Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G-17 or G-34

sslav

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that this applies here, but......

I am in a constant cycle of switching between my G34 and G35 (9mm versus 40) every other month, because "one day at the range I clock faster with one over the over." Then it seems to change next month.

I suspect I would be doing the same with a 17 versus 34 selection.

BB

I asked this exact question 6 months ago. I got basically the same answers. I finally got the chance to shoot both of them

side by side w/ the same ammo on the same day and I shot my G22 that day too. I wanted a 9mm to get cheaper

ammo, but I liked and still like the "feel" of the .40 cal.

The Ammo was 115 WWB and the G17 was deffinately snappier than the G34. I liked the "push" of the .40 over the snap of the 9mm in the G17. But the G34 has more push and less snap. Both 9mm were very accurate.

I liked the feel of the G34 over the G17 and bought the G34. There is a difference between the two. I would highly reccomend trying both and making up your own mind over asking all of us what works for us. It may not work for you. Good luck.

T

Since it really doesn't seem to matter I say go with the G34 because it simply looks cooler than the G17. And, outside of the USPSA/IDPA circuit hardly anyone has one so it always gets the odd look at the range.

-Cuz.

I would go G35. I got one and put a Storm lake G35 9mm conversion barrel in it and works perfectly with the WWB ammunition. even use my .40 mags and extractor with it. then you have a rig for limited, limited 10 and production.

I also like the longer sight radius but that becomes a personal preference.

Edited by Coolduckboy

I would go G35. I got one and put a Storm lake G35 9mm conversion barrel in it and works perfectly with the WWB ammunition. even use my .40 mags and extractor with it. then you have a rig for limited, limited 10 and production.

I don't believe that is a legal setup for Production.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe that is a legal setup for Production.

Does anyone know "fursuhre" if it woud NOT be legal for Production????

I don't think it would be legal in production because the replacement barrel is for a caliber other than that model comes in. 2008 Production rules:

21 Authorized modifications

(Strictly limited to these

items and their stated

guidelines)

•Internal throating and polishing to improve accuracy,

reliability and function

•Sights – trimmed, adjusted, replaced, colored, or

fiber-optic.

•Slide – refinishing. Milling of slide – only as

required to insert sights.

•After-market slides and barrels – provided they are

the same length, contour, and caliber as original factory

standard.

•Grips – Internal beveling. Checkering, stippling, and

addition of grip tape or grip sleeves. (see Appendix

E4)

•Exchange of minor components (springs, safeties,

slide stops, guide rods).

Edited by jobob

Shooting the G35 with a 9mm conversion barrel would not be Production legal. That said, I'd think someone would have to be a *real* dick to protest you.

Or you would have to be a *real*... to make people want to protest against you.

It's only illegal if you get caught right?

Whatever happened to being honest?

I will not shoot my 35 with a 9mm conversion barrel in a match because it is not production legal. But I simply do not see how that rule makes any kind of sense. I have weighed the 9mm conversion barrel and it is exactly .5 OZ over the OEM G-35 barrel. So your G-35 with a conversion barrel is within the 2 oz modiffication limit. Other than the weight - which is within the legal modiffication limit - I do not see what possible competitive advantage this combo gives you.

Slav

Slav,

I would try both guns and see if you have a pref. That being said-if you practice enough you can get used to anything-not that there is a big diff between the two. The G34 has a sight radius advantage, don't know that you can say the G17 is better or really worse at anything else. The 9mm will be snappier than the 40 - that will be the thing you notice most. ;) Maybe at the next OB match we can get someone to bring both out to try.

Dave

The 34 cannot be used in Production. The max barrel length is 5", whereas the G34 has a 5.32" barrel, the same with the G35.

I'm guessing "God's Country" isn't a place where USPSA rules apply. According to USPSA rules, if the gun fits in the Production-specific box, it'll work. There's no max barrel length rule. The G34 and G35 are both very popular USPSA Production guns.

Or you would have to be a *real*... to make people want to protest against you.

It's only illegal if you get caught right?

I think it's a stupid rule when some is just trying to save some money and there's no competitive advantage.

I wouldn't lie about it.

But since there isn't a competitive advantage, I think someone would have to be an incredibly spiteful person to protest someone on this.