Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shipping ammo

shooterbenedetto

Loaded ammunition is classed as a Other Regulated Material and must be shipped as such.

Loaded ammunition must be shipped as ORM-D. Labeled as such and the words, "Cartridges, Small Arms", "UN0012", and "1.4S" on the box. Except for .22 rimfire, the ammo must be packed individually in something like a plastic ammo box or the styrofoam and cardboard boxes factory ammo comes in. Throwing it loose in an ammo can is a no-go.

Or you can just ship it and not tell anybody if you don't mind committing a felony. Remember ValueJet?

I believe UPS and FedEx both have a ORM-D service. Go to your local sporting goods store and look at the labeling on the side of a case of shotgun shells. The required info is printed on the box.

Edited to add: I'm used to doing shipments to almost international standards due to sending stuff outside the US territorial waters. For run of mill domestic shipments the UN number and hazard class placarding is not required for ORM-D shipments.

Edited by Hank Ellis

When I shipped ammo for nationals, I called UPS to arrange home pick up. AllI did was write ORM-D on the package with a big black marker, paid with a credit card and it was a done deal. It really was a piece of cake.

Yeah, I thought the sticker was required, but the last time I shipped it UPS, they did this marker thing, too. Guess a label's a label. :)

OK guys. Had to get to work to get my reference material. It's a long post so bear with me. All regulation references are from Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

Besides these shipping regulations be aware that BATFE regulations also apply. Don't ship to felons, kids, etc.

========================================

Sec. 173.63 Packaging exceptions.

(B) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices. (1)

Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices (which are used to

project fastening devices) which have been classed as a Division 1.4S

explosive may be reclassed, offered for transportation, and transported

as ORM-D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (B)(2) of

this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of

subparts E (Labeling) and F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter.

Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped

as ORM-D material is limited to:

(i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun;

(ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;

(iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating

explosive projectiles;

(iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for

rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and

(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening

devices.

(2) Packaging for cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power

devices as ORM-D material must be as follows:

(i) Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions

which fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips;

(ii) Primers must be protected from accidental initiation;

(iii) Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in

securely-closed strong outside packagings;

(iv) Maximum gross weight is limited to 30 kg (66 pounds) per

package; and

(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening

devices and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in

strong outside packagings.

----------------------------------------

What this means is you can ship ammunition up to and including 8ga shotshells or .50 cal ammunition. The ammo must be packed in such a way that accidental primer ignition doesn't happen. Plastic ammo boxes are fine as is the way factory ammo comes. Pack shotshells the way the factory does it. .22 ammo only may be packed loose in a box. Pack each box inside another corrogated cardboard box. Used wadded newspaper to keep the boxes from rattling around during shipment. Max gross weight of each package is 66 pounds. If you are shipping a large amount, it has to broken up into lots no heavier than 66 pounds each.

Now that you've got it all packed, lets label it. Since we've reclassed this ammunition from a Class 1.4S Explosive to ORM-D by following the regs in 173.63 the labeling and paperwork requirements are less stringent.

Sec. 172.316 Packagings containing materials classed as ORM-D.

(a) Each non-bulk packaging containing a material classed as ORM-D

must be marked on at least one side or end with the ORM-D designation

immediately following or below the proper shipping name of the material.

The ORM designation must be placed within a rectangle that is

approximately 6.3 mm (0.25 inches) larger on each side than the

designation. The designation for ORM-D must be:

(1) ORM-D-AIR for an ORM-D that is prepared for air shipment and

packaged in accordance with the provisions of Sec. 173.27 of this

subchapter.

(2) ORM-D for an ORM-D other than as described in paragraph (a)(1)

of this section.

(B) When the ORM-D marking including the proper shipping name can

not be affixed on the package surface, it may be on an attached tag.

© The marking ORM-D is the certification by the person offering

the packaging for transportation that the material is properly

described, classed, packaged, marked and labeled (when appropriate) and

in proper condition for transportation according to the applicable

regulations of this subchapter. This form of certification does not

preclude the requirement for a certificate on a shipping paper when

required by subpart C of this part.

On at least one side, not the top, place label that states "ORM-D". Just above the label you just slapped on the box put the proper shipping name "CARTRIDGES, SMALL ARMS" in printed letters. I've created a JPEG that has a decent sized ORM-D label with the proper shipping name as required and attached it to the post.

NOW, you can take the package to your shipper and you're 100% legal and by-the-book. By affixing the ORM-D label to the box you are certifying that what is inside is what you are saying it is and that you packed it as it should be. No further paperwork is required.

post-3027-1197630649.jpg

Edited by Hank Ellis

I was planning on going to the Fl open also and was wondering why people ship ammo. I know you can take guns on the plane, but how much ammo? Do you do it because of the weight? I would bring 300 rnds to the open.

Randy

Check with the airline that you plan to use. Generally you are allowed 5kg (11 pounds).

Here's an out. Suppose your other half is coming with you to hang out, shop, or whatever. That's 11 pounds is per person. Spouse 11 + your 11 is 22 pounds.

And don't forget the airlines limit of 50lbs per bag.

No -- you can have ammo and the gun in the same bag. Last time I flew to a match, however, the TSA secondary screeners had to check with "a supervisor" because they'd never seen so much ammo in a suitcase before (5 x boxes of 50), and it was a minor wait and hassle.

I think also think it's a good idea to dig up some factory ammo boxes from the trash at the range, or wherever, to again smooth the way.

I have had no trouble marking the box "ORM-D" on the outside, and taking it to a UPS Store, even. That said, I don't know WTF UPS does to the boxes enroute -- twice now, both times to Frostproof (FL Open and a class) it arrived with the MTM cases busted up, and the ammo loose. :(

• 2 weeks later...

A "UPS Store" is no good. It has to be done at a UPS facility.

Someone stated you can travel with ammo in the same luggage as your gun...

That may be true with one airline but not another. Federal regs say you can but an airline can forbid this.

So...I've used UPS on multiple occasions. Once needed 2000 rounds overnighted. UPS picked it up and it got shipped to my house...the next day (yeah...I put the address in the wrong place on the box).

But, my Dad picked it up for me and then shipped it down to AZ. Got it a day late, but thankfully flew with 600 rounds, so I was okay.

No issues otherwise.

Rich

I think also think it's a good idea to dig up some factory ammo boxes from the trash at the range, or wherever, to again smooth the way.

I have had no trouble marking the box "ORM-D" on the outside, and taking it to a UPS Store, even. That said, I don't know WTF UPS does to the boxes enroute -- twice now, both times to Frostproof (FL Open and a class) it arrived with the MTM cases busted up, and the ammo loose. :(

Booradley,

You should ship your ammo in factory boxes so once you're done with the match or class you can just throw away the boxes and you'll have less stuff to bring back home with you. Along the lines of using factory boxes, use a garbage bag or 2 to line the box you'll be shipping your ammo in. That way in case the outer and inner box does happen to break the garbage bag will keep most of the ammo together.

• 2 months later...

I need 2k rounds for a class I'm taking at USA shooting academy this month. What do you think is the cheapest way to get boxes capable of storing 2000 rounds of 40S&W assuming I need them soon?

thanks

atek3

When I shipped ammo for nationals, I called UPS to arrange home pick up. AllI did was write ORM-D on the package with a big black marker, paid with a credit card and it was a done deal. It really was a piece of cake.

Smart move. Did the same & had NO issues. I even used a factory cardboard ammo box that already had the ORM-D printed on it (ask for one at the gunshop). Taking ammo to a counter person is just asking for an argument. Follow the laws, mark it right, and leave it for the driver - he is only concerned with the bar code you attach.

What about the corporate policy to use a UPS hub? Corporate policy is only corporate policy. I.e. - private policy is NOT law nor regulation. Just policy, that's it. Most you have to lose is UPS failing to honor your insurance claim (how often have you had to file UPS insurance claims? I've never had to). What is the value of one batch of your reloads? What is the value of 2 or more trips to the UPS hub to fight with ignorant counter monkeys?

I'll take the home pick-up route thanks.

Edited by Carlos

Midway has some cheap ammo boxes to pack you ammo. Then pack those boxes in a larger box. I usually tape all the seams and in the horizontal and vertical middles. It is over-engineering the big box, but it ensures there will be no breakage of the box.

Walked into my hub today with a 50 cal ammo can full, duct taped shut. I wrote ORM D and cartridges, small arms on the side with a sharpie.......Went up to the counter and told the lady that it was real heavy....."is it ammo or something....Yes, ammo....." ''yeah, I wondered, it looked like it".

I paid the lady and she told me thanks for the business. A little customer service goes a long way......

Now if it just is sitting at the Motel when I get there for the US Steel Nats...... :wacko:

DougC