Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do gun mags love taking pictures with knifes in them?

I like my knives. I've managed to obtain a fairly large collection over the years. But never in my mind have I seen a knife and said, "boy that would look sweet next to my 1911"

Now, I know some craftsmen that work in wood make grips for knifes and guns just the same. I can see that. But if you are writing an article about the latest greatest super-duper revolver why on earth does there need to be a pocket knife in all of the included pictures?

If you open a guitar magazine, you don't see a drum stick lying next to all the guitars.

I don't think I've seen a knife magazine. Do they have guns in all their pictures?

" Why do gun mags love taking pictures with knifes in them?"
Because knives are cool and they're a naturally suitable co-product to show with guns (that "product placement" remark is valid). They're aesthetically interesting and relevant. Most every gun owner (and even some non-gun-owners) carries a decent knife, so... they're relevant.

They are just promoting their advertisers; dollars and cents. You place advertisement with us and we will squeak you in from time to time.

If you will start noticing, if a gun company isn't placing ads in the mag you'll see very few of their guns featured. You will read something like I drew my Night Owl forty-five from my Mitch Rossy holster that was concealed under my 911 vest. In my pocket was a xyz knife to supplement for close quarter combat. I could not have moved in the stealth mode without my Puma boots. And so on. Its harmless as long as you know what your reading and don't take everything as an endorsement of a product.

These guys are selling products just like the guy behind the counter at your favorite sporting good store.

Buddy

haven't flipped through a playboy in about 30 years, but i expect there are a few things in those pics as well.

It's been a few years for me too but I don't recall knives or guns in those pics. Weapons, oh yes...but of an entirely different sort. :devil:

It's pretty much the same for any magazine that is trying to survive on ad revenue. Subscriptions don't even come close to covering magazine publication costs. Quite often the subscription revenue doesn't even cover postage. Wood working magazines always make sure you can see the brand of tools being used, stain being applied, etc. Cooking mags go the same way. There is also a strong correlation between the ad space purchased in a magazine and the "product" being used in the illustrations.

It do find it "interesting" that the subscription price for electronic magazines (e.g. via Zinio) are not substantially cheaper than printed and mailed magazines. Yes, there is usually additional content in the digital version but that content is almost always also available free from their website for subscribers.

Speaking of gun magazines, I love GunTests. It's $45/year, and printed on non-glossy paper stock, but those guys really pick stuff apart. Lots of times, they'll have malfunctions which flunks the gun, but they'll also tell you this is covered under warranty, or it's an easy fix (or difficult), whatever. And they review Glocks. :D

I don't know guys....

Flipping through a few, only few mention the brand/model of the knife in the picture. A lot of them I would never know how to find if I did want one. I am not completely buying the ad part of the equation. I see knife ads that are out right ads. I also see a few features on knifes. I kinda see the connection, as I like my knifes as well as the guns. But there are quite a few gratuitous knife spots in the firearm pictures that are not merely ad placements imho.

I am working on a little research to support my claim here.

:blink::ph34r: :ph34r:

OK, we'll simplify this convoluted discussion: :rolleyes:

--Guns are sexy.

--Knives are sexy.

--They make great visual art together.

--End of story.

Oh, and they're both useful items.

Oh, and have we noticed that FLASHLIGHTS are often included in firearm photos...?? Yep. Any objections to flashlights...??

I buy the GUN magazine to read about guns. I don't want to read about flashlights. knives, trucks, or anything else. if I wanted to read about them I would buy a magazine that was specific to the item.

I have a subscription to several magazines and a couple are beginning to become boring and as they expire......there gone. As said before, Gun Test is pretty good. At least they don't take advertising and have to give a glowing report on the featured guns.

I'm sure a bunch of folks don't mind the space being filled with articles on knives, body guard assignments, It happened to me (sure), my dog Goldie and so fourth. I just feel that I am paying for something that I am not getting.

Buddy

OK, we'll simplify this convoluted discussion: :rolleyes:

--Guns are sexy.

--Knives are sexy.

--They make great visual art together.

--End of story.

Oh, and they're both useful items.

Oh, and have we noticed that FLASHLIGHTS are often included in firearm photos...?? Yep. Any objections to flashlights...??

Actually, yeah, flashlights too. I don't mind it as much, if the gun has a LIGHTrail. I guess I don't mind knives either, if it is actually a bayonet. I can think of A LOT of sexy things that don't belong together, the decorum of this particular forum prohibits me from making an exhaustive list.

just saying....

Edited by Vagus