Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major loads

fastphil51

Add me to Phil's request: The cost and unavailability of 9x23 brass has led to me to rebarrel (Scheumann AET) an STI to 9Major. My initial rounds will be 1.165 behind 125 Zero JHP. I have a great deal of VV3N37 and SP2. Does anyone have data for that combination and those two powders??

Thanks

A-G

Add me to Phil's request: The cost and unavailability of 9x23 brass has led to me to rebarrel (Scheumann AET) an STI to 9Major. My initial rounds will be 1.165 behind 125 Zero JHP. I have a great deal of VV3N37 and SP2. Does anyone have data for that combination and those two powders??

Thanks

A-G

I've not tried 3N37 or SP2, but I have loads in VV N350 (very clean) and HS-6 (somewhat dirty).

My loads are once fired 9mm brass with WSR primers and 124 gr MG JHP (or 125 Zero JHP when available). I load long at 1.195" (make sure your barrel is throated sufficiently that the bullet does not try to seat on the lands).

For HS-6 I started at 7.3 gr and worked my way up. Just over 8.0 gr (do not start here since guns vary) I got a PF of 171.25 with a SD just over 17.

For N-350, started at 6.5 gr and worked my way up. Just over 7.0 gr (again, do not start here since guns vary) and got a PF of 170.6 with SD just over 10.

This is from a 5" gun with a new (less than 2000 rds) 4 port Scheumann HybriComp and a 3 port comp.

If I ever find some, I also want to try VV 3N38. From the forum I've seen posts that indicate 3N37 burns a little too hot and may cause long term problems with the gun.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

IMHO--forget the 3n37 as it burns way to hot in 9 Major.

My understanding SP2 is great. You could give JL Hardy a call, he knows SP2 very well. I'm sure he could give you a starting point.

Good Luck- If brass keeps going up like it is we'll be picking up 9 brass too. Two years ago 9 WIN once fired was $19 K and now it is $29 and my brass guy says his sorters are complaining about sorting so he is going to mixed

I shot approx. 32 pounds of 3n37 and liked it very much for 9major....I have since switched to Ramshot Silhouette....it behaves much the same but gives a little more room while loading (you can then load a little faster). I load to an OAL of 1.17 and both loads were right in the 8gr range. REMEMBER TO WORK UP.

Craig

It really is a personal decision. I was using ramshot and switched to 3n37. I think it is a little flatter. The gun tracks faster for me.

Smoke and I have the same gunsmith too.

I shot approx. 32 pounds of 3n37 and liked it very much for 9major....I have since switched to Ramshot Silhouette....it behaves much the same but gives a little more room while loading (you can then load a little faster). I load to an OAL of 1.17 and both loads were right in the 8gr range. REMEMBER TO WORK UP.

Craig

I found the same with VV and now shoot RS too. Even our loads are about the same. I like it.... pretty soft not bad dirty and cheap as hell.

I'd use the SP-2 if you have it. I'd start around 8.5 grains with a 125 JHP Zero.

My load is 9.1 grains with a 125 JHP Zero with

OAL of 1.160. This will usually chrono about 170PF

with my 5.4" barrel and no popple holes.

Never hurts to start at 8.5 and work your way up.

If you don't like the SP-2, email me and I'll take it off your hands.

just chrono'ed 7.55 silhoutte behind a 124 cmj mg. out of 10 rounds was getting a good 166pf with a 5" with marvel comp. a little too close for comfort so i am going to bump up to 7.65 and see how that feels.

Ramshot True Blue, 124 gr FMJ, 7.8 grains for major, but you know to work up to that. Difference in performance so minimal when compared to the Vhit powders, but the difference in price is huge. Go Ramshot, you'll never look back.

just chrono'ed 7.55 silhoutte behind a 124 cmj mg. out of 10 rounds was getting a good 166pf with a 5" with marvel comp. a little too close for comfort so i am going to bump up to 7.65 and see how that feels.

Dave,

Are you using rifle reloading equipment to get to the 0.01 grain accuracy? Or when you say "7.55" is that like something between 7.5 and 7.6 on a 0.1 grain accuracy beam scale? I'm lucky if my SDB throws +/-0.1 grains of anything.

~Mitch

i use a scale that weighs to 0.05gn. i take at least 4 measures and use average. it's about as consistent/accurate as i am going to get without weighing each separately (which i have actually done before :wacko: ). you'll find silhoutte measures more consistent than some others.

Edited by dr2e

I just chrono'd some Silhoutte today, temp in the morning was low 40s. Load 124 MG JHPs, 7.9gr. 1.175" OAL WSR primers, 4.5" SV IMM 2 ports on top. 10 shot avg. 1406.9 fps, SD 17.6 fps, 174.5 PF

I don't know about cleaner, but it does meter well. Silhoutte might be cleaner than HS-6, but it's not cleaner than N340 or WSF.

i agree with you homie about the cleanliness (or lack thereof) of silhoutte. of the 2 ramshot brand powders i have used i found they both leave more residue than other brands. just means a little more time at the bench cleaning.

Edited by dr2e