Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benign Positional Vertigo or Labyrinthitis

Calamity Jane

Dave literally can't move out of bed. If he moves his head he gets dizzy and sick to his stomach. Overall...he's pretty miserable. I hate it when he's miserable. :angry2: Doc says he may be this way for 2 days or up to 6 weeks. :o Saying prayers and crossing fingers that he gets better quick!

A guy I work with says his wife got this real bad. They found a doctor that looked into her inner ear someway such that he saw loose pieces in there. Crystals, the guy I know called them. The Dr. rotated her head while watching the particles move, and was able to reposition them such that she has no more problems. I thought it sounded crazy at first.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/benign_posi...go/page7_em.htm

Edited by Eager

Not sure of the spelling (meniere's disease) is where the crystals in the inner ear get out of alignment. There are doctors that specialize in the treatment and can align the crystals. The patient usually is not allowed to move their head from side to side or lay down for three days. Yep, must sleep in a chair.

Hope this helps.

Buddy

Well, its been twenty-four hours and I've basically just laid in bed, watched TV, and not moved much (if anyone needs a recap of the Iowa caucuses or a preview of the NFL widlcard games, I'm your man!). I'm better today. I can get up and move around some without losing my balance and falling down - something I used to take for granted. I still get some dizzyness and nausia but I'm hoping this indicates a short bout with this rather than a long one.

Thanks for your prayers and well wishes. They appear to have helped!

Dave

Edited by davidball

I had this about four years ago and boy did it stink. Mine went away after two weeks. Unfortunately my back went out the same day the Labrynthitis went away. THAT also took about two weeks to fully recover. All told I had a month of down time and not one fun or interesting thing to show for it.

Here is hoping your recovery is faster and smother than mine.

-ld

Well, its been twenty-four hours and I've basically just laid in bed, watched TV, and not moved much (if anyone needs a recap of the Iowa caucuses or a preview of the NFL widlcard games, I'm your man!). I'm better today. I can get up and move around some without losing my balance and falling down - something I used to take for granted. I still get some dizzyness and nausia but I'm hoping this indicates a short bout with this rather than a long one.

Thanks for your prayers and well wishes. They appear to have helped!

Dave

Carol's got a bit of experience with this --- one of her major accommodations is to try to focus on fixed objects in the room when she has to move. That seems to help her a majority of the time with vertigo....