Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Gizmo from Target Arms

Saw the article for the 40 Gizmo in the May issue of Front Sight.

Does anyone have one of these full length sizers? Reviews?

Looks like they'd be pretty good.

Much cheaper than a CasePro too...

Thanks.

Curious ... what is this 40 gizmo?

Resizing die - this one pushes the cartridge all the way through the die for a full length resize.

I tried twice to email the address listed in the article, to no avial. I emailed the author, and he just emailed me back that he would try and get me in touch with them.

Will keep you all informed.

Mark K.

Page 59 on the May?June Front Sight Mag. Neil on Reloading does a little review.

I have used the Magma - the same principle but not as well conceived IMO - and it does a nice job - again IMO....

I will keep my automated Case Pro. :)

I just got off the phone with John Eiermann. He is Mr. Target Arms. Appearently, the email listed in the Front Sight article is not working. Alternate email address is jnighthawk@sbcglobal.net.

He is indeed making this GIZMOs for completely resizing 40 SW brass (he is looking to find someone to make the die for him for other calibers in the future).

You can get the die by sending a check or money order for $74.95 made out to him personally (John Eiermann) and send it to

Target Arms

P.O. Box 326

Grand River, Ohio 44045

Be sure to include your return shipping address.

He told me that the author of the article, Guy Neill, put the cartridges through the die backwards, i.e. base first and it will work that way, but he really recommends putting them through mouth first, so that you have full support of the ram on the base. He says that he has been using his for several years without a problem. When resized with this tool, the worst "Glocked" reload rounds drop into a case gauge with a "Klunk".

Also note - this is made to go in a single stage press. So, even buying a cheap or second hand press, your total outlay should be in the $125 dollar range.

My check is in the mail to him now.

That's my story, and I am sticking to it.....

Mark K

Yes - I was pushing the cases through backwards. Purely dumb - or based upon earlier experience with the Magma arbor press system.

But I'm always willing to learn!

Guy

But like he said, it will work either way, but doing it mouth first, gets rid of your concern about support at the transition inside the case.

Mark

P.S. Thanks again for your help

So by logical extension, maybe this will become the first popular pistol brass to require trimming?

/Bryan

I would think not, I have a magma sizer and it has not affected length at all. Rifle cases grow because they are bottle necked, straght wall pistol cases get shorter if anything.. I have shoved cases thur the magma both ways and see no issue either way.-----------Larry

It is great to have something to fix Glocked brass..but does this not seem like a cumbersome extra step? I know it is a(gizmo) buch cheaper but would not a case pro do this job a bunch faster?

Personally a use the EGW undersized die...and yes I do load slower with that die compaired to dillon resizing die I could use after the shell is resized with the gizmo or case pro. But I do not have that extra step...seems like less work to me...getting it all done at once. Almost all my .40 brass comes from a police source..and I have had zero problems with the EGW undersized die. Plus the EGW die is half the price of the Gizmo.

What do you guys think?

My .02 cents......If you have a lot of the brass that needs to be De-GLocked......I would run it all through and process them using whatever die you want to by themselves 1st. I tried the U die when trying to load, and it was a PITA....

I usually collect a big batch of it and set up the press to run them through. It is much smoother and easier to load the the processed brass, and if you are loading the powder pretty full in the case, it will keep the powder from flying out when you are cranking on the brass with the U die......FWIW....

DougC

This is what i do to deglockify the cases

When i have loaded all my ammo i gauge all the rounds and thoose rounds that will not gauge correctly i put aside.

Then i put thoose rounds through a Lee FCD that i have removed the crimp thingy from.

I have had a friend to make a kind of rod that fits in my RCBS single stage press so that i can safely press the round completly through the FCD.

After that process the rounds would to 99.5% gauge correctly.

I'am sorry that could not show pics, but my digital camera is broken.

Ola

This is what i do to deglockify the cases

When i have loaded all my ammo i gauge all the rounds and thoose rounds that will not gauge correctly i put aside.

Then i put thoose rounds through a Lee FCD that i have removed the crimp thingy from.

I have had a friend to make a kind of rod that fits in my RCBS single stage press so that i can safely press the round completly through the FCD.

After that process the rounds would to 99.5% gauge correctly.

I'am sorry that could not show pics, but my digital camera is broken.

Ola

This is what the "Gizmo" is.

I got both a cheap Lee Press, and the Target Arms Gizmo today. Works like a charm. Cases that will not come close to going in the chamber on my SV, drop in with a clunk after going through the Gizmo. The paper that came with it, naturally cautions against using primed cases or loaded rounds. HOWEVER, when you get a look at it, you will see that the face of the ram is so wide, that there is little chance of that ram detonating a primer. Very little pressure is required to resize the case. The actual die he is using is a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I don’t intend to use this on all of my cases – it would be a poor use of my time. Seems like it would be better to still check all cases in chamber of the gun, and then just use this to resize the stuff that will not fit. I am too cheap to just throw them away.

Mark K

if you are going to take the time to chamber check each case in your barrel, then why not just resize them all? much faster, and less of a waste of time.

Waste of time - Well, that is a matter of opinion, I suppose. 1) I can set and check ammo while watching TV with my son so it is not much of a time issue, 2) I check ammo (primer, etc) regardless of the resizing method - I chamber check because my chamber is tighter than my Dillon Case Gauge, and 3) I used to check just match ammo, but a jam in practice, is a lost practice opportunity, so I tend to check it all.

The long and the short is, I chamber check anyway, so it seems like I am saving time by using the Gizmo only on the 1--2% that do not pass the first time, rather than all ammo.

Edited by Mark K

The paper that came with it, naturally cautions against using primed cases or loaded rounds. HOWEVER, when you get a look at it, you will see that the face of the ram is so wide, that there is little chance of that ram detonating a primer. Very little pressure is required to resize the case. The actual die he is using is a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Mark K

You had better think this one through again.......loaded cartridge inside of gizmo, neck of case held tight against bullet, ram insuring that the primer stays in place......oh yea, some debris of any type on the ram that sets off the primer. Best case the bullet releases with probably higher pressure than in a firearm, worst case you have just created a bomb.

The paper that came with it, naturally cautions against using primed cases or loaded rounds. HOWEVER, when you get a look at it, you will see that the face of the ram is so wide, that there is little chance of that ram detonating a primer. Very little pressure is required to resize the case. The actual die he is using is a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Mark K

You had better think this one through again.......loaded cartridge inside of gizmo, neck of case held tight against bullet, ram insuring that the primer stays in place......oh yea, some debris of any type on the ram that sets off the primer. Best case the bullet releases with probably higher pressure than in a firearm, worst case you have just created a bomb.

Scott,

I appreciate your concern, while I may or may not resize the bulge out of a loaded round...... 1) The ram pushing the pullet has a relief area under the primer that is larger in diameter than a primer that is deeper than a primer is thick. For something to detonate a primer, it would have to be pretty big, go un-noticed as I put around in, and then be rammed with sufficient velocity to detonate the primer. 2) The cartridge is being resized by a carbide ring that contacts the round in a short length. The round is not encased as it would be in the chamber of the pistol. The every case I have tried, because when loaded, the round was already resized and crimped, the only place the carbide resizing ring contacted the cartridge was down toward the base - where the bulge was.

Thanks again for your concern. With reloading as all things, we must each detemine the risk with full knowledge, and determine what we are willing to do.

Mark