Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero intelligence

AikiDale

Girl charged, brings knife to school to cut steak

Last Edited: Friday, 14 Dec 2007, 9:18 PM EST Created: Friday, 14 Dec 2007, 9:18 PM EST

OCALA, Fla. (AP) -- Marion County school officials say they seized a 4-1/2 inch steak knife from a 10-year-old student. She was using the knife to cut her steak.

She is facing a felony charge of bringing a weapon to school.

School employees at Sunrise Elementary School told Marion County sheriff's deputies the girl was eating lunch and using the knife to cut her steak when she was spotted by two school officials. They took the knife away from her.

The sheriff's office says the student told deputies she brought the knife to school so she could use it for her lunch.

Several students told the deputy the girl never tried to hurt or threatened anyone with the knife. The girl was arrested on the felony charge and transported to the Juvenile Assessment Center.

Kevin Christian, spokesman for Marion County Public Schools, says the district (quote): "has zero tolerance for weapons on school grounds."

Ok, I know the zero tolerance policies that schools have being as I am a teacher. But this is nuts. So take the knife tell her she can't have it at school and leave it at that. But honestly don't see a problem with a steak knife if being used to cut steak.

I can only hope that her parents go out and find a really good pro-bono lawyer to sock it to the school district. I would be the first one to complain about something like that, but with all the real problems and problem kids, these feel good measures that make people sitting behind a desk FEEL better have to be confronted and defeated.....having been on the other side, there must be more to the story than that. I dont know any Officer of mine or that I know that would file for that........ <_<

disgusted,

DougC

But honestly don't see a problem with a steak knife if being used to cut steak.

'steak' knives were NEVER intended to be used on steaks. From inception the steak knife has been an instrument of death and destruction. Here is an example. Every year 30-40 million people a year are killed by steak knives in Luxembourg. These rumors of steak knives being used to cut steak are just one more ridiculous fabrication of the gun totin', rednecked, pickup driving, cousin marrying, country music loving, NASCAR watching, useless portion of our population. We need a nationwide ban on these high tech assault style steak knives! As a first step in ending the violence these knives cause, I propose a nationwide registration on all steak knives. We also need to develope 'smart' steak knives so only authorized users are able to use these knives. If immediate action is not taken just imagine how many children, women and minorities are going to die every day at the hands of steak knives.

if anyone actually takes what I just wrote as anything other than sarcasm, please let me know. I don't want to offend you. I just want to throw a steak knife at you. :devil:

Both of my boys are hunters. They are both home-schooled part-time through a program where they attend certain core classes. Two years ago my oldest,

then a freshman realized that he had his duck-cleaning knife clipped to his pocket after a few of his friends pointed it out to him. He took it to the teacher, also a

hunter and fisherman, who met my wife in the parking lot after class - she thought it was funny that he wanted to shake hands, but when he said 'just take it' and

handed her the knife she thanked him and drove off. What a cool guy - I later brought him a handful of special flies from New Zealand.

My youngest did the same thing in fifth grade a year later, except no one had noticed it so he slipped it off the clip deep into his pocket and kept his mouth shut [he

told me about it later that day]. Needless to say both boys are now extra careful and have had no problems since.

Our school district is actually fairly cool - their policy makes allowances for accidently or innocently having a small knife with no intent of harm. Someday I'll post a

picture of my youngest's third grade Christmas project - he brought home a plain round cardboard circle to make a wreath. We hot glued Winchester AA [red] and

Remington STS [green] 12 gauge empties on it and filled the spaces with red and green .410's and polished .45's. As I dropped him off, I realized that there could be

a problem but the principal thought it was cool. His teacher liked it so much that she hung it on the door in a place of honor and one of the other teachers told us

he copied the idea! They're not all bad.

I'm the the Jake camp on this one. I crushed a bullies face in while at school with the spine of a book. Yep, it was a big Geometry text book. They might have to look into thinning those things out to a proper 'non-lethal' thickness.

:rolleyes:

Beyond the obvious stupid, I'm seriously concerned about the future. If you are worried about anti-gun legislation now, just you wait until this generation hits the voting age. The NEA is one of the biggest dangers this country is faced with.

When I was a kid I took a few of my grandfather's nazi war knives, that he brought back from Germany after WWII, to school for show and tell. I never had to turn them in and the teacher thought they were cool pieces. I don't believe the 10 yr old "needed" to take the steak knife to school but I see NO offense in it.

I bet she packed her lunch, and just thought I'm going to need a knife for this. Maybe her mom even packed it. I don't think steak is a menu item for most elementry schools.

The more this type of stuff happens, the more I think they got it right on "starship troopers"

Several students told the deputy the girl never tried to hurt or threatened anyone with the knife. The girl was arrested on the felony charge and transported to the Juvenile Assessment Center.

The total lack of judgement shown above should be a felony in all 50 states.