Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF 100 Primer Filler

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I bought an RF-100 in spite of the negative posts I've read on the forum . . . I mean, Dillon sells it, how bad could it be? I'm using small primers and have a goodly sized stock of Federal - - probably the most problematic brand according to the posts.

Well, first off, I finally got the RF fixed so it works reliably with all primers the right way up, but it didn't start out that way as received. Out-of-the-box I was getting 3 or 4 flips per hundred. They were all flipping just as they went into the little blue bushing to drop into the tube.

I tried all the recommended fixes (except the mouse pad and dimmer). Putting foam between the tube and column helped, so did the "fixes" recommended by the Dillon techs (shimming the "A" thing up a bit and trying the "B" thing. This all worked to get maybe only 1 flip per hundred. Much better, but sort of like knowing you are only going to get shark bit once when you go swimming. i.e. totally unacceptable.

BTW, I agree with all those previous posters who've arrived at the conclusion that the RF-100's vibration level is probably set to handle large primers. However, this level of vibration is too much for the small primer. Also, that the RF operation will be affected by how level it is (mine's level) and by how firm and stable the surface is (mine's firm).

Called Dillon again and asked them about using a dimmer. Tech said they tried that and for unknown reasons didn't go with it.

Down to Home Depot to get a 600 watt dimmer (the kind that goes in a single-gang box). Wired it up as part of a short extension cord so as to provide a 3-prong socket. Now the RF works perfectly, some 1000 primers later, still not a single one upside down. Now I will admit that I'm a slow learner and I still don't completely trust the RF - - so I watch it every time to make sure it behaves. This may have something to do with why it's working so good?

Happy that my RF is no longer just a paper weight, I called Dillon to find out just why they do not build a dimmer into the RF since it seems like a good idea. Yup, it should cost lots to make the initial change but probably less than $10 ea for parts. It's such a simple and workable *fix* that they must have a very good reason not to have made the RF-100 more usable - right? After talking with a couple of the good folks there (none with the last name of Dillon), I was led to believe that, "Yes, they are well aware that the dimmer is the fix" and that the decision not to do it was made by someone with a last name starting with "D". I have a message in to that person, who won't be in 'till next week. I'll report back on what I'm told.

Disclaimer: I'm a recent XL-650 customer (maybe 3 months). I'm really impressed with Dillon's overall quality, design and warranty. This is the reason I find the the RF-100 such a conundrum - - an elegant design that doesn't quite work properly. Dillon needs to do what it takes to make it right.

bumper

It needs to be slowed down, which is what I did.

I made a box with an electrical outlet and a light dimmer, and when you get the required speed, put a mark on the box. This setup was originally made for a single speed Dremel in 1984.

Edited by RePete

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if CCI primers (smp and smr) give any problems with the RF100

I have only used winchester with no trouble , but a good deal on CCI has come up

and i would like to know if its worth it to switch?

thanks, Craig

FYI, The electrician I talked to suggested a Lutron fan control over a dimmer, and for $10 for the dimmer and $5 for an extension cords you can dial the thing so it work perfectly with whichever primer you like. Worth every penny for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this machine so much, that I just added my second one. Now I have one for large primers, and one for small. I would also like to add that the Remington primers seem to work better in these machines, and the reloading machines.

I have an older one that worked great when I first got it. Now I am getting the same issues as mentioned above.

Has any one that made the dimmer repair have any long term results. Still working 100% I have no use for something that does not work 100% ask my ex-wife :roflol:

Any suggestions comments would be greatly appreciated...

Edit - I am using WSP.

Edited by John2A

I've loaded probably 15-20K small (WSR, FedSR, FedSP, CCI SR), with the dimmer (I got a pre-made extension-cord-with-dimmer for ~$10) and I'm very happy with it. I think I've had two flippies in that time, whereas it used to be one every 200 or so. I suspect those were when the dimmer was set too high by accident (mark where you want it, then tape it in place once you're happy with it) Jams are much reduced too, mostly being the kind you can fix by poking up under the shield versus removing it.

I'm up to more than 150K primers through the RF100 and still think it rocks.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I put mine in line with the swtich and it works. In the last 1500 rounds loaded I have had 2 flippers. Which I could do by myself. I got just a Lutron dimmer, was like 5.00 and change single pole. works great, just wish Dillon would offer this as an option.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife totally went overboard for Christmas and bought me an RF100 primer filler! Looks like they've made a change because this one has a little dial on the control box to adjust the vibration speed. There's a little note in the literature that came with it indicating that they've redesigned the control box to incorporate this. Also, you can tap the blue button to turn the motor on/off. Evidently this wasn't the case before? It says in the note that you can upgrade to the new control box if you have an older unit. But, I guess if you already have an external dimmer to accomplish the same thing, why pay the extra cost?

The thing seems to work great! I haven't done any volume yet, but, with the dial set to the slowest speed I watched and didn't see any primers flip as they entered the tube. Hopefully they've got it fixed!

Now I just need to find someplace that's got small rifle primers in stock as I'm down to my last 2k!! :(

Thomas

Can the non-electrician folks here on the boards get some pics? Did y'all splice the line and then add the dimmer or does it plug in series?

Rich

ETA: Now I have to find one from a disgruntled owner. :D

Edited by uscbigdawg

Can the non-electrician folks here on the boards get some pics? Did y'all splice the line and then add the dimmer or does it plug in series?

Rich

ETA: Now I have to find one from a disgruntled owner. :D

Rich,

Just build a box using the wiring diagram that comes with the dimmer and put an outlet where the light is shown. a double box with a dimmer and a duplex outlet should do the trick. It is good to see that Dillon made the change, Now the out of the box RF should be as reliable as my VibraPrime :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

My wife totally went overboard for Christmas and bought me an RF100 primer filler! Looks like they've made a change because this one has a little dial on the control box to adjust the vibration speed. There's a little note in the literature that came with it indicating that they've redesigned the control box to incorporate this. Also, you can tap the blue button to turn the motor on/off. Evidently this wasn't the case before? It says in the note that you can upgrade to the new control box if you have an older unit. But, I guess if you already have an external dimmer to accomplish the same thing, why pay the extra cost?

The thing seems to work great! I haven't done any volume yet, but, with the dial set to the slowest speed I watched and didn't see any primers flip as they entered the tube. Hopefully they've got it fixed!

Now I just need to find someplace that's got small rifle primers in stock as I'm down to my last 2k!! :(

Thomas

My wife did the same for me and it showed up today (9" of snow in Portland, Oregon does stop the mailman for a while...). I ran a few hundred CCI's through it this evening and it was flawless.

Now I'll have to see about selling a slightly used Vibraprime with 7 primer tubes, only 150K primers through it. Any takers?

I have a similar problem as everyone else with WSP primers flipping. I have played with the tightness of the cup screw and this may have helped a little bit. I set the unit on a mouse pad but this didn't seem to make much difference.

Built a dimmer switch as many have stated. I am having alot of trouble getting the dimmer to function correctly. I do not really get any adjustment with the dimmer in place. I thought maybe I had a bad dimmer so check it out on some Christmas lights and it works just fine. When hooked up to the RF100 the dimmer is either 100% or so low that the primers don't even move.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks