Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not recertifying

hopalong

I feel you Hop. Sometimes, it's just down right scary as an RO. I've had more than my share of great views of muzzles and shooters with WAY too much attitude. It's annoying, and I'm gettin' there, but will trudge along for a couple more years.

I feel ya though.

Rich

I just sent my CRO correspondence course check into Kim yesterday. Don't give up on CRO's or RO's. Maybe lay low for a bit, and just paste targets. WE, (NROI) need all of the CRO's we can get. You teach us RO's alot.

After being a NROI certified CRO for 6 years I have decided not to get current.

Starting to see way too much carelessness (yes I did correct many with the appropriate methods).

Hop

Since you obviously won't be doing the hundreds of major matches around the country now........does this mean we can expect to see you show up in Dickson more often????????? :-)

Thanks for the encouragement and good words.

I did this with much thought and deliberation, just think it is the better thing for me to do (now).

Caspian 45,

NO,

The only thing I'm going to make a run at is being a better person.

Mover,

I'll see you in Dickson when I see you.

Hop

In nine days the 2008 rules become effective. Yesterday I received the NROI Review Exam for my RO certification. The instructions tell me to use the January 2004 rules for the test.

Is that a little odd to anyone else but me? If I don't take the test until 2008, which I will probably do, am I not wasting my time? Seems a little useless to test on old rules when new rules will very soon be inplace.

So it goes.

:yawn:

In nine days the 2008 rules become effective. Yesterday I received the NROI Review Exam for my RO certification. The instructions tell me to use the January 2004 rules for the test.

Is that a little odd to anyone else but me? If I don't take the test until 2008, which I will probably do, am I not wasting my time? Seems a little useless to test on old rules when new rules will very soon be inplace.

So it goes.

:yawn:

New rules = new test = time for someone to write them = time for NROI to review them = time for Sedro Woolley to implement the new exam.....

Seems it would make since to wait for recertification exam until the new tests are written and approved. Dosen't make any difference how well you know the 04 rules when the 08 rules become effective in 9 days.

Why? It's an open book exam --- so basically it tests whether you can look up the relevant rule or rules. Once you've been through the classes, and developed a little experience, you get pretty good at knowing that you need to investigate something when you see it.....

I have decided to start the process and become a level one (Ed K's club is putting on a class ) because it seems that the RO is always overloaded and can never get zoned in when it's his turn to shoot, and it is just something that anyone who takes this sport seriously should do anyway. I promise to live up to the standards that you all expect. The more RO's we have the less any one person will have to be inconvienced. I figure that if a person takes a turn running shooters then when it is his turn to be run he will give the RO a little less grief because they have both had the same headaches and can show a little mutual respect.

Seems it would make since to wait for recertification exam until the new tests are written and approved. Dosen't make any difference how well you know the 04 rules when the 08 rules become effective in 9 days.

From the NROI.org web site:

Renewal Exams

If you recently received, or are due to receive your annual renewal exam within the first quarter of the year, please note: We are still using the 2004 Rules for this exam. Be sure to follow the directions in the cover letter and use the correct rules. We're working on updating the renewal exams to reflect the new rules, but that won't happen until the next quarterly mailing.

We're working on an online version, as well.

Troy

Hey Hopalong...my advise (not that you asked for it) is to keep your CRO status current but just lay low for a while. Years ago, I let my motorcycle endorsement on my drivers license lapse because I sold my motorcycle and figured I'd never buy a new one....a few years passed and I found myself wanting a new bike again.....which meant I had to go through the process to obtain an endorsement all over again...a PITA! Do the recert exam...stay current...because some day you may wish to play "CRO" again and otherwise would have to go through the process all over again (possibly including the year wait between RO and CRO classes).

As for using the 2004 rules for the exam as opposed to the 2008 rules, this year is no different than any other year where a new rule book was implemented. Also at what point would you cut off the recerts? RO recerts apparently occur all year long, not just at year end. Suppose there is a new rule book to go into effect on Jan 1, 2010, would you hold all recerts from jan 1 2009 forward? maybe june? What is occurring is likely the only valid method.

If we get a new rule book and my cert is good for 6 more months, would you declare my status as non-current since it was made under a previous rule set?

Jim

I have decided to start the process and become a level one (Ed K's club is putting on a class ) because it seems that the RO is always overloaded and can never get zoned in when it's his turn to shoot, and it is just something that anyone who takes this sport seriously should do anyway. I promise to live up to the standards that you all expect. The more RO's we have the less any one person will have to be inconvienced. I figure that if a person takes a turn running shooters then when it is his turn to be run he will give the RO a little less grief because they have both had the same headaches and can show a little mutual respect.

Way to go! Every shooter should be certified as an RO. This really helps at local matches, then everyone on the squad can be part of the team. And it sure doesn't hurt any competitor to know the rules. :cheers: