Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok probably got your attention but I have seen this locally at Three different clubs this year. Not really stealing but my hope is that people who are doing this, read this and stop doing it.

Brass is real expensive, its a fact.

New shooters are new and might not get how it works.

The last couple matches I have seen that they are showing up sometimes with families and taking every piece of brass they can get their hands on!! After they or anybody shoots.

I don't get it :rolleyes: cause I was raised that if its not mine I don't want it and that goes WAY beyond brass. Kind of common sense manners if you ask me. By the way my brass is also marked.

These newbies took over a 100 brand new 38 Supers from me while I was checking my targets this weekend.

NONE of them, of course, shoot 38 Super so they will probably throw it away as they sort their "loot" this week. but I did see them take almost all of a friends .40 S&W last week.

You probably going to say why don't you say something. I do, but it is a much larger problem this year. Its just that when you are ROing and trying to focus some things don't get noticed. I do need to paste, set steel, RO, and whatever so I can't make brassing my #1 priority. Why people don't take the brass to a table and Sort to owners is beyond me.

I have adapted to the fact that people no longer help police brass like we did religiously in the early days. It was as expected on a squad as much as helping paste but this new development has me baffled. :sick:

Rant complete..

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate that as well. And I hate the random people not shooting, not involved in the match at all that walk around picking up grocery bags full of brass before anyone shooting has had a chance to go back and pick up their brass after the match is finished.

Brass IS expensive, and therefore worth alot more this year. Both to the shooter who wants his own brass back, as well as the "scrounges" who just want to sell it and make a buck or two.

Kinda seems like a stalemate, except for one small detail ....... IT BELONGS TO THE PERSON WHO SHOT IT! :o

Take what belongs to you, and hand the rest off or place it on a table, or whatever. When I pick up brass I don't pick up 9mm or .45 because I AM SHOOTING .40 IN LIMITED. Plain & simple it's not mine.

Please be courteous to your fellow shooters and do the same.

Wow, that's annoying. I know that we're all going to accidentally end up with some brass that's not ours, but this is much different. I mark my cases very distinctly and try to look at every case I toss in my brass bag so I don't take anyone elses. At our match on Sat a friend walked up and handed me one of my 38SC cases (nickel) and said "I've held onto this for two weeks to give it back to you!" LOL....talk about honesty...both she and her hubby have recently converted their Open guns to 38SC and I know they don't have a ton of brass built up yet.

Problem is you put all the brass on a table for sorting and then they

come up as you turn around and take all of it. Now you just picked

it up for them... :surprise:

I'm thinking along the lines of no brass pick up is allowed until the match is done!!

I hate that as well. And I hate the random people not shooting, not involved in the match at all that walk around picking up grocery bags full of brass before anyone shooting has had a chance to go back and pick up their brass after the match is finished.

Jeremy, did you know we actually had someone doing this on our squad yesterday? It was some guy that was there to 'watch' the match, following Randall around like a puppy, and shagging people's brass sometimes even before they finished shooting. He was told to quit ~3 times but kept right on as if he owned the place.

:blink:

I have an idea... How about teaming up with a friend? When he/she shoots, YOU follow behind and get their brass. When you shoot, he or she does the same for you. When neither of you are shooting, you can score/tape/RO, etc.

Gary

We brass after every shooter. While the targets are being scored and taped there is more than enough time to pick up the shooters brass. I've never seen it slow down a match and everyone gets their brass back.

I would be very interested to hear how other match directors are handling this situation. We had quite a few new shooters at our last match - and several were grabbing every piece of brass that they could get their hands on - whether it was the caliber they were shooting or not. I would like to say something in the next shooters meeting without sounding like a range nazi.

Jeremy, did you know we actually had someone doing this on our squad yesterday? It was some guy that was there to 'watch' the match, following Randall around like a puppy, and shagging people's brass sometimes even before they finished shooting. He was told to quit ~3 times but kept right on as if he owned the place.

yep :sick: oh hell ya'll know the rest of that rant

At our club we don't brass after every shooter. I've come to think of it as a lost brass match, but I do get a little anoyed at the fact that there are a lot of guys picking up every piece of brass that they can get their grubby hands on while me a several others are busy putting up the toys.

At one of the local ranges here, we pick up brass after every shooter. RO and Scorekeeper score, some paste, some police brass. During the match briefing, it is clearly stated that if you want your brass, it goes to the shooter. If he/she doesnt want it, it goes in a bucket, different from the trash bucket, and it goes to the range/club. I dont know how they divide it up, maybe among actual club members, dont know. But when they catch someone taking from the bucket, the MD has some words with them, caught again and you move to the ranks of not welcome, shooter or not. Works pretty well, but matches are only about 30-40 people and a good 25-30 of that are the "Usual Suspects."

This is a very timely hate rant. This came up yesterday at a match and several of us were talking about it.

I remember a few years ago it was common for the RO to assign brass as a duty::

" Larry is up", "Moe is on Deck", "Curly is on brass".

Then I think ammo got temporarilly cheaper and when not everyone started to care about brass, some people got greedy.

I am noticing that the 9mm shooters are even now starting to shag their brass.

I think that Range briefings may need a bit of a lecture on brass etiquitte.

I ESPECIALLY HATE people who take marked brass. When you see someone took the time to concentrically mark the sides of a case you really should know enough to realize that fellow wants to keep the stuff.

Ted

I see this as a growing problem as the cost of brass continues to rise. Hell I've left many thousands of once fired 9 mm WWB cases on the ground in the past... but a few weeks ago.. I sold some on this www site (from my indoor range) and guys were fighting over it at 4 cents a piece. I'm guessing the current "value" at this point might be more like 5 to 6 cents each for "REALLY-- once fired" and cleaned 9 mm. For .45s... the number might be closer to a dime. Midway and others are selling "new" brass for nearly a quarter each.

I shot in a special classifier match a month ago at a popular Michigan USPSA club (do you hear me Wayne????)

One dude in my squad had his wife and a kid there. As soon as the range was called "safe" they lunged out and collected up every piece of brass.. of every caliber that they could find. They didn't pick up any .22s or other junk stuff... They had obviously been trained.

If the shooter followed the CRO around (as I believe they should-- especially in a special clasifier match) to review the scoring... by the time they had their targets scored.. the brass was in a bag being hauled away. One guy in my squad was shooting a 38 super open gun with new Starline brass...and after the match he told me that he had recovered 30 cases for the whole day of shooting.

That's just not right !!!! And USPSA / IDPA needs to get some kind of control on theis issue.

Edited by MichiganShootist

I see this as a growing problem as the cost of brass continues to rise. Hell I've left many thousands of once fired 9 mm WWB cases on the ground in the past... but a few weeks ago.. I sold some on this www site (from my indoor range) and guys were fighting over it at 4 cents a piece. I'm guessing the current "value" at this point might be more like 5 to 6 cents each for "REALLY-- once fired" and cleaned 9 mm. For .45s... the number might be closer to a dime. Midway and others are selling "new" brass for nearly a quarter each.

I shot in a special classifier match a month ago at a popular Michigan USPSA club (do you hear me Wayne????)

One dude in my squad had his wife and a kid there. As soon as the range was called "safe" they lunged out and collected up every piece of brass.. of every caliber that they could find. They didn't pick up any .22s or other junk stuff... They had obviously been trained.

If the shooter followed the CRO around (as I believe they should-- especially in a special clasifier match) to review the scoring... by the time they had their targets scored.. the brass was in a bag being hauled away. One guy in my squad was shooting a 38 super open gun with new Starline brass...and after the match he told me that he had recovered 30 cases for the whole day of shooting.

That's just not right !!!! And USPSA / IDPA needs to get some kind of control on theis issue.

There oughta be a law...maybe the next Pres will see fit to guide inept shooters in the right course.... :roflol:

At the waco-larue match 2 weeks ago, when they were sitting up the prize table a pair of oakly's were missing from the box. SOMEONE took them & no one found out who. I hope they fall & jab themselves in the eye.

At our range, each squad has a bucket and all the brass goes in the bucket. The bucket belongs to the squad. At the end of the match, it gets dumped on the table and the squad sorts through it and takes their brass home. Anything left over is up for grabs or goes in the recycling bucket for the range.

Mark,

Where were you shooting yesterday? I thought SR was canceled this month.

At our range, each squad has a bucket and all the brass goes in the bucket. The bucket belongs to the squad. At the end of the match, it gets dumped on the table and the squad sorts through it and takes their brass home. Anything left over is up for grabs or goes in the recycling bucket for the range.

This sounds like a very nice solution to brass problems...... I think I will see if we can implement this in my home club....

Here at the Dutch matches it's simple. The shooter that shot the stage will pick brass for the next shooter. That way you have time to look at your targets, top of magazines and other stuff while the next shooter is shooting the stage. And you will stand ready when he's finished. If that shooter is done and the RO gives the "Range Clear", you will pick the brass for that shooter. When he walks back from the stage, you will wait for him with his brass to return it to him.