Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are bad habits that you see shooters doing?

Hi all,

Yeah, if this has been discussed already, would you point me in the right direction (URL) please.

I tried doing a search first.

If it has not been discussed already, then please chime in.

What bad habits have you seen newbies pick up?

Thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stripping mags out by hand rather than letting them fall free. Putting empty or partially loaded mags back in their mag holders. Not having an exact plan or not sticking to it....they see something right before they shoot and try to change to that at the last minute. Oh, and shooting too fast or trying to run through a stage like the club champ.

Oh, and shooting too fast or trying to run through a stage like the club champ.

OUCH, that one hit close to home. :blink:

Like the joke used to be when I first started, "shoot fast and look good because none of the spectators can see the holes".

Oh, and shooting too fast or trying to run through a stage like the club champ.

OUCH, that one hit close to home. :blink:

Like the joke used to be when I first started, "shoot fast and look good because none of the spectators can see the holes".

I tried that when I started. it sure made the drive home a lot longer. :unsure:

Yeah, all of those misses really annoy me. Plus once I saw myself on video I realized that I did not really look good so I might as well slow down. Now all I have to do is get my brain to make me do this once the timer starts.

The absolute worst thing I see and hear is....They try like heck to convince you that they are going to screw-up and that they can not do it. and they did not :blink: Inherit the genes for shooting. ..They used the wrong hair jell their finger nails are too long on one hand and too short on the other. NO one can shoot this stage clean ....thesunisinmyeyes.... my glasses are too dark.

:angry2: I have to plug my ears some times :angry2: Tell me what you CAN DO!

Edited by AlamoShooter

The absolute worst thing I see and hear is....They try like heck to convince you that they are going to screw-up and that they can not do it. and they did not :blink: Inherit the genes for shooting. ..They used the wrong hair jell their finger nails are too long on one hand and too short on the other. NO one can shoot this stage clean ....thesunisinmyeyes.... my glasses are too dark.

:angry2: I have to plug my ears some times :angry2: Tell me what you CAN DO!

I can stick my finger in my mouth...and make a popping noise :closedeyes:

Since I have been shoothing SS several open shooters in our club have developed a bad habit of whuppin up on me :unsure:

Jim :blush:

Hauling ass to a shooting position then stopping to reacquire the front sight instead of being ready to shoot WHEN they arrive at said location......................Applies to me personally most of the time!!

Single stack / production / L10 shooters not changing mags when moving & therefor going to slide lock in middle of an array. - EVERY STAGE!

Single stack / production / L10 shooters doing a standing reload.

Swinging from array to array around a barrier with gun extended (pull that gun into the chest instead.)

Drawing to a barrel up position, and lowering the front sight onto target (tick-tock tick-tock).

Dropping shoulder and twisting hip when drawing from holster.

Waiting for the steel to fall before moving on to the next one!!!!

(bang-klang bang-klang bang-klang - slow)

(bang-bang-bang klang-klang-klang - fast)

Production DA shooters who don't 'takeup' their triggers soon enough on their 1st shot.

The DEATH GRIP.

Thinking expensive gear will make up for a bad shooter.

Grinding your teeth when shooting (my big problem - too tense!)

I saw a video of this Bozo the other day. Just looking at his technique made me cringe. He had a host of short comings including:

1, Dropping his head slightly on the draw.

2. Not bending his elbows enough.

3. Slow transitions due to watching the gun settle after the last shot on the previous target.

4. Rushing the shot before the sight picture or dot was where it needed to be.

5. Brain fade at the shound of the beep.

6. Not running like the Hounds of Hell were on his heels.

7. Obviously, NOT DRY FIRING NEARLY OFTEN ENOUGH!

The guy was a real clown. What's worse, he looked just like me! :surprise:

Edited by XD Niner

My personal favorite - shooters who give their mags an extra tap or two to "seat" them after they've already slammed them into the magwell.

- Standing reloads

- Shooters moving with pistol up and arms locked but not shooting - if you're not firing, lower the pistol and run

- Going to the start line without a semblance of a plan

Hmmm....Been RO'ing new shooters regularly at sectionals and locals for a while so there are so many. I am a lowly B shooter so most of my peeves are safety related.

1. What we affectionately call cowboying :) This is when the muzzle is allowed to point vertically up or straight down to the ground when entering/exiting shooting positions or during other movement. This falls under the category of insufficient muzzle control or awareness.

2. Trigger finger not completely leaving the guard during movement, reloads, etc. If I can't see that it is clear of the trigger, I will assume it is not.

3. Sticking the gun and arms into a port or barrel when it is not neccessary to do so. I see a lot of DQs and broken front sights lately here.

4. Arguing with the RO. I don't think there is ever any reason to argue with an RO on a call. It is uncalled for and the appropriate method to dispute a call is laid out very clearly in the rule book and does NOT include this.

Jeff 686 wrote:

Drawing to a barrel up position, and lowering the front sight onto target (tick-tock tick-tock).

I call that porpoising ( a glider flying term, kinda like this video:

).

It reminds me of Charlie's Angels.

@Flex, thanks for that hint to look in Steve's book. I'll have to look them up.

Jeff 686 wrote:

I call that porpoising ( a glider flying term, kinda like this video:

).

It reminds me of Charlie's Angels.

@Flex, thanks for that hint to look in Steve's book. I'll have to look them up.

Porposing is a good name for it. Don't even get me started about TV gun handling :)

However, I don't think that video was glider porposing, it looked more like a winch launch to me. Glider porposing I've seen is usually pilot induced oscillations (PIO) during towing behind a power plane. It's usually a problem for heavy handed novices, early in the takeoff roll as the gilder becomes airborn before the tow plane. I sometimes have the problem (single oscillation) during the 1st flight of the season, or the 1st flight in a new/different aircraft.

Are you a pilot? We should swap stories. I have a great one about a Blanik, a doberman, and a huge lone oak tree in a big empty field.

"Grinding your teeth when shooting (my big problem - too tense!)"

A piece or ten of chewing gum straightens that out right quick.

I've been seeing a lot of creeping lately....

and shooters readjusting their "weak" hand after every shot.

Safety-wise, I've looked down the wrong end of a few barrels due to folks thinking they're the club champs... I really hate that. :surprise:

Gun handling: Poor awareness of muzzle direction in concert with trigger finger

Shooting: Trying to grab the quick perfect shot, instead of following shooting fundamentals and gradually increasing trigger pressure until the gun fires. One can jerk a trigger slowly and cause a bad shot, and one can press a trigger rather quickly and not jerk it. Tough to learn the keen difference.

Model-A Good priority= fewer mikes', fewer D's, fewer C's, fewer B's leads to more A's. This model encourages the shooter to locate the target's desired hit area, hold it there with sights aligned and cause the gun to fire without permitting the sights to leave the desired hit area. Area aiming and working the trigger smoothly, whether it be slowly or quickly doesn't matter. Gun fires as somewhat of a surprise, beacuse you are letting the gun shoot, vs. making it shoot NOW!

Model-B Poor Priority= more A's, more B's, more C's, more D's..... . This Model encourages the shooter to ambush the trigger with a quick shot because the sights are perfectly aligned and in the middle of the A or X or -0 zone. Instead, we often get a poor shot beacuse we MADE the gun fire NOW and enduces a jerk of the trigger which pulled the muzzle direction away from center, and instead of snatching a quick A, we got a quick C.

Model-A contributes to better trigger control and will have the shooter improve their shooting skills, which in turn will make them a better shooter. Better shooter first, then learn to do it quicker as needed.

Model-B contributes to jerking the trigger and will be disastrous on the precise shots or the distance shots. It will not contribute to better shooting, although if the match is close distance enough and target areas big enough, and other shooters poor enough it could lead to a shallow Victory that day.

The Champion is determined by the fewest number of poor shots, not the highest number of best shots. Model-A will lead you to this more quickly, and take you further up the Classification scale.

Martin :cheers:

Edited by Allgoodhits

Making "unload, show clear" a muscle memory habit, so that you can do it faster. So fast that you can't even see it.

I guess I always miss the part of the scoresheet where you write down how long it took a person to clear their gun.