Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you deal with Dot Wash Out?

TruStreet

some use a glare shield.

I just try to keep fresh batteries on hand and pay attention to the overall brightness. Try to catch it before the stage, normally an 8 min at full on does not wash out.

some use a glare shield.

I just try to keep fresh batteries on hand and pay attention to the overall brightness. Try to catch it before the stage, normally an 8 min at full on does not wash out.

I changed the batteries the night before! It was on full bright.

Edited by TruStreet

I shot Area 6 this last weekend; on one of the stages (a stand & shoot) the sun was directly behind me & washed my dot out.

TNA

Manny

The Big Pimp @ the Cat House!

The only time I have the dot wash out is when the lens is dirty. The lens looks smokey and then add some direct sunlight and I can't see anything. At a major match I will take a small bottle of lens cleaner and a Q-tip and clean the lens after every stage. I have barrel ports so my lens gets smoky quicker than a gun with just a comp.

I just went too pearl vision and bought a lens cleaner and refill for about $7.00. Its a nice small bottle and when I eventually run out I'll probably just use windex.

If my lens is clean I can shoot with the sun in front or behind me and I'm fine. If its dirty it adds alot of time to pick up the dot.

Flyin

Generally smaller dots are not as bright as the larger ones. While I have experienced problems with 4 & 6 minute dots, I have found that a good 8 minute dot with new batteries can cover about any situation too. However, not all diodes are created equal, I have bright and dim diodes of each size and getting a new one is no gurantee that it will be a bright one.

Depends, Manny... Glare shield, fresh batteries, and at least an 8 MOA dot all go a long way toward fixing wash out... However, on stages 7 and 9 at A6, if shot in morning light... those poppers rejected a 12 MOA dot with fresh battery turned up all the way... ;) Actually, rejected two of them.... How do you know when to shoot? When the dot disappears, whack the trigger!!! :lol:

FWIW, Bob, in the bright Texas sun, an 8 MOA dot will wash out... It won't seem like it, so much, but you start having phantom misses, and shots not ending up where you called them, and it turns out its because your eye just isn't seeing enough dot against the target to see it move rapidly away. Thus my move to the 12... and so far, I'm really liking it, even on long range stuff.... ;)

I use a Grams Docter sight in 7 moa. It does not wash out. But, yup, make sure the lens is clean! I use isopropyl as opposed to glass cleaner. I had an optical tech mention that the ammonia in some cleaners can attack optical coatings (like UV coating on glasses) so the iso is fine. I carry around some of those alcohol swabs that they use when you get injections. They are handy to have in the gun bag and they don't leak!

Later,

Chuck

Timely post. Just got back from Tuesday Night Steel and the sun was just right (wrong?) on one stage to make my 6 MOA dot go hide and seek. I've got a 12MOA sitting next to me now. If you listen closely you can just barely hear it.... "Use me........ use me".

W E L L , I went to our weekly indoor match last night & half way through a stage my dot disappeared. I changed the battery again & no dot, Its going to C-MORE today.

Edited by TruStreet

Depends, Manny... Glare shield, fresh batteries, and at least an 8 MOA dot all go a long way toward fixing wash out... However, on stages 7 and 9 at A6, if shot in morning light... those poppers rejected a 12 MOA dot with fresh battery turned up all the way... ;) Actually, rejected two of them.... How do you know when to shoot? When the dot disappears, whack the trigger!!! :lol:

FWIW, Bob, in the bright Texas sun, an 8 MOA dot will wash out... It won't seem like it, so much, but you start having phantom misses, and shots not ending up where you called them, and it turns out its because your eye just isn't seeing enough dot against the target to see it move rapidly away. Thus my move to the 12... and so far, I'm really liking it, even on long range stuff.... ;)

Got me a 12 yesterday..........Wow!! Looks like I will have to run it very low indoors compared to my 8.

Can't wait to give it a run outdoors!!