Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

coil vs. flat wire springs in glocks

MAN - GA

I have just started experimenting with changing recoil springs in my G17. The first combination I chose was the Wolff 14lb recoil spring and reduced power striker spring (4lb). As I have done more research I hear that glocks were made to run on flat wire springs and using round wire springs is not a good idea and on the other hand I read info saying some of the glock team members are shooting round wire springs. Maybe all this is really trivial and both work just fine. Comments & suggestions welcome.....

(The Wolff setup I chose was on the Wolff guide rod)

Stock springs throughout my Glocks. I can remember the last problem I had with my Glocks too, my G22 failed to feed one time in the first box of ammo and that is the last time I had a problem. Tens of thousands of rounds later through 5 guns they just keep running perfectly. Almost all of the Glocks I see at a match will puke at least once in 100 rounds and I would bet that 99%+ of them that do puke running mediocre or better ammo do it because of improper springing. I am not a fan of dinking around with a Glock.

Well, I'm in a different camp than Flex and HSMITH. Not that I disregard their opinion (it's quite valid), but I have tinkered with my springs and guns and they run 100%. It can be done, but you have to know what you are getting into and do it in moderation. All gun barfs so far have been operator error.

I prefer the ISMI flat springs over the Wolfe round springs. They both work, but the ISMI springs seem to last a lot longer.

Edited by SA Friday

Like all recoil operated guns that rely on springs, it's a balance that will have to be worked out. When you start reducing the striker spring weight to get a lighter pull, you are also running the risk of light strikes (mis-fires) and possibly a slower trigger return.

If you are just talking about the recoil spring, you can go flat or round. You need to choose a guide rod that will be the right diameter. The flat wire springs will need a rod that will be sized the same as the stock plastic rod. Do a search on this, but most people will run a lower # weight. (i.e. Stock weight is 17#, but I run a 13# in a G35).

I use 13# IMSI springs in in my competition G34 and 17, but use the Wolff 21# round wire springs in my G20 (22#) and 29 (21#). The 19 and 27 stay with Glock OEM.

Works for me. Sorta like the three bears: softer loads, hotter loads, and just right :roflol:

Curtis

I'm sure they all work fine like Flex said, but I switched mine out to Wolff's. Shooting minor, I wanted a lighter recoil spring. Also, Dave Sevigny changed his recoil spring to a Wolff, that says something to me. I don't know if anyone has more time on Glocks than Dave and him being a Glock sponsored shooter, it makes you think.

When I took a class with Dave, he said he liked the Wolff spring and rod. He was using a 12lb recoil spring and had just begun trying the 14lb spring. I have to say that I like the cycling of the Wolff over the flat wire in Glocks.

When I shot my Glock, I had 110% reliablility, I can't imagine something being more reliable. My MP is quickly approaching though, its been VERY reliable.

But this is a personal decision and what feels good to one, may not to the other.

I used to use ISMI 13 lb. springs with 3 coils clipped, as well as Wolff 12 and 14 lb. springs. I seem to have standardized on the Wolff 14s now. The 12s and 13s require monitoring to prevent an out of battery detonation as they age, the 14s seem to last longer, and I like the cycling of the gun better --- but that's all pretty subjective. Try different springs, see what feels right to you, and don't be surprised when that changes over time....

I'm running a stock weight Wolff spring in my 34 and I've compared it to a 13lb ISMI flat spring and they feel about the same weight in the gun. Do the Wolff springs run light? The Wolff spring has probably 3-4000 rounds through it and the ISMI 13lb spring is brand new.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have just started experimenting with changing recoil springs in my G17. The first combination I chose was the Wolff 14lb recoil spring and reduced power striker spring (4lb). As I have done more research I hear that glocks were made to run on flat wire springs and using round wire springs is not a good idea and on the other hand I read info saying some of the glock team members are shooting round wire springs. Maybe all this is really trivial and both work just fine. Comments & suggestions welcome.....

(The Wolff setup I chose was on the Wolff guide rod)

My original Glock 35 setup was with a round wire 15lb Wolff spring on a tungsten guide rod and I loved it. My current Glock 35's are running flat wire 15lb ISMI springs and I don't care for them. I like round wire better. Running a stainless gr on the production 35 and a tungsten on my limited Glock 35. My perception is that the recoil was less with the round spring than the flat spring. I never had any cycling, feeding, etc. problems with my round wire spring. I've had several issues with my current setups, but I can't say if its because of the springs or not.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by ShaunH

• 2 weeks later...

I am using a Flat spring with a Tungsten rod. And now after a couple thousand rounds it is actually starting to wear the front of the rod. Even with some polishing, the flat spring is biting the rod as the slide first engages upon recoil. I would imagine the round wire would have less drag, and be more suitable for non OEM SS and Tungsten rods.

Edited by Brian Dean

• 4 weeks later...

Who sells tungsten guide rods?

Rumor has it that the guiderods designed for the Glock 17, has identical dimensions to those for the M&P 4.25, and PRO/9L (same spring).

Everything I'm, seeing is around $55 for ther tungsten. Anyone beating this?

JW

• 1 year later...

I am no expert an anything, but will recommend that you bear in mind that human nature has us recommend what we like, what we've heard and believe, etc. Also, a person who's mind is already made up that something will not help or make a difference will find that he is right about 99% of the time.

I built my first open-class glock back in 1995 because someone told me that I couldn't do it. Back then all that existed was Accumatch barrels with their heavy little two-port comps. Over the years I built several, all of which are gone except for one built on a model 23 with a LoneWolf barrel/comp and an original FirePoint sight on the slide. As a reference, this pistol has a reduced-power striker spring (Glockworx) along with an old, extremely light Lightening Strike titanium striker and has never had a failure to fire due to a light strike. It also has a Glockworx 3.5lb connector and their heavy trigger spring.

I have used Wolf and ISMI recoil springs and in my experience the ISMI works better for me. They seem to hold the lockup better, working more like the factory springs, but that is my perception alone. Nothing is as good as the factory springs, and I wish more than anything that whoever manufactures the factory recoil springs for Glock would market them in different spring weights. Also, because there is no hammer to hold the locked up when rounds are fired, I've never used any of the super-light spring some folks use. Okay, I should say I've never used less than a 14lb recoil spring with 100% reliability in a Glock pistol.

The only other thing is that though I've used metal guide rods and know that they work, I began only using an aftermarket guide rod that is made of a polymer much like that factory rod. This is because looking into the designed functionality of Glock pistols, part of this design is for the guide rods to flex as the pistol cycles. I don't know how critical this is since again, metal ones appear to work fine as well. But, the metal ones I had wouldn't work with ISMI springs, so I got this thin, polymer one.

Anyway, just my observations, thoughts and opinions. I hope that assist someone.

I've got a little over 58k combined through my Glock 17 and 34, the vast majority of those fired on ISMI 13-pound recoil springs, without a single problem. Having said that, I did recently switch to the Wolff guide rod and Wolff 14-pound recoil spring simply because the gun seems to cycle more smoothly, thus be more manageable in rapid fire, to me with the round wire springs over the flat springs. YMM however, may V.

I have several Glocks with both ISMI and Wolff recoil springs, all with steel guide rods. I use a 14 pound Wolff in both my G17 and 34 production guns. My G35 Limited Glock has a 16 lb Wolff recoil spring. The two open Glocks (17 and 34) in 9 major have 13 lb ISMI recoil springs. All of the guns have Vanek triggers with a lighter 4 lb striker spring and an extra power trigger spring. I run Lightning Strike lightened steel strikers in all but the G35. I am experimenting with a titanium striker in it. So far, so good, but the trigger feel is certainly different. All run just fine for IPSC/USPSA with good ammo. I worked up loads for each and stuck with what works. Finding what works ammo wise and sticking with it is the key. As far as feel, I think the Wolff is probably slightly smoother, but that may just be my perception. Both work for my needs. It is all up to what you like and what works. As an aside, I've found that I use a 1 lb heavier Wolff than I would with ISMI for the same application.

But, the metal ones I had wouldn't work with ISMI springs, so I got this thin, polymer one.

There are plenty of narrow steel guide rods in the world that will accept ISMI springs, available, among other places, from ISMI:

http://www.cpwsa.com/ISMI_Products.htm

True, I'm aware of them, and if I was going to use a steel rod the ISMI wouold be the one I'd use. But since the polymer ones work fine and seem to work more akin to the original Glock guide rod functionality, I just stuck with them. If I could see a definite advantage to a steel one I'd use it, but since I've used both in the past and found no benefit for me personally, again, I just stick with what I'm using. I know that others may indeed find the extra weight of the steel rod to be beneficial, I just wasn't one of those folks.

DVC