Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many mags are you SS folks carrying?

Paradiddle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks - looks like 5 is the plan. I was planning on using a loader mag as well. Is a "barney" mag one you carry in your pants pocket in case you really screw somthing up? I've not heard that term.

Are you guys carrying 5 putting all of them on your left side behind the hip bone, or do you run one behind your holster on the right side? Is getting a couple double holders and one single a good idea - I run a Wilderness belt and have a 34-36 inch waist depending on how much beer I've had....

Jeff

I'm carrying 5. I also use a seperate load and barney mag.

Same here. 5 on the belt. Load with a barney from the hip pocket then load a full mag from the front pocket for 9 in the gun at start. You can get by with 4 sometimes (perhaps) but having 6 allows you to choose your reload points with a little latitude for stage variations.

yep - 5 on the belt, one in the gun, and a Barney mag - which I think harkens back to Barney Fife, who carried one bullet in his pocket in case he needed it in TV land on Andy Griffith, wasn't it??

I use 5 single mag pouches from Comp-Tac.

Thanks - looks like 5 is the plan. I was planning on using a loader mag as well. Is a "barney" mag one you carry in your pants pocket in case you really screw somthing up? I've not heard that term.

Are you guys carrying 5 putting all of them on your left side behind the hip bone, or do you run one behind your holster on the right side? Is getting a couple double holders and one single a good idea - I run a Wilderness belt and have a 34-36 inch waist depending on how much beer I've had....

Jeff

A barney mag is what you use to put the first round in the gun....from Barney Fife who only was given one bullet :P

So, you put a round in the chamber, put that mag back in your pocket, grab the other full mag from your pocket and put it in the gun. You've got 9 in the gun, five mags of 8 on the belt and your barney mag in your pocket. If you're tricky you keep an extra round to top off the barney mag so it's got 8 too. None of that matters if you're shooting .40 since you can put 9 in the first mag.

I've got a 31" waist and can't make two doubles and a single fit starting at the point of my hip bone so I ordered a Comp-Tac Belt Feed. Another option is to go with a quad pouch like the one Blade-Tech sells. It's either that, or I'm reaching back to my spine for the last mag or two!

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_in...557b58637716ede

Edited by G-ManBart

I have 5 carriers, but on most stages I'll carry 4 on the belt and one in the gun. Barney round comes out of the last one on the belt. Only for treacherous 32 round stages with inconvenient reloads will I go with 5 on the belt and one in the gun.

I carry six on the belt, the barney being the last towards the back, in two BT doubles and two Blackhawk singles. But I have the real estate to carry another 4 if needed. :cheers: First load mag in the pocket.

I use 6 771's and Barney from #6. It is located more near the RO than me. But, on long stages I leave them all full. I haven't seen a 50 round stage for a few years but you never know. Besides, I never heard anybody sniveling " I would of done much better on that stage if I didn't have so many mags"! :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

Four on the belt and two in my pocket when I walk up to the line. Load 8+1 from my pocket and I am then good to go for %95 of the stages out there. If I get to a match and see a stage that is going to require more then four reloads then I will put on an extra double mag carrier but I try to avoid that.

I have 6 pouches on my belt but usually only have 5 on there and the 5th one is my LAMR mag with a barney in my pocket. If there is a stage where an extra reload or 2 won't hurt me I'll fill up all six if the round count is high...actually I don't think I have ever used even the 4th mag.....

I'll keep it setup the way it is though. I would rather have the option of not needing them and having them than needing them and not having them. Its kind of like having 3 mags for limited...you shouldn't need 40 rounds much less 60 <_< but I always have that extra mag just in case. I would hate to have a 32 round course be on my last mag and have a problem where I need to dump it.

Also put velcro on the back of those pouches....I get saggy belt syndrome if I don't.

Edited by steel1212