Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are bad habits that you see shooters doing?

^^^ A'yup, I (we?) do appreciate that. Lots of laugh's all around. :D

:cheers:

(not to drift this thread too far off)

I think it is called the "Primack Principle" : 10% of the people do 90% of the work, or simply the 90/10 rule.

Jerry (aka CoF) had the same problem, I think when old Caseyville was up and running.

When I was in the Chair Force, we had another 90/10 rule but that was something different. 10% of the people would give you 90% of the problems. Discipline related, like using the government issued American Express card to buy a new Ninja or CBR. :surprise:

I'd be more willing to help out if I lived closer. I have to get up early enough to make it to your match, as it is.

At least, I do try to help tear down, especially if I'm out there already whoring up the brass. I don't want to be a complete brass whore. :unsure:

Hey, easy on the guys with the blazing fast 4 second reloads, 'kay ? :ph34r:

I might just have a few of those tomorrow... dang single stack mags.... :(

For the new guys who are reading this, if you do help out, you might just get some really good advice from an MD or RO whose USPSA member number is like 40,000 less than yours, as you put targets, poppers, and wall sections away.

I'm all ears when it comes to anything those guys have to say. They have been there done that.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The absolute worst thing I see and hear is....They try like heck to convince you that they are going to screw-up and that they can not do it.

This past weekend at an IDPA match we had a standards stage with a classic USPSA/IPSC shooting problem: Pepper Popper in the middle, static paper to the right, drop turner to the left. Stage description required you to shoot the PP first, then you had your option of shooting the paper in any order. I had a new shooter tell me - and many other people - "It's impossible to hit the target on the right before you shoot the disappearing target. It's gone too fast." Not just, "I can't do it," but "It's impossible." Oy gevalt. And this was a SLOW drop turner, folks. All I could think of to do was look at him and say, "It's not impossible." And then do it, of course.

I think that new shooters don't realize - and a lot of shooters at the higher skill levels have forgotten - that for shooters at the higher skill levels, things seem to happen much more slowly than for newbies. I'm sure that for the weaker shooters on that stage, they hit the PP, before they knew it the steel was on the ground and the DT facing them, they rushed over to the DT and, if they were lucky, fired a couple of hopers - engaging the static before the DT was completely out of the question. Whereas the stronger shooters hit the PP, before it even started to fall they were over on the static paper, fired two aimed shots, then came over and waited for the DT to face them, at which point they fired two more carefully aimed shots. Not a problem.

3. Slow transitions due to watching the gun settle after the last shot on the previous target :surprise:

Thanks, XD Niner, for pointing that one out. I've been doing that and wasn't aware of it until I read you posts.

That was a big one for me. I used to dip the gun between shots trying to see where I hit..and then I'd let the gun settle before moving to the next target. It's amazing how much time you kill on that. The best suggestion I can give to new shooters is have a friend video tape you shooting. You learn so much about how you run a stage from that.