Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tumbling media

I am looking for a location to get a large quanity of corn media for tumbling. I have tried all the feed shops and media blasting companies in the area and can't come up either the correct size, or large enough quanity.

I am looking for roughly 50 lbs bags as I can split it up with some friends.

O and if it helps I am in WI.

I am looking for a location to get a large quanity of corn media for tumbling. I have tried all the feed shops and media blasting companies in the area and can't come up either the correct size, or large enough quanity.

I am looking for roughly 50 lbs bags as I can split it up with some friends.

O and if it helps I am in WI.

Check out Grainger.

• 3 weeks later...

I am really surprised that the sandblasting places didn't do you any good...been getting mine from one for over 20 yrs and they certainly have the quantites you are looking for....I use walnut hulls and get the size that drops thru the primer hole so I don't have to worry about that issue...Good luck with your search.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use the Zilla Lizard Littler from PETCO. I think it is cheaper than the bird stuff, and my the one by my house always has it but doesnt have the bird stuff.

I just add a little car polich to brighten up the cases. I am thinking about trying to get my hands on some corn and mineral spirits.

Matt

I bought some of the walnut litter at one of the major pet stores and I am not impressed at all. Six hours in my big Dillon yeilds mediocre clean cases. I'm switching to some other product when this stuff is gone........

I have been using white rice with good results. It's cheap and readily available, although I've never seen it in anything larger than a 20 pound bag.

I take it you have not bought rice lately.

I bought a of 50# bag of rice a year ago, and decided it was time to replenish supplies, as I was well over halfway through it. When I saw what had happened to the price, (compare it to what has happened to lead over the last year),I made a U-turn and strolled over to the local cattle feed store. 50# of corncob for $8. It's a little bigger grind than I like, but it gets the job done with a capful Nu-Finish.

• 1 month later...

The best supplier for walnut I have found is a company called KramerIndustries Inc. / www.kramerindustriesonline.com / They have sizes from course - fine -extra fine , and dust if you have a need for it......Price is great but shipping cost for 50 lbs. is yet the main cost . their fine grade works well and will not clog in primer flash hole....

• 1 month later...

But is it clean? The last bag I purchased was filthy. Once I was done tumbling there was so much fine dust it made a mess of everything. While I was separating the media from the brass there is a cloud that gets onto everything and the brass never came out with a nice shine, it was always dull. Had to wear a hepa mask during the separation.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jon

Jon,

I agree with your post.

I had a similar experience with the corn cob litter purchased at a local pet store.

I did not really clean the casings to any kind of shine.

I tried adding stuff to it and it still did not shine the casings and the dust was bad.

The dust it made was out of control. Even using the media seperator which has a closed top the dust was still worthy of taking mask precautions.

I then went to the local gunshop and purchased Lyman Tuffnut media (red).

I have used it and found the caisngs come out very polished and then dust problem is minimal.

IMHO Its worth the extra bucks to have a product that works.

JK

I do not know what media I was using and have been using the dryer sheets which did not work at all. Still a huge cloud of dust and a dull polished look.

Will have to go back to Andersons media 14/20 (my local gunshop quit stocking the stuff). Made a call to Andersons and was directed to a company locally and placed an order. When I explained the dust the individual let out a laugh and knew immediatiatly what I was talking about. With dryer sheets and new media I should be back in business.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...