Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I really like American Handgunner and Guns magazine. I think they are both published by the same outfit. They seem to be the best out there. I especially like the pictures. Other magazines do not have as good pics, and often times has less content that the two aforementioned magazines.

Guns & Ammo's Handguns, and American Handgunner top my list of handgun oriented magazines.

My subscription to Harris publications Combat Handguns may not get renewed by me. But most issues have at least a good story about a specific handgun, that would be suitable for Revolver, Production, L10, SSP, CDP or whatever.

In general interest gun magazines, I like NRA's Shooting Illustrated, and American Rifleman. Thier handgun articles are normally well written, with good technical details about the gun(s)

As a member of USPSA, I look forward to Front Sight.

I take Small Arms Review. Not really any info about shooting sports, but I like old collectables and stuff. They usually have info about some pretty off the wall stuff. Not everyone's cup of tea. I like Front Sight too. Most of the 'big' magazines start to read like paid advertisements after a while. I still pick one up every now and then.

Lately, just Front Sight. I used to really like GunGames and American Handgunner back when they had articles on competition guns. Not just IPSC either...Masters, Silhouette, Free Pistol (great article on the Hammerli 162 back in the day). Now all the mags seem to cater to the tactibilly mall ninja set and no one else. Outside the occasional article (usually written by members of this forum), the state of gun mags generally sucks big time.

Outside the occasional article (usually written by members of this forum), the state of gun mags generally sucks big time.

That's kind of my feeling right now. I just hoped that there was something I was missing. It seems rather strange that competition shooting is on the rise but there is very little of it reflected in general circulation magazines.

Outside the occasional article (usually written by members of this forum), the state of gun mags generally sucks big time.

That's kind of my feeling right now. I just hoped that there was something I was missing. It seems rather strange that competition shooting is on the rise but there is very little of it reflected in general circulation magazines.

+3. Front Sight when I can get my hands on one and mag's with Sweeney's articles in it. That's pretty much it.

The USA today model has ruined most print media! Pictures with catch lines. Seems the average American attention span is 30 seconds. The length of a TV commerical.

Precision Shooting, Shotgun News, Small Arms review. These have real articles that increase my knowledge of shooting in all areas.

American Handgunner, is a Toilet flipper, said to say So has Popular Science.

How is Gun Test?????

I am with Mark and SAFriday here. Not much of worth outside of FrontSight and maybe Small Arms Review once in a while.

RE Guntest: right idea. Poor execution. They obviously don't shoot any of the pistol sports & are fairly ignorant as far as gunwriters go.

The nice thing about Gun Tests is no advertisers trying to pedal junk. Having said that, they test pretty much everything, not just pistols. American Handgunner is a good gun rag. But, even if you are not a USPSA member, Front Sight is worth the subscription price. (member fees) I have read nearly all of the gun magazines over the years, and nearly all of them become redundant at some point. I do miss Gun Games! Am I showing any age? B)

My favorite is GunTests. I like how they really pick everything to pieces. As far as any others go, I like reading Taffin, Bart Skelton. And John Connor just cracks me up. Dunno if the guy is for real or not, but he's entertaining. But if I were deciding what gun to buy, I'd read GT for sure.

Shotgun News and Gun digest hold my insterest the most, and what ever is in walmart and the grocery store, but the last couple years when the Handgunner has put out their gun catalog of the coming year, you have to take it with a grain of salt, they will list guns that ARE NOT going to be for sale because the manufacture is not makeing them, like the S.A. 40S&W in 1911 format that they have had listed for years, that S.A. still has not made, except for a very short run about 5 years ago :angry2: , although they could make major bucks if they would put it in high-cap 1911.

I haven't read American Handgunner in ages. I find it mostly full of drivel by self-described "experts" and the magazine sucking up to their advertisers (especially when they review a product that doesn't work as advertised but they give it a glowing review anyway). The one redeeming feature are the cool Yamil pictures.