Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Lube

DogmaDog

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian,

You use Hornady One Shot and you don't have to tumble or dry them after you load them? They dry by themselves in the air or what? This sounds nice. I used to use the Dillon case lube and liked the way it made the brass feel, it made me think I was reloading new brass all the time, but I hated dragging the tumbler and sifter out everytime I reloaded.

Yeah, Get the One-Shot.  I tried it after getting a recommendation from here about a month ago and it works so well I can no longer tell SuperComp cases by the extra resizing effort and have to pick them out by hand now :(.  I can live with that.

• 6 months later...

I've been using dillion's case lub while loading my ammo. I like how it really reduces the press efforts. After loading I then take the loaded ammo and put it in the tumbler to remove the case lube. I usualy run about 50 rounds through the tumbler for about 10 to 15 mins. This takes thye case lube off and restores the shine. I have been told this is very bad! Some people say that. it could break up the powder, or remove the glycerin coating thus affecting the burn rates and pressures. Or potentionaly I could have a round go off in the tumbler. I just wanted to get an idea of everyone elses methods.

Thanks,

Erik

I use the Hornady One Shot and I do not remove it from practice ammo but I do remove it from match ammo. I really don't know why I remove it from match ammo I have never had any problem with my practice ammo but you guys know how it is with match ammo.

[Wrongness Mode ON]

What I do with the Dillon lube, is to add some denatured alcohol to the tumbling media.  This strips off the lube very quickly, so it only takes a few minutes in the tumbler.

Eventually, I'll get off my butt and buy a can of One Shot.  

E

Both Erics and Dedmon: I use OneShot and I do the same thing! (tumble to remove lube). About 15 min in corncob is all it takes, and I only do that for match ammo. I am shooting 45ACP at the 165 PF - in a round that can easily handle 200 PF loads - so I am not too woried about slight increases caused by powder breakdown after 15 min.  Often, I will gauge all match ammo and then plce it in a silicon cloth and rub together a bit - seems to make rounds quite slick.

Hi Folks, with the DCB case cleaner one does not need to rub anything, there 's a protective film staying on the case that makes it a bit slick and offers a big advantage, it's less dirty after firing.

I just checked the thread that shred had posted and luckily saw the post by Jeff Maass.  I know the guy (Geoff) he mentions testing this "urban legend" and was going to relate it.  Fortunatley that saved me some typing.  Geoff also debunked the "primers can get deactivated by oils from your hands" urban legend.  

Geoff likes to tinker and is always willing to try something to see the result.  He makes armor steel targets and touts how good they are at soaking up some of the bigger calibers.  I jokeingly said the next time he came down to visit his dad (I live in the same town as him) I will have to try my .460 Weatherby out on his targets.  Knowing it would ruin one of his targets  didn't matter to him, he wanted to see what it would do and insisted we would do it the next time he came down.

The next time he came down and I went out to the ranch I put a .45 cal 500 gr. soft point going just under 2,700 fps on one of his gongs at 70 yds and it cut a neat clean hole in the plate like a .223 will do to a softer piece of steel.

Neal

Sierra Vista, AZ

Last week I did make the mistake of not removing the case lube and it really gumed up my mags. One mag so bad that it started  to have feeding problems. Luckly that stage were that happend the Ro's had a few math problems and I got to reshoot it with clean mags and ammo.

erik-

I load on an old Dillon 1000, and have never used case lube with it.  have had no problems.  Tumble B4 you load with ClemTex walnut hulls and Metall, look like little gold nuggets, and you don't have to fool with case lube at all.

Isn't that why they make carbide dies?

Rifle ammo should not be tumbled more than 10 minutes or the powder can break down and make the loads hotter

I don't buy that for a second. There's absolutely no way running loaded ammo in a vibratory case cleaner, even for hours, is going to agitate the powder to the extent it that the hours it spends in trucks, trains, planes, etc. when it's being shipped either as powder or as loaded ammunition.

Think of the vibration ammo would have been subjected to in WWII from being shipped from a powder mfg to an ammo mfg then overseas.

If your statement was even close to being true, vibrated ammo would have killed more soldiers than the enemy.

Hey, in all fairness, Tim said that it just can make the loads hotter - as in altering your trajectory.  He didn't say that your gun would vaporize.

Tim's a good guy.  Cut him some slack.

E

That's cool, but I read the same thing Tim said about extruded rifle powders right from the manufacturer's web site.  They claim it abrades coatings they put on to control the burn rate.

I wonder the same thing as you. How is tumbling different than every other vibration?  But according the the manuf. it is.  

E

Rate of vibration maybe, in a tumbler it is submitted to around 3000 Vibrations Per Minute, but I remenber to have had a box of precision match reloaded 9 mm ammo without hard crimp on my motorbike's gas tank, when I arrived at the match half of the ammo had disassembled, talk about vibrations......

From what I little I remember of camera repair school, all vibration is not created equal.  One reason to carry your cameras in a padded case in the trunk was that the vibrations inherrent in driving a car could make screws back out.  So tumbling ammo probably exposes it to different (not necessarily better or worse) vibration than shipping would.....