Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any major drawbacks to the Caspian hicaps vs S_I?

bofe954

I am currently shooting SS and plan on continuing, but I have been debating picking up a limited gun. I'd get a .40 which would save me a few bucks on ammo vs my .45, and I think it might help me work on moving my feet a little more when I shoot if I have less reloads and can make up a shot or two if I miss. Also it would open some informal matches to me that favor higher capacity guns.

I really like the Caspian frames and would like a double stack like this - http://www.lesbaer.com/HC40.html

I'd probably try and find someone to build one as I'd like some sort of stainless finish, and the Baer seems a little pricey to me, although calling gunsmiths may change my mind about what is pricey and what is not...

Any big drawbacks to the Caspian framed guns?

I realize that there are no reliability/longevity issues with S_I stuff, I'd just like a steel gun for no real rational reason...

I am currently shooting SS and plan on continuing, but I have been debating picking up a limited gun. I'd get a .40 which would save me a few bucks on ammo vs my .45, and I think it might help me work on moving my feet a little more when I shoot if I have less reloads and can make up a shot or two if I miss. Also it would open some informal matches to me that favor higher capacity guns.

I really like the Caspian frames and would like a double stack like this - http://www.lesbaer.com/HC40.html

I'd probably try and find someone to build one as I'd like some sort of stainless finish, and the Baer seems a little pricey to me, although calling gunsmiths may change my mind about what is pricey and what is not...

Any big drawbacks to the Caspian framed guns?

I realize that there are no reliability/longevity issues with S_I stuff, I'd just like a steel gun for no real rational reason...

The Caspain is a great platform now that there are good mags.

Caspian makes a great frame, alot of people were upset with Caspian , many felt abandoned when Capsian couldnt or wouldnt supply magazines. Magazines seem to be available for now. Dont forget about Para's either. All three platforms can be found here in the classifieds just gotta keep your eyes open for the deals.

Weight, mag capacity and cost are the only downsides. The cost is similar to an S_I until you get some traction on the front strap, checkering is very expensive and tape is cheesy. The frames are heavy, and there isn't a lot you can do about it. Mags are an issue for an Open gun, you will need to have Jim Anglin make a big stick for you and it will be 29 rounds where I have 31 in an S_I, the 40 Caspian mags can do 21 so they are only one down on an S_I. The good news is the new Caspian mags are very nice!

Mags are an issue for an Open gun
- I would only be thinking about a limited. It looks like checkering can be added for $85 from caspian. I am assuming a smith would pay a lot less than MSRP on caspian's site...Brownell's has caspain stuff for quite a bit cheaper than the caspian site with the discount, but I wouldn't be able to order custom options.

As far as weight, how far off from a SS would I be (beyond the ammo weight)? I would probably use a bushing barrel. They do make a Ti frame, but I think I would prefer carbon.

Dont forget about Para's either.
- I wouldn't mind a para, but reading about them makes me doubt long term reliability of the platform. I am not convinced that a custom would even be more expensive long term.

Mags are an issue for an Open gun
- I would only be thinking about a limited. It looks like checkering can be added for $85 from caspian. I am assuming a smith would pay a lot less than MSRP on caspian's site...Brownell's has caspain stuff for quite a bit cheaper than the caspian site with the discount, but I wouldn't be able to order custom options.

As far as weight, how far off from a SS would I be (beyond the ammo weight)? I would probably use a bushing barrel. They do make a Ti frame, but I think I would prefer carbon.

- I wouldn't mind a para, but reading about them makes me doubt long term reliability of the platform. I am not convinced that a custom would even be more expensive long term.

The checkering option from Caspian is not currently available for the Hi-Cap frame, although Jim Anglin, Clark and Neil Keller can do the checkering. Caspian used to offer a frame with EDM checkering and I have heard rumor that they will again.

My open Caspian weighs 45ozs in comparison to my Singlestack which weighs about 40ozs.

The Ti frame if still available would add 300 dollars to the cost of the frame.

Alan

Just wondering, what have you read about long term reliability? Seems Todd Jarrett doesn't have a problem w/ them, been shooting them for many years.

The Caspian widebody is a great platform, don't be worried about a little extra weight. The extra weight is where it is needed, the grip area. Capacity is 21+1 with the new tubes (Tanfoglio) with a base pad and spring-follower combination. Before the ban Caspian was the must have platform, during the ban S_I's and now after the ban there's a lot more to choose from.

The only way to know if a platform is for you is to shoot them. I like the feel of metal frame guns over the S_I's. Just because everyone else seems to think the S_I is the only way to go there are plenty of other options out there. In no particular order Springfield widedody and now the XDM, Caspian, Tanfoglio/EAA, Para, CZ,and Glock.

Rich

Seems Todd Jarrett doesn't have a problem w/ them......

Hmmmm, opinions vary

:blizzard:

Other than the past few large matches that he has had some issues with. Overall, I think he has been satisfied with the Para line. (Unless there is something in the works of him changing platforms that I haven't heard of?)

Back on topic some, I have shot Glocks for many years with no main problems, then late last year went with a Para P16 and the next Limited gun will be a STI. Parts are more plentiful than Para or Caspian and it seems like everyone has extra parts for sale at a decent price. Also most gunsmiths seem to prefer to work on the STI based guns.

Quality of Caspian products is second to none. If you like the platform, there really are no drawbacks to using Caspian. Another option for checkering is the TIG welded insert from EGW.

And if you don't mind being "cheesy", grip tape is cheap and effective alternative. I've used it on various guns for years.

I hope no one took me as being down on the Caspian high caps, I have a frame and now mags and will be putting one together for myself before long. The frame REALLY feels good in my hands.

Caspian is as good as it gets. But only as good as the gunsmith that

builds it. You might want to consider a call to Matt McLearn who owns

M2I. He is building a lot of Caspians these days.

His guns are amazing they run run run.

He is also a world champian, national champian and Grand Master that will honesly tell

you the pros and cons of the different platforms. Great guy to deal with.

http://www.mattmclearn.com/

If I were laying down for a new limited gun it absolutely would be gunsmith built no

matter what platform it was built on.

dcalvert

Remember, TJ probably has 3 or more match ready guns at one time plus who knows how many being worked on. That being said I have one which was built on a frame kit before complete guns were available and just about every other match gun nor the .40 S&W for that matter. I don't keep track of how many rounds I have put thru it (I'm too old for that at 61+). If I was a lot younger and just getting into Limited I would go with a STI (probably worked over by someone) and get the mags tuned and go from there.

Whatever you do enjoy,

Richard

No one has addressed this yet, but going custom for a limited gun is going to cost at least 2k and you should budget 2500-2700. Just something to chew on. There is a reason that STI sells so many complete guns.

That being said, custom is the way to go, I'd do it if I could swing the entry fee but would rather buy bullets.

To me nothing feels better in the hand. Most of the extra weight is back between the hands so the gun still points and balances well. Travis T. seems to do well with one. I also seem to recall seeing Jake D. shooting one at the nationals a couple of years ago. Didn't seem to be holding him back either.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

how about this one???

I'll have to think about it. I actually have looked at it in the classifieds already, it is very nice.

The goal I had in mind when I posted this was basically to make a clone of my single stack, but a hicap .40. I had been thinking about trying to get a .40 SS to save a few bucks on bullets and cheap/free brass, then I thought "why not a limited gun that would handle the same?" I could shoot a different division and not have to think about reloads, and just keep the SS I have instead of selling it or having two. I have a ton of .45 brass and stuff now anyway.

So the farther the gun gets from a single stack, the farther it is from my initial plan, so the sight tracker is a little off for me. The other issue is cash-ola. If I were to do a build I would be looking at January or something. I might keep an eye out for good deals in the meantime.

I'll have to think about it. I actually have looked at it in the classifieds already, it is very nice.

The goal I had in mind when I posted this was basically to make a clone of my single stack, but a hicap .40. I had been thinking about trying to get a .40 SS to save a few bucks on bullets and cheap/free brass, then I thought "why not a limited gun that would handle the same?" I could shoot a different division and not have to think about reloads, and just keep the SS I have instead of selling it or having two. I have a ton of .45 brass and stuff now anyway.

So the farther the gun gets from a single stack, the farther it is from my initial plan, so the sight tracker is a little off for me. The other issue is cash-ola. If I were to do a build I would be looking at January or something. I might keep an eye out for good deals in the meantime.

Hmmmm....Reloads are still a big part of shooting limited <_< I think the disadvantage to the Caspian is STILL the mag issue. Availability and options for magazines are still way more limited than for 2011 framed guns. Basic Supply/Demand dictates that you will pay more for them. For the same reason, I would put Para as the last option.

like the others have posted, the caspian frames are thinner than any other highcap frame, and feel better to me than the sti's or para's. this is because the frame was designed around a double stack 38 super mag, instead of a double stack 45 like the para's and sti's. the down side to it, is you lose 1 round of mag capacity.

the only other con is, if you like to tinker, you've only 2 sources for parts, caspian and EGW.

EGW makes triggers, magwells and basepads.

in other words, if you want a higher cut beavertail, a shorter or longer trigger, different mag catch or a wider paddle on the safety, you have to use the stock parts and mod them yourself.

holsters and mag pouches can be an issue. most of the stuff is built around the sti/svi frames, and if you want the latest and so called greatest design, you'll probably be sol.

also the availability wood grips can be an issue. hogue has them listed on their website

http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchant.i...d=31&step=2

but they felt too thin to me.

Naviridex made them also, they were thicker and contoured, felt great in the hand. but good luck finding any.

now you're probably thinking I'm one of those sti/svi forever kind of guys, I'm not, I've been running caspian raceguns since 94, and love'm.

Well the Caspian has a metal grip frame and its available right now. STI and SV are still trying to develope a metal grip frame for their limited guns - but so far its just vapor-ware.

If it was not important to have a metal frame on a limited gun, then why would BOTH STI and SV be working on one? In addition, both the TGO's and Jarrett's limited guns are built on metal-framed limited guns. Besides, Caspian has always been a major sponsor of USPSA and almost any 1911 smith I can think of praises their dedication to quality.

Get the Caspian.