Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else miss the Cold War? A lot of younger people have no idea what it was or what is was like, the idea of the two biggest kids on the block were going to fight one day with the fate of the world in the balence. I was a corpman with the mardiv, and we when anywhere and everywere that uncle ronnie sent us, (Ron Reggan did more for the u.s. military in his 8 yrs. then any other did before or since). I to this day beleve that if the cold war had still be on, that 9/11 would never had happened, one side or the other would have heard about it before it happened, and the threat would have vanished. Today to much is in the open, yes I miss the cold war, anyone else? :cheers:

Oh yeah, those were the days. We did not go to the Moscow Olympics, remember how that got the Soviet Union out of Afghanistan?

Hey, maybe if we boycotted the China games this Summer the Chinese Commies would get out of Tibet?

Forget about Korea, Cuba and Vietnam. Really.

All seriousness aside, let's look at the bright side. Without the cold war we would not have Bond, James Bond. Neither would we have gotten to the moon, watched Get Smart or bought M16's. And let's not forget The Hunt for Red October. Now that's a great movie!

Wait a minute! Bond, Red October? Jeez, if not for the Cold War Sean Connery wouldn't have had a career!

Bring it back!!!!

:D

Important note: the opinions expressed in this post are those of the absurd and do not necessarily represent the opinion of the forums or the poster.

Oh yeah, those were the days. We did not go to the Moscow Olympics, remember how that got the Soviet Union out of Afghanistan?

Hey, maybe if we boycotted the China games this Summer the Chinese Commies would get out of Tibet?

Forget about Korea, Cuba and Vietnam. Really.

All seriousness aside, let's look at the bright side. Without the cold war we would not have Bond, James Bond. Neither would we have gotten to the moon, watched Get Smart or bought M16's. And let's not forget The Hunt for Red October. Now that's a great movie!

Wait a minute! Bond, Red October? Jeez, if not for the Cold War Sean Connery wouldn't have had a career!

Bring it back!!!!

:D

Important note: the opinions expressed in this post are those of the absurd and do not necessarily represent the opinion of the forums or the poster.

Don't forget Mission: Impossible (the series -- althought the movies were cool, too).

Or The Man From Uncle.

And my personal favorite: The Avengers (Mrs. Peale -- Rrrwwrrraarrrrggghhh!) :wub:

Well, at least we knew who our enemies were.

I served under REAGAN too, and he was the first guy I ever voted for.

I remember my father saying "Someday we're going to have to go toe to toe with the Russians, you better F@#$%ing be ready"

a lot of us old farts that kept track of the "dragon or bear" morse and non morse system operators, linguists, analysts for the Air Force Security Service, Army Securty Agency, Naval Security Group put in a lot of dedicated work without any official recognition. Those incidents with loss of life from direct enemy action for the most part have been downplayed. Lima Site Laos off the PDJ, RC130 off Armenia, RC 121 off Korea, and earlier the USS Liberty and probably a whole lot I've forgotten...regards Les USAFSS 202 in a former life

a lot of us old farts that kept track of the "dragon or bear" morse and non morse system operators, linguists, analysts for the Air Force Security Service, Army Securty Agency, Naval Security Group put in a lot of dedicated work without any official recognition. Those incidents with loss of life from direct enemy action for the most part have been downplayed. Lima Site Laos off the PDJ, RC130 off Armenia, RC 121 off Korea, and earlier the USS Liberty and probably a whole lot I've forgotten...regards Les USAFSS 202 in a former life

Right on, Brother. Initally enlisted in ASA, but it was converted to part of Army M.I. before I got out of training. But spent about 1/2 of my 20 years working for NSA at field sites.

Mark K.

Russian Linguist/Intel Analyst

98G Korean linguist here, came in the ASA in 1970, shipped to training Feb 71, DEROS in late 1973, out in '76 back in in 78, back on AGR tour in '85 (as an 11) and still serving. I wonder how linguists and morse operators there are lurking here?

Two words, Menningan Gap (spl)( it has been a looong time) No fun Got so didn't care, I was insured. F troop 2/11th ACR. Don't miss the stuff at all....

The Cold War is largely responsible for the mess we are in today. For years, every two-bit regime was propped up by one of the two superpowers and every so-call freedom group by the other... mooney and arms flowed and the superpowers struggled by proxy. Now all those proxies are armed to the teeth and pissed that the money is no longer flowing so they blame the superpowers and viola ... we get terrorists!

Yes, its an oversimplification, but we sowned a lot of the conflict still raging in the world or at least added lots of fuel to fires that were already there.

The Cold War is largely responsible for the mess we are in today. For years, every two-bit regime was propped up by one of the two superpowers and every so-call freedom group by the other... mooney and arms flowed and the superpowers struggled by proxy. Now all those proxies are armed to the teeth and pissed that the money is no longer flowing so they blame the superpowers and viola ... we get terrorists!

Yes, its an oversimplification, but we sowned a lot of the conflict still raging in the world or at least added lots of fuel to fires that were already there.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who remembered when Osama Bin Laden loved us for training and equipping him to get the Soviets out of Afghanistan.

I was sitting Alert the day George Bush announced that we were standing down.

Even after hearing him, I didn't believe it....

until I was drinking a beer in the parking lot that afternoon. :cheers:

We made the best of the daily routine, but I don't miss the "work release program" one tiny bit.

Edited by Hoofy

Osama Bin Laden's not the only one, let's not forget that thur American's liberal step, we educated in our colleges some of the most ruthless leaders in world has ever know :surprise:

I remember lying in bed terrified about being vaporized by a nuclear weapon. I still often think of the day that the world finally has a its first full scale nuclear war. Not a good feeling.

I'm really not looking forward to the day that I have to explain nuclear weapons to my sons.

I used to fly around with the US Navy tracking Russian boomers. Our WW3 would of lasted about 15 minutes. As we were told, that was the time needed for the boomers to come up to launch depth, align the intertials in the missiles and shoot. After that, if there was no anti-aircraft activity you might as well nose you a/c into the water since home base was vapor by then. The real scary part was seeing the situation maps where all the boomers were plotted during mission briefs. Very scary stuff...

Later,

Chuck