Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why isn't Mike Voigt active in the BE forum?

Before any craps themselves or starts eating - god forbid - popcorn :roflol: , let me make it clear this ISN'T a political discussion or a personal attack. I met Mike briefly in Tulsa last summer and he was very cordial and seemed like a great guy. And you can't deny that USPSA is growing under his leadership - just look at the membership increases over the past several years. So, this is in no way intended to be an attack against Mike.

I'm sure others have wondered the same thing but I've never seen it discussed before - why isn't the USPSA President more active here in the one on-line forum that attracts more USPSA members than any other place on the net? Is he even a member here?

By my count, this forum has just under 13K members, even if only 75% of the forum members belong to USPSA (I suspect it's a higher percentage than that), that's still almost 10K USPSA members here. I've read somewhere that the current active USPSA membership is around 16K, so it's probably safe to say that "most" USPSA members are also BE forum members. That said, why wouldn't the USPSA President have a presence in this forum?

I got to thinking that maybe he doesn't visit here because it's not the "official" USPSA website, so I surfed on over to the barren wasteland that is the USPSA discussion forum (in the USPSA Members area) and saw a place on that board reserved for "President's Comments" and it was empty too. Maybe Mike just wants to stay seperated from the typical "internet fray" one finds on many discussion boards? I don't know - just thought it was interesting.

I believe Mike is a member here and has posted in the past although it has been awhile. And no, I don't recall what his user name is.

If memory serves every time he would pop up here he would get deluged with folks badgering him about this or that which pretty much would take the fun out of participating.

I have met him at several matches and he has always been willing to have a face-to-face discussion about various USPSA issues.

Some people just don't do "online" very much. No harm, no foul in my book.

....But for those who might be a little slow... Just what does your comment mean?

That might be me :D and I'd be interested to hear the translation as well?... :P

From the ones I've talked to (which is by no means all of them, but more than a few) the main ones are--

1- don't have time

2- get deluged with questions

There's also some mention of things like 'what's the point?' (they know who won the match, probably can't use 99.5% of the shooting advice and normally get paid to teach it to people) plus some 'everybody's an expert on the internet' and a desire to get away from the job every once in a while thown in.

....But for those who might be a little slow... Just what does your comment mean?

That might be me :D and I'd be interested to hear the translation as well?... :P

Let the pocorn eatin' begin! :sight:

From the ones I've talked to (which is by no means all of them, but more than a few) the main ones are--

1- don't have time

There's also some mention of things like 'what's the point?' (they know who won the match, probably can't use 99.5% of the shooting advice and normally get paid to teach it to people) plus some 'everybody's an expert on the internet' and a desire to get away from the job every once in a while thown in.

Thanks, Shred. Kinda what I would guess also. A little too much "adoration" from the fans... :wacko:

Just because he doesn't post doesn't mean he's not a lurker. :ph34r:

Bill

Thats right, you always hear everybody talking about how people tore it up on the

Enos forum but they are not regular posting members. Lots of lurkers here, whatching

the forum action!! :o

1- don't have time

In addition, in Mike's case, if I were going to guess, I would bet it would also include the inevitable "people using him as a punching bag" (the taking away all the fun thing that Kevin mentioned). The abuse that some like to heap on the leadership of USPSA would drive me right off the forum if I were in that position... I marvel at how several of our BoD members manage to stay active here, sometimes... ;)

Just because he doesn't post doesn't mean he's not a lurker. :ph34r:

Bill

I'm betting that a lof of the top shooters lurk here. It's probably the first place to find out about when matches are scheduled and when new gear comes out. If you just went off the USPSA website you'd miss a number matches, or changes to them. R,

For the record, no single person in USPSA is responsible for all the good or all the bad that happens. Increases in membership numbers or decreases in membership numbers has as much to do with the hard work our local clubs do to recruit and retain members as anything else.

With that being said, the leadership of USPSA, President and BOD, have for the most part been very receptive to the wishes and ideas of the membership. This has produced some good results and will hopefully produce additional good results in the future.

Edited by Gary Stevens

It's amazing how fast this thread grew. :surprise:

.... and for the record I believe his enos name was El Pres.

Brian tagged him The King.

Appears the name did not survive all the board transplants, and upgrades.

:)

For the record, no single person in USPSA is responsible for all the good or all the bad that happens. Increases in membership numbers or decreases in membership numbers has as much to do with the hard work our local clubs do to recruit and retain members as anything else.

With that being said, the leadership of USPSA, President and BOD, have for the most part been very receptive to the wishes and ideas of the membership. This has produced some good results and will hopefully produce additional good results in the future.

Amen to that! Seems to be mostly a thankless job.

Edited by larry cazes

Does it matter? What would it gain? Being involved in some of the food fight type of arguments on here would not make USPSA any better, or worse. He has email if you really need to ask him a question. I don't know how well he answers them all. But I sent him one email and have gotten one response.

Being President he is going to get more than his share of the blame when someone doesn't like something so I could see where he just avoids it.

Gee maybe instead of playing keyboard GM he is actually out practicing??? How many of the true top shooters have time to specd posting here???? There might be a reason they kick our butts....instead of professing to be great they go and work at it.

I think it's because he has a life. If you saw how hot his g-friend was you'd understand. :roflol:

Now that's funny!! :roflol:

For the record, it seems like he's a member here (maybe even twice) but visits / posts infrequently (probably too busy as has been pointed out). A friend of mine found two likely profiles "MichaelVoigt" and "Michaelvoigt1"; joined in 2001 and 2003 respectively. Last visit was FEB this year. Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread civil and non-accusatory. :cheers: