Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Area 2 / Rio Salado Desert Classic - Mesa, AZ, Get your applicati

Thanks again for everyone for putting on the match and also for Squad 14 for putting up with me, (You guys rock and its always fun having a guy on your squad who actually likes going first)

Nick congratulations on your win, you are the best buddy!! As always the most colorful hair or any open GM (only you can get away with rocking the muffin top fade)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again for everyone for putting on the match and also for Squad 14 for putting up with me, (You guys rock and its always fun having a guy on your squad who actually likes going first)

Nick congratulations on your win, you are the best buddy!! As always the most colorful hair or any open GM (only you can get away with rocking the muffin top fade)

don't be jealous i know you like the hair

it just looks weird cause i don't wear a hat

This was an awesome match, thanks to all who worked it. I really enjoyed shooting on squad 7 with a great group of people. Special thanks to Wilson Combat for making this match happen for me. Congrats to Mike Lin, who edged me out in single stack for the win. My first Area 2 Desert Classic, but definitely not my last. I was happy to get through this match with only 2 mikes and a no shoot FWIW.

This was an awesome match, thanks to all who worked it. I really enjoyed shooting on squad 7 with a great group of people. Special thanks to Wilson Combat for making this match happen for me. Congrats to Mike Lin, who edged me out in single stack for the win. My first Area 2 Desert Classic, but definitely not my last. I was happy to get through this match with only 2 mikes and a no shoot FWIW.

Two mikes and a no shoot are not bad, considering the top 5

limited and open shooters all had at least two mikes, sometimes more.

Edited by Tim Egan

Two mikes and a no shoot are not bad, considering the top 5

limited and open shooters all had at least two mikes, sometimes more.

Yeah, reading that is killing me....I had zero mikes, zero no-shoots, no procedurals and my freaking gun losing it's zero cost me something like 80-90 points on that one stage alone...I'm afraid to figure out how much that dropped me in the overall standings :angry2: I was planning on consistent, steady shooting and that just won't work if you blow a stage from some other cause....rats. R,

Edit to add: okay, I had to go look....at least 15 places in the overall....ugh, I think I'm gonna need a margarita tonight with dinner!

Edited by G-ManBart

I too had a great time at this match. This was my first time going and it was awesome. I shot on squad 5 and everyone was great. We were very laid back and I think one of the few squads that didn't have a predetermined or micromanaged shooting order. We would just throw our slips on the clip board and shoot how ever they came up. This seemed strange to the RO's at the stages when we said that we didn't have a shooting order. The one and only GM on our squad got DQed on day 1 with an AD during a mag change so that sucked but he took it in stride. I wish he didn't have the AD and get DQed so we could all watch him work his magic on the stages. All in all it was a great match and a HUGE thanks needs to go to the Rio Salado crew for putting on an awesome match. TON'S of work had to go into that event to make it run as smooth as it did.

I will be back next year for sure. Hopefully by then the swingers wont beat me up so bad :sick:

I was on a great squad. A good mix of shooters. Everyone helped do everything. I, on the other hand, had more mikes than I have had in the last few Nationals. Add to that, a squib, it pretty much blew me out of the running for placing in my division/class. Regardless, I enjoyed myself immensely.

This was a great match! The stages were good, they made good use of the terrain, had everything for everyone. I will say, one stage, had the swingers from He$#^@^@ll. Boy did they move fast.

The high priest RO (Howard) on stage 4 with his motley crew (Palmer et.al), always makes shooting A2 pleasure. Then Joe, Monte, Steve, etc made for another fun time.

Congrats to you Mike, great to have you on squad 7, Larry said he learned a good bit from you and said to say hi. Hope you can make the WSSSC.

Pete

I did Not get in but I notice on the Stages they did not define the Shooting Area. Did they do that on the walk thru's? Went in '06 and they had the same problem then. "Shoot as you see them" - not - "Shoot them as you see them from area A."

nmipsc,

All of the stages had shooting areas, ports and fault lines defined but since you were not there you would not have seen that.

There was no reason to write things like from Area A.

Hope to see you come shoot again, it was a great match this year.

The walkthroughs pretty much cleared everything up ;) And... the stages were not at all what they looked like in the published diagrams.... Yet another reason to not pay much attention to them ;)

I agree with Nick - squad 2 rocked. We had a great time, even with the roller coastering. I didn't get to see Nick shoot much, as he was up right after me in the rotation. I was never quite on pace, making some mental errors, and then having two stages with some gnarly shooting mistakes. On stage 9 (with the fast swingers), I apparently shot fast enough to not quite win, but not get hurt too bad by it, though :lol: I didn't get a good look at that one running, so shot a safe-ish plan... just wasn't clear on the trigger control...

I enjoyed the match a lot - the stages were good, no crazy issues to deal with, no huge prop focus, no prop tossing monkey motions... Just shoot the thing. There were technical bits - in fact, the match was deceptively technical, with a lot of crucial setups (typical for A2). The memory stage wasn't, once you realized you had to hit all three positions, and figured out what could be seen from where.

Looking forward to next year.... Maybe I can give you a little pressure next year, Nick :)

MD's and stage designers (of other matches) take note. The stages were deceptively simple. It basically was a shooting match (novel idea). No gimmicks, no tricks, just show up and shoot. Foot work was big in this match and there was 1 head shot for the entire match (and it was at like 3-4 yards...if that far). Positions, speed and above everything accuracy were everything on the stages. I wratched it down on the last day and that's when I had better results. Pushed a little too hard on the second day, given some success on Day 1. To do it all over again, I'd have done the whole match at like 80-90% and would have done much, much better.

Great stages and a well run match. Squad 3 rocked!!!

Rich

One other note... the prize table at A2 makes the Nationals look like a joke... When I made my second pass through (picking up a prize for a friend who placed 23rd), there were still something like 15 guns on the Open division prize table. That's just in OPEN.

Ditto. I picked up for a buddy that had a Top 30 in Limited and there were 2 guns still left.

Rich

ETA: I had a fun time but a horrible match. Top 50 (yeah I know) with 9 misses (yeah.....I KNOW ;)) and still took enough off of the prize table to make back at least my prize money, more sure my plane ticket or hotel.

Edited by uscbigdawg

Ditto. I picked up for a buddy that had a Top 30 in Limited and there were 2 guns still left.

Rich

ETA: I had a fun time but a horrible match. Top 50 (yeah I know) with 9 misses (yeah.....I KNOW ;)) and still took enough off of the prize table to make back at least my prize money, more sure my plane ticket or hotel.

Rich they are mostly .22 guns..which one did you get to pick up if you came in at top 30?

I remember shooting that last year and came in 37th place. Good scores many A's nd only shot 11 D's

took home an SW .22

Edited by shooterbenedetto

All that was left for guns when I went to the limited table were S&W .22's. Nice but around $200 last itme I checked and you have to pay the transfeer fee. Figured I would stick with my ruger MKII and look for something else.

I looked down the table and saw the CED Chrono with the extra infrared screens and battery pack was still there so I grabbed that. $300+ so I was happy.

Neal in AZ