Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fear is 1979-1980 with Jimmy Carter in office.

Unless you were aware of it, while it was happening, you cannot relate.

yes, very aware, But Iran is so peacefull today

I am astounded that anyone would make a statement like that... :goof:

Actually, if it weren't for clerics screening out all the reform candidates, if Iran *truly* had free elections, it'd be a shockingly different country. As it is, it's actually one of the most liberal countries in the middle east. If it weren't for a grudge over the U.S. Embassy event, it would be much more logical for the U.S. to allied to Iran vs. any other Muslim country in the middle east.

I am astounded that anyone would make a statement like that... :goof:

Actually, if it weren't for clerics screening out all the reform candidates, if Iran *truly* had free elections, it'd be a shockingly different country. As it is, it's actually one of the most liberal countries in the middle east. If it weren't for a grudge over the U.S. Embassy event, it would be much more logical for the U.S. to allied to Iran vs. any other Muslim country in the middle east.

Not worth arguing over, IMHO, but consider this. We did align with them up until the time of the "Embassy event". See where that got us.

They do have clerics screening out reform candidates.

They don't have free elections.

And I believe if you check real close, they don't like Americans.

Not to mention this small thing about trying to build nuclear weapons.

On the other hand, this country will always have friends and enemies. Their positions swap because of economic, religious and other reasons about as often as we have leap years. There are a few middle eastern countries that have aligned with the US over the years and maintained that alignment, but it was primarily to their security interest to do so. The only thing constant about the world is that it is constantly changing. Unless a country starts from the beginning as ours did, and rigorously maintains those freedoms, it probably isn't going to last. I'm too lazy to look up the reference, but the quote is, "Democracy is a poor form of government, but it is the best one we have found."

Thank God, I was born in America

FWIW

dj