Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small rifle primers

B.Reid

I don't know about the rest of you but I've had a problem locating WSR primers which is what I use in my Limited, Open and AR setups. Therefore I'm gonna have to consider another brand. Federal, CCI, etc. I would like to know what some of you are now using and how they compare to the Winchesters. Thanks.

I've been using Federal Small Rifle primers for .40, Super, and .223 and never had a problem with them (since '95). The Federal primers are considered the easiest to ignite (I believe the CCI are among the hardest).

Wolff, but I had to change to a 17lb hammer spring in my STI, but the old one wouldn't work w/any SRP. BTW, changing to Wolff primers has lowered the standard deviation on a few friends loads.

Jason

I've had no problems with Wolf SRP's in either of my .40 single stacks or my STI hi-cap. As mentioned above, I have noticed a reduction is deviation for some loads.

Wolf SRP's are had to find now, too, unfortunately. I think Widener's is the last place to still have some of these primers in stock.

I've been using Federal Small Rifle primers for .40, Super, and .223 and never had a problem with them (since '95). The Federal primers are considered the easiest to ignite (I believe the CCI are among the hardest).

The #205's?

And for the wolf users has any one tired the WOLF SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMERS?

Randal

The #205's?

Yes. 205 is the Federal Small Rifle primer.

i just got back from the local gun shop during my lunch hour and picked up a hundred each of cci and federal small rifle primers. i will have them tested over the weekend to see if they produce not only the same velocity but they need to be accurate as well.

I just bought 10,000 WSR primers a week ago from my local shop. Are they really that hard to find?

RE:Wolf... A friend of mine called them to see what they would recommend for our game. They stated that the small rifle magnum would be the best if you want a slightly harder cup as there is no difference between the cups on SP and SR regular primers.

there is no difference between the cups on SP and SR regular primers.

what about the amount of explosives? Rifle primers are supposed to be hotter giving you 50-100 feet more per second.

Don't know who told you that. According to Winchester tech support there is no difference at all in the amount of explosive between rifle and pistol primers. The cup is harder on the rifle primer to prevent slam fires on military rifles that are prone to it. Thats it. There will always be lot ot lot variations, though.

I've tested wsp, wsr, wspm primers. I don't have the numbers in front of me but the rifle was about 1-2 pf hotter than the pistol in minor loads and the magnum primers were about 3-4 pf higher than the pistol. The magnum primers were about 3-4 pf higher than rifle primers in major loads using very slow (sp2, 3n38, n105) powders.

BTW, you can make major in 9mm in a shorty with poppleholes using n105, 125 gr bullets, and magnum primers. They were a b*tch to load without slinging powder all over the place and it honestly didn't feel as good as 3n38 or sp2 at the same pf.

I've tested wsp, wsr, wspm primers. I don't have the numbers in front of me but the rifle was about 1-2 pf hotter than the pistol in minor loads

Considering how much measurement error there is in consumer chronos and the additional lot to lot variation of the primers, this is not a significant difference.

So I went to the range today to do some testing and I was surprised to find the results weren't what I had expected.

I tested the exact same loads with four different primers.

Load data

9mm

1.155 OAL

7.9gr 3n37

124gr jhp Montana Gold

Primers used in this experiment.

Winchester Small Rifle

Winchester Small Pistol

Federal Small Rifle

CCI Small Rifle

All three rifle primers were between 166 and 167 power factor. I shot three round average three times for each primer for a total of nine rounds. The small pistol primers came out to 165 to 166 power factor, not really a big difference.

Then I decided to perform a group test and that is where I didn't think the small pistol primers would be better than all the rifle primers. Take a look at the attached pic. The top row is WSR, the second row is WSP, the third row is FED SR and the fourth row is CCI SR.

I think I may be using small pistol because it's giving me the best group. All shots were fired from and block of wood and a sand bag, perhaps a ransom rest would have done better. The distance was 20 yards and five shot groups except for the bottom row middle group where I bumped fired and shot just above the "A" <_<

post-1230-1214705920.jpg

Edited by Thomas Moore