Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help from Single Stack Classic and IDPA shooters

Bruce Warren

I am building my idea of the perfect Single Stack Classic / IDPA/ limited prize gun for the Louisiana Gator Classic. It has everything you NEED and nothing you don't. My questions is--- Do shooters feel that a fiber optice front sight is important enough to add to this gun. My thinking is a standard black front sight would be best but I want to hear for the shooters who know best.

http://www.southernshootingcenter.com/la-gator.htm

Thanks in advance for your imput.

Edited by Bruce Warren

Bruce,i would include both ,since most front sight today are a dovetail design,and that would cost between $26. to $40...my main CDP has a fiber optic,and the other 2 have nite sights.. :rolleyes:

prefer a fiber optic front sight because I have them on all my game guns. When I got my new gun that didn't have a fiber optic, it was a chore to find the front sight. Because I had always shot and trained with one.

I couldn't find any negative reason why I would not suggest one.

Thank all of you for your responses. The rear sight will be a Heinie slant pro with no inserts. I have several front sights on hand and I'll fit the one the that fits the bill.

By the way, does anyone know what TGO uses? What does the Army team use?

Keep Shootin'

Bruce Warren

Edited by Bruce Warren

Thank all of you for your responses. The rear sight will be a Heinie slant pro with no inserts. I have several front sights on hand and I'll fit the one the that fits the bill.

By the way, does anyone know what TGO uses? What does the Army team use?

Keep Shootin'

Bruce Warren

I think TGO is using a FO and I know most of the Army guys use black.

I use a black sight.

I use FO front with black rears on all my guns now. I used a black front sight on my 1911 for quite a while but recently switched to FO. I find the FO sight easier to find in most conditions.

Red Fiber front, black rear seems to work best for me. I like the tritium front sights too but I recently found out the hard way that they don't show up too well on white painted plates. :blush:

That gun now has an EGW red FO front sight too.

Hi-viz green FO insert front. Flat black bomar rear.

Todd J. told me smaller the better for the front FO (he was right). Large wont matter for close in targets, but if you get something 25 yards, a large front FO will overpower what you need to see.

I run the same sight set-up on all my match and carry handguns. Some kind of plain black rear blade and a black front sight, slightly ramped with a tritium insert and white ring combo. The white ring is easy to see in daylight and the tritium front is all you need for IDPA low light events.

I don't like the way fiber optic front sights change in apperence depending on the amount of avaliable light.

Tim

Edited by T Bacus

skinny black front, some kinda competition/combat style fixed rear, i think mines a mcormick(sp?), heinies are nice. takes some work to get it adjusted, file the front sight for elevation, etc, but once it's right, it never breaks like a bomar. you can't screw around with loads alot, though.......

Thank you all for helping me out. As I said, I am installing a Heinie Slant Pro (plain) rear. I have both Dawson and HiViz on hand. I have a personal preference for the HiViz. Being able to change size and color easily make a strong case for it.

Besides, Bud Bond was a good friend and he set me on to them. I also like the .100 Dawson and have used them on some other prize guns I have built.

Are any of you planning on attending the Gator Classic in October?

Keep Shootin'

Bruce Warren

I wasn't going to say this, but as a joke (perhaps it's funny, cause it's true)

1911 means old guys...better give them a fiber optic. :P:D

The Dawson will be preferred by competition shooters, instead of the HiViz.