Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 Vs. Dillon Super 1050

Would like some feedback on the differences between the Dillon 1050 and the Dillon Super 1050. Which is the preferable model for lots of .45acp reloading? I've read that the Super 1050 was brought out to better acomodate the reloading of longer rifle cases. I don't anticipate loading anything larger than .308 in quantity but the reloader will be primarily used to crank out 45 acp. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Can you still buy non-Super 1050's new? There are some comments on here (or the old board).. Doesn't seem to be a lot of difference, but the old style gets the nod for pistol calibers.

I for one, much prefer my 1050 over my 650.. so long as I don't have to change calibers.

I have a 1050 a load up thousands at a time so I don't mind the 20 minute change over time. You'de better buy extra tool head for changing calibers though. No high primers and no up stroke are a big plus in my book, plus the downstroke is easier too.

Thanks for the responses guys. The reason that I am looking a the 1050 rather than the 650 is because of the fewer problems with the priming systems. The idea of a swaging die making all of the primer pockets uniform would seem to be a worthwhile option. Are the problems with the 650 priming system and different primer pockets exagerated?

Also the difference in price is not that steep if you consider that you must add so many parts to the 650 to bring it up to what comes standard on the 1050.

I also understand that if the 1050 is used for commercial purposes that it has the specified one year warranty. However, if the press is used for personal shooting that Dillon will take care of you if there are problems. Is this true? Any one with any experience with Dillon's customer service response and the 1050 used for a personal reloader?

The Super 1050 was modified over a year ago to slow the indexing to make it more user - friendly on short cases. Regardless of the purchasers intentions, all 1050s and Super 1050s have a one year warranty. We are moderately generous with small parts within reason, but if you trash a shellplate due to misadjusting the swage rod, you'll pay for the replacement. The 1050 series of loaders are designed for the high volume loader, whether a commercial loader or a high volume competitive shooter.

Thanks for the feedback Dillon. It is great to get a response straight from the horses mouth. Dillon's policy seens more than reasonable. I was still wondering if I might hear from some 650 guys as to how much time a priming glitch (stuck primer, primer hung up on a crimped military case, etc.)holds up the reloading process on a 650? How often do priming glitches occur on the 650. Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

I was still wondering if I might hear from some 650 guys as to how much time a priming glitch (stuck primer, primer hung up on a crimped military case, etc.)holds up the reloading process on a 650? How often do priming glitches occur on the 650. Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

No exp. with the 650, but my experience is that the glitches are what takes all the time in reloading. I've been able to turn out 6-700 rounds and hour on my 550 - just by having things set up so that I don't have to stop for anything. I have big bins for brass, bullets, and a Dillon auto primer feeder. It makes a huge difference in your productivity. If you have the dough to get a 1050 and don't want to mess around with anything - you should. When I was travelling really hard for work a while back, I could justify a LOT of labor saving devices just because I simply didn't have any free time at home. It was the difference between shooting being fun and shooting being a job.

I have reloaded better than 60K on my 650 and have had the primer system freeze up on me exactly one time. It took less than 10 minutes to get that cleared and be up and running again (had to remove shell plate and primer system). I have had the occational primer seated sideways, but we are talking about less then .2% of then time here. The only primer problem I have seen with my 650 is high primers. Evan this has not been a big problem.

BTW, I typically load 800+ rounds in an hour so I don't see the 1050 being a big advantage over the 650 unless you reload a lot of MIL brass with crimped primer pockets.

This has been my expierience. I hope this is helpfull info for you.

I'm a big fan of the 1050 because of the reasons mentioned.

I spoke to my guy at Dillon regarding the warranty concern, and was told that the one-year warranty is due to the amount of those machines being used to load serious boatloads of ammo, like by police departments and commercial reloaders. Often, they don't employ the most intelligent handle-pullers, so they trash lots of stuff on the machine. He said that unless a particular customer creates a track record for trashing parts, they continue to take care of any problems that occur. Basically, under normal wear and tear incurred by the non-professional reloader, consider that it's a lifetime warranty.

be

• 6 years later...

I have two 550s and just bought a super 1050 and dillion rebuilt my 550 had for 20 years and wore it out they rebuilt it it looks like new thanks dillion!!! and no charge to fix it. and had it back in less than two weeks. I love my 1050 it was hard to get running at first but dillion support was great after a few phone calls and some tec advise got it working. the primer pocket swadger is great it was worth the money i am finally getting my 223 loaded up so i can shoot more and reload less since i pick up my brass at work that nice people leave for me i get all kinds and i dont have to seperate it out just run it threw the 1050 and it does all the work also dillions custmor service is great they always have taken care of thing B) s that break and never charge you for it and they have the parts here in 2 to 3 days.

I also understand that if the 1050 is used for commercial purposes that it has the specified one year warranty. However, if the press is used for personal shooting that Dillon will take care of you if there are problems. Is this true? Any one with any experience with Dillon's customer service response and the 1050 used for a personal reloader?

Dillon is pretty good about 1050 parts, however, it's hit and miss on getting an unofficial extension of the warranty. Sometimes you get treated like a 650 owner, and at other times, you run into a Dillon employee who although unfailingly polite, sticks to the official line of "nothing free for a 1050 over a year old".

More important than free or paid is that parts are available and ship quickly.

• 2 years later...

I am going to by a dillion loader and will be loading only hand gun ammo mostly nine and 45 acp so if the 1050 super is modified for for short cases it should be he one I want,also I am trying to get into practical shooting so if there is any info on that please send it a long.

If there is anyone who has master the use of progressive leanse in there shooting glasses HELP

Thanks dandpa

If you can afford one, and don't want to tear up your forearm if you are loading a lot of rounds you will be happier with the 1050. Properly set up and kept clean, the 650 is a great press, but the priming on the upstroke is hard on your arm during marathon sessions....over 1K.

DougC

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to by a dillion loader and will be loading only hand gun ammo mostly nine and 45 acp so if the 1050 super is modified for for short cases it should be he one I want,also I am trying to get into practical shooting so if there is any info on that please send it a long.

If there is anyone who has master the use of progressive leanse in there shooting glasses HELP

Thanks dandpa

Not using progressive lenses; but, instead of using my bifocals I had a pair of shooting glasses made. The entire lens for the dominate eye is my bifocal prescription adjusted for the distance from my eye to the front sight on my M&P Pro, the entire lens for the non-dominate eye is my distant vision prescription.

It works very well for me. It did take some getting used to. I've met others with the same set up and it works well for them.

If you don't load anything longer than .223, that the RL1050 is all you need. You will also save $500 over a Super 1050.

However, going in, know that you aren't going to get a used one for much less than a new one. If you do find one for a lot less, be sure it isn't worn out.

It is very superior to the 650. It, however, is not covered by a printed "No BS" warranty--however, Dillon has covered all of mine.

. The reason that I am looking a the 1050 rather than the 650 is because of the fewer problems with the priming systems.
I have had fewer problems with the 650 priming system than anyother Dillon. I think due to the fact the 650 is the only one that has a brass tip on the primer tube, all the others are plastic. I know some have used the 650 tube in other machines but I have never lit off a primer while reloading and would like to keep it that way and figured if Dillon thought it was ok they would just ship me one brass tip instead of all the plastic ones they have sent over the last 27 years.

I have paid for all but one of my RL 1050 parts, but then again the only one I asked to get for free I did. It was a vet old swage backup die. Yeah the weren't always the cool one piece deal we get now.

I suppose a 23 year old model deserves the tender love and care I give it and the minor cost of the parts now and then has never bothered me.

Good luck in your search.

Personally I would just call up Brian and order it new.

Cheers

GT

• 2 years later...

I have a 650 and a 1050. Both are fantastic machines. 650 more flexible while the 1050 is a more robust machine. It will deliver the volume with less physical effort on your arm. It is however a more complicated machine that will take more time to get used to and will cost a lot more to have numerous conversions.