw I like it LOL.

I put a Barry mount on my Open gun Friday, shot a match on Saturday. Banged my thumb a couple of times on the draw, but by the end of the match, no problem. The C-more sitting on the left was a little distracting at first, but again by the end of the match it was no problem. I have an aluminum C-more and because it is demsionaly a little different than a polymer I was a little worried, but it fit fine without any modification. The only real negative was that racking the slide is a little harder, I'll need to practice it a bit. I'd put on a slide racker, but hate to cut the hard chrome finnish.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it makes switching between Open and Limited (Iron Sights) a whole lot easier. The dot is almost in the same place as the sights would be. With a regular mount I find myself looking all over for the dot until I get used to it. Then I have to retrain for iron, no such problem with Barry's mount.

Jim

• 2 years later...

Sorry for waking a dead thread, but I have to ask...I just put one of these Barry mounts on my Tanfoglio Gold Team (v12), and I found that after a mag thru the gun, I can hardly see thru the lens.......what are you guys using for a "Blast shield"?

Thanks!

Tim

I highly recommend the Barry mount. A small screwdriver and a cut down allen wrench are all I need for adjustment. Make sure you grip the screwdriver towards the top of the handle.

I have one on my V12 Tanfoglio Gold Team and do not use a blast shield and don't have any issues with seeing through it. Worst case scenario, I wipe the front of the lens with a cotton t-shirt before the next stage. I usually use Atlanta Arms Major Power Factor .38 Supercomp. There minor power factor is a lot dirtier, but still no real issue in my opinion.

Zack

Sorry for waking a dead thread, but I have to ask...I just put one of these Barry mounts on my Tanfoglio Gold Team (v12), and I found that after a mag thru the gun, I can hardly see thru the lens.......what are you guys using for a "Blast shield"?

Thanks!

Tim

Go to your local mega mart or big box pharmacy store and get a 100 or 200 pack of alcohol wipes. Put a handful in a ziplock bag and keep them in your shooting bag.

Wipe the lens after every stage.

What advantages/ disadvantages are there to using the conventional method to the 90 degree?

90 degree mount keeps the dot closer to the slide so it's easier to transition from an iron sighted gun to an open gun. I've heard they take a little more effort to zero and some people don't like the base of sight blocking the left side of the gun.

I have tried the standard and the canted mounts on both my open guns, several times. Pain in the ass going back and forth but worth the effort. It turns out that no matter how much I shoot the canted is more accurate. My standard mounts sit on the shelf now, try them both,find whats best. I like the cameron mounts, really slick.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

Tim

The earlier mounts did not take into account barrel holes. The Quinn II does. It sits farther back. I have long fingers and the position has never interfered with my grip or draw. I have barrel holes on both guns and clean the lens about every 150 or so rounds.